Barfarn
7 years ago

Actually, I don't recall ever advocating drafting Ragland unless a whole list of players with 2nd/3rd round value were all gone.

And the reason I dropped him into the third or early fourth on my board was the same reason I dropped Martinez to the 6th. The lack of speed.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Speed...Schmeed

Darren Lee and Martinez are 10 yards away from a play. Martinez recognizes the play .1 seconds faster than Lee because he's a better football player. Who gets to ball carrier first?

Answer: Martinez

Once there, who makes the better tackle? Answer: Martinez

At 20 yards, under the same conditions, Lee gets there .03 seconds before Martinez; but Martinez is more efficient at the tackle. There respective value: a wash.

At 10, 20, 40 yards from play, Martinez correctly reads his key and immediately moves to make play...Lee takes a step in wrong direction keying on ball instead of his playbook key...who gets there first? Answer Martinez every time.

Now take off the shorts and put on some pads, who's faster? I think the speed gap closes.

Then put blockers trying to interfere with their respective path to the ball, who is better at working through that traffic? Answer: Martinez, so if there's blocker in the way, despite their respective speed, Martinez gets their first.

Today, Martinez in the more valuable ILB. Going forward, if Lee learns the game at a much faster pace than Martinez; then unequivocally Lee will be the better player that that time. But to date Lee has not been the faster learner.

Speed counts, but it is a relatively small variable compared to other things, like ability to QUICKLY diagnose a play or to know your playbook assignments.

Oh and about "speed;" do you know what Martinez's fastest 40 time was? Answer: 4.52!
7 years ago

Speed...Schmeed

Darren Lee and Martinez are 10 yards away from a play. Martinez recognizes the play .1 seconds faster than Lee because he's a better football player. Who gets to ball carrier first?

Answer: Martinez

Once there, who makes the better tackle? Answer: Martinez

At 20 yards, under the same conditions, Lee gets there .03 seconds before Martinez; but Martinez is more efficient at the tackle. There respective value: a wash.

At 10, 20, 40 yards from play, Martinez correctly reads his key and immediately moves to make play...Lee takes a step in wrong direction keying on ball instead of his playbook key...who gets there first? Answer Martinez every time.

Now take off the shorts and put on some pads, who's faster? I think the speed gap closes.

Then put blockers trying to interfere with their respective path to the ball, who is better at working through that traffic? Answer: Martinez, so if there's blocker in the way, despite their respective speed, Martinez gets their first.

Today, Martinez in the more valuable ILB. Going forward, if Lee learns the game at a much faster pace than Martinez; then unequivocally Lee will be the better player that that time. But to date Lee has not been the faster learner.

Speed counts, but it is a relatively small variable compared to other things, like ability to QUICKLY diagnose a play or to know your playbook assignments.

Oh and about "speed;" do you know what Martinez's fastest 40 time was? Answer: 4.52!

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I agree with the general idea of what you're saying, however have you actually watched Lee play ball? The difference in speed is INCREDIBLE with pads on. Watch the Playoff game against Alabama if you want a summary of what Lee has the potential to do.
Barfarn
7 years ago

I agree with the general idea of what you're saying, however have you actually watched Lee play ball? The difference in speed is INCREDIBLE with pads on. Watch the Playoff game against Alabama if you want a summary of what Lee has the potential to do.

Originally Posted by: FLORIDA PACKER88 

Bama game [Lee was a RS fresh in that game]?

Lee looks faster in pads; but dont see the difference as "incredible." If we look at 4.47 to 4.71 [that's .24 seconds over 40 yards] at combine in underwear, that gap closes with pads. The timed gap is further closed with Martinez looking more fluid in pads [This is also represented by his 4.2 and 6.98 in shuttle and cone to Lee's 4.2 and 7.12].

And yes, in Bama game Lee had 2 sacks and another TFL, pretty good; but that is 3 plays. What did he do the other 60-70 plays? Note: no one blocked Lee on 1 sack and he benefited on a coverage sack for 2nd [because OSU plays with 11 studs on D]. Lee had one pressure and made a few other nice plays. But…

At 9:53 1Q. Lee comes to LOS on left probably with outside contain and should flow to the ball always maintain leverage to the backside. But he chases ball carrier running right, realizing too late the ball was faked and QB runs up middle past him.

