Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
7 years ago
Packers: PreSeason scores mean nothing but playing well is critical. If Rodgers plays at a pro bowl level [As opposed to all-pro level or MVP level] in each playoff game we will win SB. We beat a team that I think will be pretty good [I say this even though Raider Pride used Reggie's name in vain 😠 the other day😂]. Also, they tried harder to win [playing #1s for a half] and all but one player on their 3 deep was available and played [Mario Edwards starting DE was only injured guy].

Tribute: Daniels at a 40+ Million hometown discount he's out there WAYYY more than he should be. They cant pull Daniels off the field. He is leading his young DLmen into battle. These youngins with Turgo, their talent and leadership like Daniels will probably have some growing pains early, but these guys will be serviceable to a force by playoff time.

2nd string 😨 10 2nd stringers and Randall [Though I think Thomas and Martinez are our 2 best ILBs and would start in Jax if the game were tomorrow] were outstanding against Raiders #1 offense. 4 drives; two 1st downs; 14 plays 35 yards...Unbelievable

Starting ILBs: Meet Joe Thomas and Martinez. Ryan, Bradford and Barrington will be battling for 1 ILB spot and one ad hoc spot on the roster. It is possible Barrington moves better in the coming weeks as he gains confidence in foot to reclaim his starting spot, assuming he would have shown a nice leap in his play from '14 to '15 had he played in '15. If he is only marginally better than he was in '14 not sure he makes the team. Barrinton made a nice play on 4 yard loss on pass in flat to Murray.

Martinez-I didn't' notice last week and re-looked, he was wearing the green dot in Clev. too. It is almost impossible for a 4th round rookie, who missed some mini camp to get this responsibility in a Capers D. And another sweet game he played.

He blanketed TE Smith, who lined up wide; okay, he is no Gronkowski receiving. I never saw a mistake in coverage; he played downhill on inside runs [Though he did miss another tackle] and he covered the field sideline to sideline. When the starters went out; he seemed to play with more [controlled] abandon. It's as if he took upon himself to be the man with the scrubbs.

The play at 2Q 5:21 was unbelievable as Oakland ran around Packers left end. Randall was playing slot with outside leverage meaning he had outside contain if TE blocks. Randall crashed and was blocked by RT Howard, but he also took out TE Smith and FB Olawale. Martinez swerved inside of G Jackson, who came off line clean to block Martinez on second level, and got by him untouched. He then hurdled over Smith and Olawale, who were on ground because of Randall, and made the tackle for a 2 yard gain. How does a guy with these skills to read and react, who can undoubtedly impress in a meeting room, last until late in 4th round? Thompson must have been shocked to see him still there. Now I know why he passed on Devante Booker, he saw losing Martinez in the next 6 picks as the greater evil.

At 2nd Q 1:17 on 3rd and 4, Martinez lined up on LOS to shoot A gap, he took one step in and saw Olawale go to flat. He backed out, not allowing Hudson to engage, and pursued. The pass went to Olawale who was held up by Rollins and Martinez closed toward that spot. When Olawale broke free Martinez instantly changed his pursuit angle and met and tackled Olwale at 2 yards past LOS forcing a punt.

Cook: A 6.5 YPC average, 50% less than Rodgers, who supposedly is too slow. Cook must also be too slow to play TE. Oh wait, could it be possible his YPC might be a function of the types of routes he's running?
On the 3rd down and 6 catch for 7 by Adams; Cook appeared to be asking Adams what he was supposed to do just before snap. Adams obviously didnt have time to tell Cook, because Cook ran his route wrong, he was too close to Adams. But that slant Cook caught looks near impossible to defend.

Cook didn't have a single solid block last week; but 2 this week. At 2:43 1Q. he had to do a reach block on Mack; the toughest block on a GREAT player. Cook couldn't get to his inside number and turn Mack, who could😁? But Cook kept the block engaged the entire time Mack was closing and Cook slowed Mack up just enough so he could not get into play. This is an A grade given the degree of difficulty. At 10:18 1Q Lacy ran to Cook's side, Cook had Irvin 1 on 1 and controlled him perfectly for a beat or two; then Cook came off the block and collided with the safety. Only problem is that Irvin made the tackle because Lacy got held up breaking a tackle behind LOS. Had Lacy not been held up, commentators would of been raving on TV about how Cook blocked 2 guys. Cook, whose back was to Lacy, had a clock in is head of how long to hold the block and if the play had run normal Irvin would not have gotten to Lacy. Its possible this was desinged; but I'm guessing it something Cook did under Fischer. I dont like it, because Lacy gets held up all the time breaking tackles behind the LOS. I think Cook will be told to stay on his block for as long as possible. At 12:15 1Q GB employed a nifty blocking scheme for Cook, who was lined up right as inside guy in trips and the run went that way. Rather than have Cook block, they had him run left and block the pursuit. Joseph who had Cook manhad to move to GB left. By the time he realized Cook was blocking Adams was able to seal him off from getting back into the play. Otherwise in several other plays, Cook's blocking ranged from meh to looking like he feared contact.

