Mucky Tundra
7 years ago

I've never understood this kind of thinking. Why wouldn't we sign Sitton and Lang. The cap can be manipulated. We don't have that many years left with Rodgers, isn't it about time we kept him protected.

You let marginal and injury prone players like Bahktiari and Bulaga walk, not proven lunch pail guys like Sitton and Lang.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Concerning not resigning Sitton, age (turns 30 in June) and mounting injuries: torn toe ligament in 2014 and back trouble in 2015. The back thing is more concerning as its nagged at him during his career but has been able to get by with just missing practice but last year was the first time I think that it was listed week to week on the injury report (from week 13 onwards). It's probably not a problem that will go away as he gets older.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

Concerning not resigning Sitton, age (turns 30 in June) and mounting injuries: torn toe ligament in 2014 and back trouble in 2015. The back thing is more concerning as its nagged at him during his career but has been able to get by with just missing practice but last year was the first time I think that it was listed week to week on the injury report (from week 13 onwards). It's probably not a problem that will go away as he gets older.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Why we worried about Josh Sitton? The guy has played in 110 of the last 112 games and is producing at a high level. I mean, have we already forgot about the Guard failure of 2005? How about we worry about not re-signing Sitton when his injuries keep him off the field OR (and this is the important one, follow along) when he is not producing at a high level on the field.

A player that is playing a high level and is aging and has injuries, but isn't missing game time is not reason to let him go. You use that to craft an incentive based contract predicated on playing time.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
7 years ago

Why we worried about Josh Sitton? The guy has played in 110 of the last 112 games and is producing at a high level. I mean, have we already forgot about the Guard failure of 2005? How about we worry about not re-signing Sitton when his injuries keep him off the field OR (and this is the important one, follow along) when he is not producing at a high level on the field.

A player that is playing a high level and is aging and has injuries, but isn't missing game time is not reason to let him go. You use that to craft an incentive based contract predicated on playing time.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

And what if said player who's still producing at a high level doesn't want an incentive based contract but wants guaranteed big money because he knows it's gonna be his last payday in the NFL?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
7 years ago
1) What is wrong with some redundancy?
It is preparation for the injuries that will eventually happen.
It also is preparations for free agency losses.
It also could be the new guy will prove to better eventually.

I'm concerned with the back up QB situation but with teams overreaching for QB's in the draft I can understand why one wasn't drafted.

2) Don't be jealous of televised draft coverage. 2/3rds of the draft coverage was on the first 2 overpaid picks. Only bad teams drafting in the top 10 get much coverage. Solid drafts get little coverage but drafting a flashy prospect like Johnny Football, that gets a team media time.

3) Draft websites suck. Even Mel Kiper with his 4 sattelite dishes on his house and multiple recorders can only watch so many prospects a week. Many of the draft web sites read each other's stuff and repeat it. They just do not know what they are talking about.
A few of them thought the drafting of Sitton was foolish in the fourth round as he had little talent (they hadn't heard of him).
This year a few had the Packers drafting "the best nose tackle" from Baylor with the first pick. The kid from Baylor went in the 4th round.

4) Character matters. The NFL is a tough business and those that are not mentally tough are weeded out quickly. Winners never quit and quitters never win. What does Disney's Children's Northeast Sports Network know about character?

5) In the time between the draft and August these great prospects will become dumb rookies in need of some seasoning, coaching, and film study. They take time to develop.

6) It may be all to talk about now but keep the draft in perspective. Hold on, the CFL games start in June and you can get a little football.

blank
Dulak
7 years ago
I was on vacation the whole draft and just got back - so havnt had a chance to comment till now:

Lets get the doom and gloom over with first ...

- Our 3rd round pick tore his ACL in the past - this causes an increase chance of this happening again; I dont know the exact stats but 'a lot' more likely then if we had a player that had not done this.
- When we drafted the wr in the 5th I wished we would of drafted the german guy. I mean why not ... I know ted has to do; ted boring stuff and not go out on a limb; but why the freaking not? The dood looked cool and that would be cool to have one of the first EU guys that didnt play college ball.

Things I liked:

- Interesting 1st round pick; from all the guys that were there. Tough to get it right; looks like we went for the young strong dude that perhaps as one writer suggested made Myles Jack look good.
- Least we had picks that fit our needs rather then best on the board.
- I liked our picks at tackle and defense. Nobody stands out as flashy; Be interesting to see whom stands out and gets it done.

Looking forward to see how Ty Montgomery does this year since he didnt play much last year.

PackerTraxx
7 years ago
This seems like a good draft for us considering where we pick. Ted Thompson didn't take the opportunity to trade down so I'm assuming he likes the players that were available.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
sschind
7 years ago
I prefer Ted to draft the guys HE thinks are the best for the team because in the end that is what he is doing. I don't want him to be swayed by public opinion. He and his scouts have done far more research on the players than anyone who is not a GM or a scout. I don't want him taking some guy from a different country just because its a good story and the guy looks cool. I want him to take a guy from a different country because he thinks he is the best player to take at the time. I don't want him to spend a high pick on a guy just because I or a bunch of other fans think we need to spend a high pick at that position.

