PackerTraxx
8 years ago
I would be happy with trading up for Ragland as I believe he would have a immediate impact on our D, a position of need. TE Henry at our current pick I also like. If his Combine backs up what we've seen on the field he would be a very good value and also have an immediate impact. Third choice would be an LT that fell and was too good to pass up.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
8 years ago
Please not a TE in the first round.

Keep building this damn defense!!!!!
UserPostedImage
sschind
8 years ago

Please not a TE in the first round.

Keep building this damn defense!!!!!

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 

That's my gut feeling as well. I think the 2015 offense was an anomaly and they will rebound just fine into a top unit once again. The defense has come on and I think continuing to improving that will do more to building a complete team.
Of course it all depends on the player. If a guy like Ragland falls to within a reasonable spot (Low 20's) I wouldn't be opposed to moving up o get him. My thing is I can only go off what other people say so I am not going to advocate any player over any other. One guys opinion that there are no TE's worthy of a first round grade means no more to me than the next guys opinion that we should grab Henry if he is available.

I don't think Ted will draft a slouch. His pick may not work out but I do believe that whomever he picks it will be the guy that he thinks is the best player and value and for me that has to be good enough for me since I can't form my own opinion as I know none of these guys from watching them play.

That's why I try to look at as many mocks as possible. Not that I think one experts opinion is worth more than another but if I see one guy having us take a player that several others do or even better a player that several others have going before us at least I know that the guy probably isn't a reach.
Rockmolder
8 years ago

SF's Harbaalke went nuts drafting guys that fell due to injury and it was part of the reason for their collapse. I believe the key to winning is production by first contract studs. About 100% of rookie production is lost if an injured player redshirts or misses camp and half a season of practice. Even worse rookie production isnt realized until 2nd year; 2nd year production isnt realized until 3rd year, etc. And then a decision on the player's longterm value must be made after seeing 3rd years of production instead of 4.

And sometimes it takes 2 years for a players' confidence in the injured body part to return and sometimes not all the athleticism returns. And some guys never get over an injury [See Derrick Sherrod, Justin Harrell].

Imagine if we lost the CHEAP production of Shields' or Daniels' 4th year because they redshirted as rookies; and 3rd and 4th years if recovery took 2 years. And then try to imagine trying to have a meeting of the minds w/ their agents as to their long term value at the end of their 3rd year or 2nd year [if recovery took 2 years]. All it would take is one of 31 GMs to have an exaggerated sense of their potential and we'd lose them. Oh BTW, some teams MUST sign FA's to meet the minimum spending requirements.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I understand what you're saying, but where do you draw that line?

Jaylon Smith is such a good player that, if he doesn't get injured, he goes top 12 in this draft. A guy like Shazier went 15th and he isn't as complete a player as Smith is. There's no way he gets past the Bears AND Saints. If a guy like that falls to 27, do you pass over him because he doesn't produce for you in the first ten games of the season?

I've seen him being compared to Derrick Johnson a lot and I feel like it's a very fair comparison. You don't get a complete guy like that very often. Especially not if you're continually winning and picking at the end of the draft.

Do you let all of that slip and draft a guy like Ragland, who very much looks like a 2 down linebacker, because of the potential that his injury lingers on and you only get three years out of him, rather than four? Then, if you're still on the fence, you can add that fifth year for a first rounder. It's not cheap, but it's not ridiculous either. And if he's going to be close to as good as he can be, you resign him after that, as well.

I understand that production on rookie contracts is important. With so much of your money tied up in a QB contract and some other anchors on your offense and defense, you can't go around and sign everyone. I love what a guy like Casey Hayward has done for us on his rookie deal. You do, though, have to keep looking for the best players and build the best team. If you can pick someone up who can eventually be one of those anchors, it'd be crazy to let them slip out of reach over unlikely potential contract problems down the road.

Obviously you do not fill your roster with guys like this. That's where Harbaalke went wrong. Nothing wrong with taking a shot on someone this talented once in a while if he does make it to our pick, though.
millertime
8 years ago
Does Henry remind anyone else of Travis Kelce? I was just watching some highlights and they seems similar (although white guys always get compared to white guys for some reason).

Is Ragland athletic enough to play third down? He will likely be paired with either Barrington or Ryan who are not really fluid in pass coverage. I also expect Joe Thomas to improve. He seems like the only potential 3 down ILB on our squad right now though he needs to bulk up a bit.
Rockmolder
8 years ago

Does Henry remind anyone else of Travis Kelce? I was just watching some highlights and they seems similar (although white guys always get compared to white guys for some reason).

Is Ragland athletic enough to play third down? He will likely be paired with either Barrington or Ryan who are not really fluid in pass coverage. I also expect Joe Thomas to improve. He seems like the only potential 3 down ILB on our squad right now though he needs to bulk up a bit.

Originally Posted by: millertime 

I very much doubt it. Maybe if you get him involved by going after the passer, which he's quite decent at, or in some zone schemes, but a lot of TEs will destroy him one on one.

On the other side there's Darron Lee, a guy who is the exact opposite. Misses tackles, doesn't have an old school LB frame, but has speed and roaming ability.

I guess that, if you have any intentions of pairing our new pick up with Ryan or Barrington, like you said, Lee might be the better pick. He draws some comparisons to Shazier, as well, who we reportedly set to take if he fell to us in the 2014 draft.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (14h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (15h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.