9:33 1Q, QB hands off ball to Henry who goes right. QB fake sprints out left and Lee again bites, taking a false step preventing from recovering and chasing down Henry who ran for a 25 yard TD.

5:11 1Q- ball is faked to full back up middle, Lee takes a false step inside and pitch goes to RB who runs outside. Lee uses his speed to recover and avoid a WR block to get outside allowing him only to get a shoe string tackle. But he goes high on Henry who just swats him away like a mosquito. [Note Lee was a missed-tackling machine, OSU stats show 22 in 2 years].

This is 3 consecutive athletic plays of a bad football player.

This last play is the perfect example of which I speak. Martinez probably doesn’t take the false step inside and beats Lee to Henry outside. Maybe Martinez doesn’t make tackle either, Henry is pretty good, but he at least is in better position and slows him down more.

Lee’s lesser awareness of the ball and taking more false steps makes Martinez the guy who gets to ball carrier first, notwithstanding that in skivvies from a track start Lee USUALLY [not always] times faster.
nerdmann
7 years ago
Randall and Rollins didn't have the best timed speeds last year as DBs. But they're ball hawks. They know how to play the ball in the air, and they know how to make a play on it.

I heard PFF rated Martinez at the top of college football in coverage.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Yerko
7 years ago

Actually, I don't recall ever advocating drafting Ragland unless a whole list of players with 2nd/3rd round value were all gone.

And the reason I dropped him into the third or early fourth on my board was the same reason I dropped Martinez to the 6th. The lack of speed.

Wade- I haven't seen your board so I apologize for lumping you into the category. Unfortunately, when I find myself bored I lurk the comment section of the Green Bay Packers FB page and there were tons of fans that were pissed we didn't draft Ragland and in the same sentence were calling Martinez slow. It just blows my mind sometimes. I shouldn't bring that filth into the PH discussion board.

As far as coverage, what do you make of PFF grading him as the best coverage ILB of the draft? Aside from Darron Lee (who was already selected) and Myles Jack, is there anyone else you would have suggested they took? These are really the only two guys that could have the speed you are referring to and Myles Jack injury is a huge red flag.

I really think Martinez will turn out to be a good player in this scheme. I am not expecting an immediate impact but I am hopeful that he will be groomed to be a good ILB for the Packers.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

Wade- I haven't seen your board

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

Here is Wade's board ...
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
7 years ago

Wade- I haven't seen your board so I apologize for lumping you into the category. Unfortunately, when I find myself bored I lurk the comment section of the Green Bay Packers FB page and there were tons of fans that were pissed we didn't draft Ragland and in the same sentence were calling Martinez slow. It just blows my mind sometimes. I shouldn't bring that filth into the PH discussion board.

As far as coverage, what do you make of PFF grading him as the best coverage ILB of the draft? Aside from Darron Lee (who was already selected) and Myles Jack, is there anyone else you would have suggested they took? These are really the only two guys that could have the speed you are referring to and Myles Jack injury is a huge red flag.

I really think Martinez will turn out to be a good player in this scheme. I am not expecting an immediate impact but I am hopeful that he will be groomed to be a good ILB for the Packers.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

Most people are with you. I guess what I saw (and Kevin will be quick to point out that I haven't seen much) disagreed with the PFF grade. But, as many have pointed out, none of the GMs picked Billings at DT until well into the fourth round, and I had him being worth a trade up of 5-10 positions by the Packers in round 1.

In short, I don't know much.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
7 years ago

Here is Wade's board ...
UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Er, except I don't do the "keep calm" part very well. Wasn't it just last year when I went on a huge rant about the idiocy of Thompson's draft?

I also remember thinking Nick Collins was a really dumb pick at the time. Really missed on that one.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
mi_keys
7 years ago

Er, except I don't do the "keep calm" part very well. Wasn't it just last year when I went on a huge rant about the idiocy of Thompson's draft?

I also remember thinking Nick Collins was a really dumb pick at the time. Really missed on that one.

Well, here's to hoping you're as wrong about Martinez as you were Collins and that you're just as right about every other pick. Will be one hell of a draft then. [cheers]
Born and bred a cheesehead
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

My board would simply be 🤷 lol

I lost my ambition to complain when Greg Jennings was taken over Chad Jackson and witnessing who was wrong (me) and who was right (Packers). It was clear I can't trust ESPN or anything I read about players. Simply not worth getting worked up about. I'm just not one of the grades before pads kinda fellas.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.