wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

There remains “mutual interest” between the Packers and fullback John Kuhn for 2016.

Continue Reading @ PackersNews 

PackersNews wrote:

While the Packers have moved on from other free agents such as receiver James Jones and outside linebacker Mike Neal, Kuhn’s locker remains intact inside Lambeau Field. Kuhn, who turns 34 in September, has been working out daily and hopes to play at least one more season with the Packers, the source said.

There is no question Kuhn is a known quantity at this stage in his career. He’s a consistent veteran who provides leadership in the locker room and smarts on the field. What the Packers are trying to decide is whether his value is worth the luxury of retaining two fullbacks, or if this is the year to move ahead with Ripkowski.

It's time to move on.
UserPostedImage
musccy
7 years ago
Agreed. I like him, I'm sure Aaron is campaigning for him, he could still be decent but its not a great use of a roster spot in September...maybe if Rip or someone else gets hurt.
beast
7 years ago
Honestly I'm not even sure what there is to debate. Last year Kuhn signed for almost minimum deal other than a small workout and probowl bonuses. Are they trying to get larger bonuses or are the Packers attempting to go without the bonuses? Or maybe how much of it is guaranteed vs he has to make the roster to earn it.

I know people are against going with 2 FBs, but can we really say the
  • 3rd QB
  • 7th WR
  • 4th RB
  • 4th TE
  • 10th OL

will be better than the 2nd FB? Both FB could be on top 25 players for the offensive side of the ball (well Rip for STs but still on that side of the ball).

And it's not like the Packers have a ton of depth defensive side of the ball to take away an offensive spot, especially not alone the DL or CB where they have players suspended for the first four games. Unless some UDFAs come and clearly earning spots (which some are predicting/guessing/hoping) but surely isn't a lock.

I believe the Packers (under MM) have always kept at least 6 CBs on the roster, with Goodson suspended, I can't even the 5th CB is faster than FB Ripkowski in ST coverage, because I have no idea who the 5th CB is after Shields, Randall, Rollins and Gunter. So I think their is clearly the potential for a 4th TE or 2nd FB spot right now, unless maybe they're dead set on keeping 7 WRs or 10 OL.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
7 years ago
I'm more torn about this than any roster move. Not because I yell Kuhn whenever he touches the ball, but because Rip is still unproven.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Mucky Tundra
7 years ago
He's been kept around the past few years for his leadership, versatility and his role as Rodgers' personal bodyguard in the backfield. He's never been an elite athletic talent, 33 years old and Father Time is undefeated in NFL history. Time to move on.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
beast
7 years ago

I'm more torn about this than any roster move. Not because I yell Kuhn whenever he touches the ball, but because Rip is still unproven.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I think it's more than just Rip even... if you need a sure block for a certain play to work, do you strongly trust that one of the TEs will surely make that block for you?

As far as strongly trusting you're going to get a good block from a non-linemen, for me it's Lacy and Kuhn then drops a distance to Starks, Perillo and the WRs (Janis threw a great block in the Chargers game was it?, and Nelson and Cobb normally seem to get position blocks pretty well). Though I haven't watched to see if TE Cook can block or not.

But as far as reliability of getting a good block from a non-linemen on the inside, the Packers options were fairly limited last year with Kuhn and almost null without him.

Of course it's possible one of the 2nd year players (Rip, Backman, Henry) or TE Cook could improve on what there was last year.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I know what you mean but it is time. I am not so concerned that Rip will be the great blocker that Kuhn was. He doesn't have to be. Just think about the "great" block Kuhn put on Peppers in the last game of 2013. He more or less fell at the feet of Julius and tripped him up. That gave Aaron time to get the ball to Cobb. Rip or the TEs can do that too. Falling down is easy.

I would rather Kuhn leave a year too soon than a year too late. I have seen way too many players become an embarrassment out on the playing field. We still have our wonderful memories of him. That's enough for me.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
7 years ago
I will always remember Kuhn for this block: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjloLP5zNfMAhVI0oMKHdNYBH8QtwIIJTAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOSHhohzylpk&usg=AFQjCNENMUC7PsWHt1WlV1amUQjGI1sBEQ&sig2=u9d36TVOYpXw8sfyQwWFag

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjmuvHizdfMAhXoz4MKHSv1D2EQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-game-highlights%2F09000d5d81e2bb03%2FJarrett-Bush-intercepts-Ben-Roethlisberger&usg=AFQjCNGQYHwq3TlqN9hS5_JRMTqgT5v50Q&sig2=I0mYB31xLX20kOXAjtUtgQ 

But that doesn't mean these guys should keep their jobs forever. Kuhn's had his day in the sun, has a lot to show for his career. Good luck to him.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
7 years ago
The time has come for Kuhn just like it does for all of us.
Kuhn, although not drafted and developed by Teddy and the Packers brain trust, was one of the best players on the Packers team for nearly a decade.
He has clearly been a fan favorite for many years.
I wish John well in his post Packers life.
DakotaT
7 years ago

The time has come for Kuhn just like it does for all of us.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Speak for yourself. 😂
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.