wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

By not spending big money on other team's unrestricted free agents, GM Ted Thompson is able to keep his own players. When's the last time the Packers lost a really good young starter? The answer is offensive lineman Mike Wahle in 2005. Since then, Thompson has been able to lock up, among others, Bryan Bulaga, MorganContinue Reading›› 

Continue Reading @ Michael Rodney 

Michael Rodney wrote:

We had discussed Uncle Teddy's shortcomings many times. But what else do we have to talk about this time of the year?
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago
And how many times has Ted been content to re-sign his own average/serviceable starter instead of going after a FA who would be an upgrade?

"Signing your own players" is important. But it's also important to recognize that many of your players can possibly be improved on.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
nerdmann
8 years ago
I'm still the only one to have commented on the article at the site. I guess it's because I'm right, and everybody knows it.

The last couple years, I thought the biggest thing that prevented us from succeeding in the playoffs was Mike’s fear-based game management. Belichek doesn’t mind running up the score. For some reason, Mike just emotionally clenches down and wants to run out the clock in the third quarter.

Overall though, I think Ted’s biggest problem when it comes to players is the training staff. It just seems like our guys are hurt more often and more seriously than other teams. That one year Bulaga popped a knee ligament in the Family Night scrimmage, and kept on playing for the rest of the series.

I mean, a dude is just playing, to traumatic impact, no twisting, and his knee just falls apart? What’s up with that?

How many GMs draft even ONE Nick Collins, much less, then having to turn around and find another one? The list goes on. Jermicheal Finley. Ted drafts Eddie Lacy AND JOhnathan Franklin in the same draft. Only gets to keep one of them.

Not all these guys have injury histories either. Ted gambled on Justin Harrell, but look at some of these other guys. Derrick Sherrod was starting to stabilize when he went down too. Talk all the smack you want about how he was a bust, but iirc he had no training camp due to the lockout, then they tried to move him to G, which was never going to work, the dude is just too enormous and lanky. But yeah. Sherrod was just getting his feet under him when he broke the HELL out of that leg. Keep in mind Ted had a 4th rounder who came out of nowhere and has held the LT position down for a few years.

Ted also had a guy (Tretter) who could have been serviceable last year, but he didn’t see the field until what, 3 weeks later?

What’s that trainer’s name, the guy who works for Stanford football? He came in and reduced injuries by 87% in his first year there. They’ve been doing pretty well over there. So this is not a coincidence.

Anyway, these guys would all be in their prime right now. Terrance Murphy. That dude was the real deal. Even a guy like Dez Bishop, gone to injury. Ted gets us plenty of players, it’s just that a large portion of the time, he has to go out and do it all over again.

And he DOES.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
8 years ago

And how many times has Ted been content to re-sign his own average/serviceable starter instead of going after a FA who would be an upgrade?

"Signing your own players" is important. But it's also important to recognize that many of your players can possibly be improved on.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I don't think Ted questions whether some outside players could theoretically help the Packers. I think the risk or uncertainly just bothers him, especially when usually coupled with an inflated value and potential compensatory selection implications. When players are drafted, developed, and have only played for the Packers, they are essentially indoctrinated in their philosophy, as Greg Jennings alluded in the past. I think "outsiders" sometimes make Ted nervous. Maybe he thinks they will come in and start saying things to young players like "Well team X does things this way, and it's much better, etc." Ted just has to feel completely comfortable with the risks of free agency, and most of the time, other General Managers will be willing to take more risks than Ted Thompson, which is why most of the free agents sign elsewhere.
Bigbyfan
8 years ago
I miss the days of "I Love Greg Jennings" threads.... now every thread seems to end up with people arguing /complaining about the same two things.
blank
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

I miss the days of "I Love Greg Jennings" threads.... now every thread seems to end up with people arguing /complaining about the same two things.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

You're more than welcome to create topics. There is a little Current Headlines thing on the left or you can go to Packers > Current Headlines and find the most current 50 headlines. It is FREE. 😁 It does not cost you a single penny and only a few moments of your time. And I'm seeing a lot more discussions more so than arguing/complaining lately. Sorry you're seeing just those two things.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago
Will his way work when we don't have a MVP/HoF caliber QB?
wpr
  • wpr
8 years ago

I'm still the only one to have commented on the article at the site. I guess it's because I'm right, and everybody knows it.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Ancient history. Look at this year's FA list. Tell me what Terrance Murphy's injury has to do with not picking up the phone and making a causal inquiry about Trevathan?
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

As I said discussing Uncle Teddy and his shortcomings is all we have at this time of the year. Do you want to talk about Gregorious? Ok begin...
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
8 years ago

I don't think Ted questions whether some outside players could theoretically help the Packers. I think the risk or uncertainly just bothers him, especially when usually coupled with an inflated value and potential compensatory selection implications. When players are drafted, developed, and have only played for the Packers, they are essentially indoctrinated in their philosophy, as Greg Jennings alluded in the past. I think "outsiders" sometimes make Ted nervous. Maybe he thinks they will come in and start saying things to young players like "Well team X does things this way, and it's much better, etc." Ted just has to feel completely comfortable with the risks of free agency, and most of the time, other General Managers will be willing to take more risks than Ted Thompson, which is why most of the free agents sign elsewhere.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

ANY GM in ANY sport who will not look at all the avenues available to him/her in order to improve the team is suspect. You can't play scared and you can't manage scared. We have seen Mikey's failures because he is afraid to lose and then usually does. Let's blame the QB, special teams or fill in the blank player for the loss.

Uncle Teddy can not afford to limit the opportunities that are out there. Well actually he can. Too many fans are more than happy with a 10-6 record and then go 0-1 or 1-1 in the playoffs. Teddy has the easiest gig on the planet and he knows it. There is no owner looking over his shoulder. They print money any time they want to. Fans hand it over all day long and are happy about it. If anyone dares question him, fans scream about how spoiled we have it because xyz team has not made the playoffs in 50 years.

These fans then point to all the huge contracts that other teams give and the players who fail to live up to those contracts. But that is not every single FA every single year. You don't have to over pay and at the same time you don't have to dumpster dive either. Maybe Trevathan wouldn't be the answer. We will never know because Uncle Teddy wouldn't even call his agent. What would have happened if he bumped the price one time? Ryan Pace and Co would have bumped their offer at least once too. Fox wanted him too badly to only make one offer and then walk away. Especially given Teddy's MO of never going after quality FAs. They would have assumed this would not turn into a long drawn out bidding war..
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.