TheKanataThrilla
7 years ago
What was your overall impression of the draft? I actually shake my head and wonder if Ted is a member of this site as to be honest I think he hit almost bang on the number of players at the positions that has been talked about since we got knocked out of the playoffs. The only non-select was a TE in most draft discussions.

I hoped for 3 starters in this draft. We hopefully get 2 next year and at least 3 the following. I think they have Martinez and CMIII both doing that back and forth ILB/OLB role.

Not a splash draft, but hard not to say makes sense to almost every pick. I would have preferred a RB or TE to the WR pick, but obviously Ted has the good intel about this kid as I have no clue and now will be tape watching to see him play. The write up on Lowry was a higer round pick, but again media vs scouts and our scouts seeing a scheme fit.

Pretty darn happy with this crop.

Biggest disappointment was seeing Sterling Shepard and Su'a Cravens drafted by other teams. I think those kids will be great NFL players. Good luck in New York and Washington boys.
musccy
7 years ago

Not a splash draft, but hard not to say makes sense to almost every pick. I would have preferred a RB or TE to the WR pick, but obviously Ted has the good intel about this kid as I have no clue and now will be tape watching to see him play. The write up on Lowry was a higer round pick, but again media vs scouts and our scouts seeing a scheme fit.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I was hoping for a RB too, but overall I'm as happy as I can be with some quick youtube analysis, needs met, and upside of players.

I like the WR, he seems to have the speed they desperately lack, decent hands and could have been a true BAP guy.

If there was a theme in this draft, it seemed to be character. Ted even alluded to that with McCarren that the guys would "fit in the locker room" or something like that.

DakotaT
7 years ago
We didn't get my 6-5 Megatronlike wide receiver to make Aaron's job a cakewalk, but I didn't expect that to happen. Pretty crappy year for offensive talent overall. Love the first two picks, both will be starters eventually. The rest we wait for training camp to see what we have.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
7 years ago
This year was a bit underwhelming for me after realizing I paid very little attention to individual players in college football over the past year. But I also felt a bit liberated by that. I didn't have to worry about having any jealousy toward another team getting "my player". I didn't expect to know any player we picked but then Kenny Clark's name was called and I finally realized the feeling people get when their team chooses their player. I just didn't know I had one, so cool beans, eh?
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago
Overall GB did a pretty good job filling the needs. It would have been nice to see a RB or TE picked up but no team can fill all their needs via the draft.
Selecting Davis in the 5th makes me wonder if Abbrederis or Janis will be expendable.
The same with the addition of Fackrell. It looks like either Elliott or McCray or perhaps both won’t make the final cut.
I doubt the draft will return to Chicago for 10 years. NFL Inc has been slobbering all over themselves now that they have a team in LA again. It wouldn’t surprise me to see it held in LA, Dallas, Phoenix, San Jose and perhaps even Miami before it returns to Chicago. The cold temps and rain didn’t help their case.
OT was a real need. If not this year then next year for sure. Perhaps an OG instead of Murphy. I can’t see them signing both Sitton and Lang. That would mean either Taylor moves into the starting role or a rookie will.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
7 years ago

Overall GB did a pretty good job filling the needs. It would have been nice to see a RB or TE picked up but no team can fill all their needs via the draft.
Selecting Davis in the 5th makes me wonder if Abbrederis or Janis will be expendable.
The same with the addition of Fackrell. It looks like either Elliott or McCray or perhaps both won’t make the final cut.
I doubt the draft will return to Chicago for 10 years. NFL Inc has been slobbering all over themselves now that they have a team in LA again. It wouldn’t surprise me to see it held in LA, Dallas, Phoenix, San Jose and perhaps even Miami before it returns to Chicago. The cold temps and rain didn’t help their case.
OT was a real need. If not this year then next year for sure. Perhaps an OG instead of Murphy. I can’t see them signing both Sitton and Lang. That would mean either Taylor moves into the starting role or a rookie will.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yeah, could make Abbrederis expendable. Dude's mainly a kick returner.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
7 years ago

I can’t see them signing both Sitton and Lang. That would mean either Taylor moves into the starting role or a rookie will.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I've never understood this kind of thinking. Why wouldn't we sign Sitton and Lang. The cap can be manipulated. We don't have that many years left with Rodgers, isn't it about time we kept him protected.

You let marginal and injury prone players like Bahktiari and Bulaga walk, not proven lunch pail guys like Sitton and Lang.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago

I've never understood this kind of thinking. Why wouldn't we sign Sitton and Lang. The cap can be manipulated. We don't have that many years left with Rodgers, isn't it about time we kept him protected.

You let marginal and injury prone players like Bahktiari and Bulaga walk, not proven lunch pail guys like Sitton and Lang.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I never said I wanted to let eitehr of the guards go. I said I don't think TeddyT will cough up the dough to keep them both. He likes sitting on that pile of cash. He loves being $10 mill under the cap. That way if Aaron Rodgers should lead the to the promised land yet again, Teddy can be a little more smug about it. He did it his way. With all his very own players. No FAs that count against him. Almost no players that were on any other team in the league AND a boat load of extra cash too.
UserPostedImage
K_Buz
7 years ago
The Packers really like guys out of the Pac12.
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

Best pick: Second-round pick Jason Spriggs is an impressive tackle with a ton of athletic ability. He fits in with exactly what the Packers want from their lineman.

Questionable move: Waiting until the fifth round to draft a receiver. I know Jordy Nelson is coming back, but off a major knee surgery. They need more deep speed.

Third-day gem: Sixth-round defensive end Dean Lowry is a down end in their 3-4 scheme and will be a guy who makes the roster.

Analysis: I liked the pick of Kenny Clark in the first round and Spriggs in the second. Those are both vintage Ted Thompson picks. They needed help at linebacker and used two picks at that position, which was smart.

Grade:

Pete Prisco wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.