Burks: McGinn sang his pass protect skills in Clev. McGinn often observes through agenda; he was 100% wrong. The three plays he described as good blocking were: v. Cam Johnson, Burks could not anchor and was pushed right into Callahan causing pass to flutter. V. Carder, who grabbed Burks so he couldn't go into his pattern, it wasn't even a block; and Burks was between a juking Callahan and Tuggle,Callahan was using Burks as an obstruction, almost like Burks was a ref, its not like Burks was actually blocking Tuggle.
In Oak. On Callahan's 1st sack Burks was supposed to chip Mack on the way into his pattern and he totally whiffed. Then we didn't see him for a couple of series after that.

Callahan is the real deal. He looked like he stunk against Raiders' 1s; but that was because our #2 O-line was manhandled by Raiders' 1s. In the 2 passes he had w/ the #1 OL he hit a 6 yarder to Cook and then that inexplicable 4th and 1 when he didn't throw to Cook, or Monty nor Rodgers all alone for easy TD. He's a D-3 rookie. I love this kid's awareness of the rush, scrambling ability and poise under fire and is doing a good job of going through progressions. I can't believe Callahan was able to hold onto the ball when Geronimo ran the wrong route. If Callahan was 6'5" we'd never get him to practice squad.

Crockett: had a nice game, but on that 3rd down screen Mike McCarthy was really mad at Crockett. I looked at that play and a few before it to see what Mike McCarthy was so crazy about, I dont know. Only thing I can think of he was supposed to block or chip and didn't make any effort to do so.

Ripkowski: on his catch he was stood up by 2 defenders hitting him a the same time; even up right he plowed for 4 more yards...this is power!

Tretter was All-pro. On Lacy's 20 yard run he got a perfect reach block on Jelly [Ellis]. 2 plays later a sweet combo block on Jelly allowing Lang to effectuate his reach block on Jelly and then he drove Malcolm Smith out of the play. Also on this play Rodgers controlled Mack brilliantly.

Banjo needs to be signed to a 3 yr about 7.58M deal. On the 19 yard pass to Cooper on Side line Banjo got there FAST! 1st play of 2d Q he timed hit perfect on WR in front of him causing an INC. He is always in right spot at right time; beside being our top STer.

Ringo looked better against the 1s, held his ground and would egt push against #1s, he also pursued well laterally. Clark and Lowery were serviceable against Raiders #1s; this bodes well for the future.

Mastay: w/ Janis out this is his chance to see what kind of gunner he can be.

Murphy is an idiot. He is ruining my hopes of sneaking him on the practice squad.
beast
7 years ago

How does a guy with these skills to read and react, who can undoubtedly impress in a meeting room, last until late in 4th round?

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I agree, I think some people that drafted LBers sooner are going to be upset with themselves that they past on Martinez. Maybe even the Bears... and I agree, I think Martinez very well could be the starter this year. I'm not so sure on Thomas being the starter unless they start in nickel a lot.

McGinn often observes through agenda

I wondered/thought that as well earlier today when I read McGinn write, Josh Walker is "not a bad right tackle, either." I didn't watch Walker extremely closely, but I saw him at times at RT in the Browns game; to me, it looked like he was a tad slow reacting to everything and maybe not quite athletic enough for NFL OT. I feel like people keep suggesting that Walker has versatility because of his size... but I feel like he's a taller Lane Taylor and they're both (currently) stuck at OG only.

Callahan is the real deal... I love this kid's awareness of the rush, scrambling ability and poise under fire and is doing a good job of going through progressions.

Yeah I've been shocked at his awareness and poise... it usually takes time to adjust those to the NFL and yet he has them as a rookie from D3?

Though maybe that's because he's used to being pressured in the pocket early and often in college... it seems like pressure was often getting to him very quickly in this video. I've always been a bit weary of players that played behind great college OLs adjusted to less dominated OLs. But those that adjust to poor OLs can really improve at times when they get better OLs.
At 0:57, a target has the ball bounce out of his hand for an INT... Callahan not only chases the defensive player down, but forces a fumble and recovers it.

Banjo needs to be signed to a 3 yr about 7.58M deal... Banjo got there FAST!... He is always in right spot at right time; beside being our top STer.

I've been quite impressed with the back-up Safeties so far this preseason, I've been wondering if I just haven't been watching them as closely or if they have been clearly playing better than some other years.

Ringo looked better against the 1s, held his ground and would egt push against #1s, he also pursued well laterally. Clark and Lowery were serviceable against Raiders #1s; this bodes well for the future.... Mastay: w/ Janis out this is his chance to see what kind of gunner he can be.

I'm disappointed I didn't follow Ringo at all against the Raiders now. Also with Janis injured and Goodson suspended, I'm concerned that our gunners might be two of the Packers top 3 CBs now (Randall and Rollins). I hope Janis gets healthy so we can try to keep our starters off STs as much as possible.

Murphy is an idiot. He is ruining my hopes of sneaking him on the practice squad.