I'm not saying he is infallible as we all know that is not the case. I do think he knows more than anyone on this or any other fan website about the details of the players in the draft. Why he picks or passes on certain players when we all think its a mistake may never be known but some people act as if he is intentionally choosing lower level talent and passing on better players when its only their opinions that make them think so. Our opinions do not matter even though in some cases our opinions may turn out to be more accurate. That doesn't necessarily mean we know more than him, it may just mean we guessed better.

How many GMs passed on Andrew Billings more than once. 32 of them. A lot of us wanted the Packers to take Billings at #27. Are we smarter than 32 GMs? I don't think so. Guys like Jack and Ragland and Reed and Robinson and several others were all passed over in favor of other players. Even some GMs who drafted higher needs early on passed on these guys a second time around so you can't simply say they had bigger needs. If they were truly the BPA on everyone's boards don't you think they would have been chosen by someone a bit earlier?

The bottom line is maybe we don't know as much as we think we do when it comes to these players. Maybe no one does.
Pack93z
7 years ago
Meat and potatoes.... nothing splashy, and I find it interesting that a premium seemed to be placed on IQ in this draft. Is that indicative of something in the locker room... or just how it unfolded?

One has to trust the scouts... but I can't help to think that there might be a couple of players that might become stars that we passed on.

Jack
Ragland

And Yes... we will rue the day that we passed on Joe Schobert.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
warhawk
7 years ago

I prefer Ted to draft the guys HE thinks are the best for the team because in the end that is what he is doing. I don't want him to be swayed by public opinion. He and his scouts have done far more research on the players than anyone who is not a GM or a scout. I don't want him taking some guy from a different country just because its a good story and the guy looks cool. I want him to take a guy from a different country because he thinks he is the best player to take at the time. I don't want him to spend a high pick on a guy just because I or a bunch of other fans think we need to spend a high pick at that position.

I'm not saying he is infallible as we all know that is not the case. I do think he knows more than anyone on this or any other fan website about the details of the players in the draft. Why he picks or passes on certain players when we all think its a mistake may never be known but some people act as if he is intentionally choosing lower level talent and passing on better players when its only their opinions that make them think so. Our opinions do not matter even though in some cases our opinions may turn out to be more accurate. That doesn't necessarily mean we know more than him, it may just mean we guessed better.

How many GMs passed on Andrew Billings more than once. 32 of them. A lot of us wanted the Packers to take Billings at #27. Are we smarter than 32 GMs? I don't think so. Guys like Jack and Ragland and Reed and Robinson and several others were all passed over in favor of other players. Even some GMs who drafted higher needs early on passed on these guys a second time around so you can't simply say they had bigger needs. If they were truly the BPA on everyone's boards don't you think they would have been chosen by someone a bit earlier?

The bottom line is maybe we don't know as much as we think we do when it comes to these players. Maybe no one does.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I read a piece that said Ted Thompson had an offer from Dallas but was afraid he would lose out on Clark moving back 7 spots. I give Ted credit for holding his ground and taking the guy he really liked. It's not like he "settled" with Clark being the last decent DL available. He was obviously very high on Ted's list and above other big name players that were still there. That gives me MORE confidence he got the right guy.

"The train is leaving the station."
steveishere
7 years ago
1(27) Kenny Clark DT UCLA - Loved it, was my favorite lineman in the draft (that we had a shot at) I would have rolled the dice on Myles Jack and I also would have been cool with Chris Jones but I'm happy with the pick.

2(17) Jason Spriggs OT Indiana - I like this one too. I think we got one of the tackles with the highest potential and are in a position where we don't need him to start right away.

3(25) Kyler Fackrell OLB Utah State - Not where I would have gone but I can see the appeal. He's got a great build for an OLB and was a good rusher and good in coverage, I'm not that excited about him though.

4(33) Blake Martinez ILB Stanford - I've watched a little bit of Martinez and I just don't think he looks that good. Hope they can develop him into something but I really don't like the pick too much.

4(39) Dean Lowry DE Northwestern - played on the edge in college and wasn't great but looks like a possible great fit at 3-4 DE. I like the pick even though I had no idea who he was. Probably will end up more of a run defender type though.

5(24) Trevor Davis WR California - I admit I had no idea who he was but he has some interesting skills. I haven't watched much of him but what I've seen he doesn't really look as fast on the field as he timed. He is still fast though and he's got solid hands. If he's got the mind to absorb the playbook and expand his route tree he's a very interesting pick.

6(25) Kyle Murphy OT Stanford - Awesome that he fell to the 6th round. He was a stout pass protector in college against good competition. I'm not sure why he fell so far in the draft but hopefully he can develop into something.

Overall I think it's going to be a good draft but probably not one that ever gets a lot of hype do to the lack of players that play exciting over hyped positions. I really wanted Paul Perkins from UCLA and Michael Thomas from Southern Miss and we had a shot at both of them but we'll see how it all plays out.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
21m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.