If Murphy repeats that, then he's probably a lock for the 53 man roster. Kid didn't look like a 6th round pick in that game.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
7 years ago
The knock on Martinez is that he can't wrap up against the run, misses too many tackles.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
7 years ago
Not real impressed with Callahan. I hate seeing rookie QBs afraid to pull the trigger and playing hesitant in the preseason. This is your chance to play an NFL game where it doesn't even matter if you lose, go out and cut it loose. Enough with holding the ball and check downs, put it up there and trust your WRs. I'd rather we put a QB out there who is going to give us a better evaluation of our WRs than one that's going to run around afraid to make a mistake.

Hundley was just a 5th round pick and his first preseason he was out there tossing the ball all over.
Smokey
7 years ago
Barfarn , I enjoy your post very much . I must ask though, do you pay for and get the coaches view video . If so , that is IMO the best way to evaluate games . If this is the case, can you post short clips along with your written post ?
UserPostedImage
luigis
7 years ago
Hi Barfan, very nice post!

Martinez is a ILB for passing downs and it is a passing league, maybe we finally found somebody for that dreaded position.

I see Callahan and I see a guy that is already cut, if he is aspiring to get a PS spot by "reading progression" then I think he is not really NFL material. As Steve said Hundley was really trying to show who he wants to be in his first game.

Luis
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
7 years ago

Not real impressed with Callahan. I hate seeing rookie QBs afraid to pull the trigger and playing hesitant in the preseason. This is your chance to play an NFL game where it doesn't even matter if you lose, go out and cut it loose. Enough with holding the ball and check downs, put it up there and trust your WRs. I'd rather we put a QB out there who is going to give us a better evaluation of our WRs than one that's going to run around afraid to make a mistake.

Hundley was just a 5th round pick and his first preseason he was out there tossing the ball all over.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Barfarn , I enjoy your post very much . I must ask though, do you pay for and get the coaches view video . If so , that is IMO the best way to evaluate games . If this is the case, can you post short clips along with your written post ?

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Thanks Smokey! I enjoy your perceptions, they're thought proving and unique. I only use the TV broadcast. Surely everyone has a tape of the games right? Heck i keep 3 years of preseason games and have most games from last year. Surely most if not all readers of this saved the Oakland game, right?

Steve,
I see the tentativeness of which you speak; but I see it as a positive at this juncture. Hundley is special, arguably more special that Rodgers was at this time in career. Most GMs missed on this guy, because I dont think Ted takes Hundley unless he sees him a 1-2 or early third round pick. Though one advantage Hundley has is he has Rodgers and Rodgers had Favre. Having Rodgers chirp in your ear on every play about not only what was done wrong, but on the tiniest of things to refine and perfect his game is of immeasurable value to a guy who is an intelligent talented sponge.

The Niners w/ Kapernick had him do 1 read and the dump-off or run. With the best and healthy OL, Gore and a few decent weapons, he looked decisive and good and he let it rip all the time. Then we saw what Kapernik would be like with Newhouse at Tackle, Quarles at TE and Benson as a RB. He never developed, it was all smoke and mirrors.

Callahan's inability to let it rip is because he's mentally overwhelmed most of the time because he dedicated to the process of learning his progressions. The game planning focused on the run doesn't lend itself to Callahan letting lose either.

Look at the play at :40 2Q 2nd and 13. Davis, Monty and Perillo are lined up right in that order outside in. Davis is first read, he does a slant at about 7 yards; Perillo is #2 with an in at the sticks; and Monty #3 is running the seem. Freeze frame when Callhan begins to draw back his arm, Monty is covered by a guy at second level [who have dropped about 10 yards of LOS]. But Monty comes open running as he clears 2nd level and Callahan drops the ball in right between 2nd level and closing safety, he just overthrew an open Monty by a few yards. Callahan threw with great anticipation and threw to the guy that would yield the best results. His aim was a little off; but this will improve as the reads become more automatic.

On the next play it was 3rd and 13 and 2 guys were kept in to block and the 3 receivers ran patterns no more than 5 yards deep. Why max protect on a 5 yard or less routes? Makes no sense. If this was regular season and if Mike McCarthy ran that play, it would have been to get intel on the D; I assume Callahan called the wrong combo of routes and protection.
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
7 years ago

I agree, I think some people that drafted LBers sooner are going to be upset with themselves that they past on Martinez. Maybe even the Bears... and I agree, I think Martinez very well could be the starter this year. I'm not so sure on Thomas being the starter unless they start in nickel a lot. I wondered/thought that as well earlier today when I read McGinn write, Josh Walker is "not a bad right tackle, either." I didn't watch Walker extremely closely, but I saw him at times at RT in the Browns game; to me, it looked like he was a tad slow reacting to everything and maybe not quite athletic enough for NFL OT. I feel like people keep suggesting that Walker has versatility because of his size... but I feel like he's a taller Lane Taylor and they're both (currently) stuck at OG only.Yeah I've been shocked at his awareness and poise... it usually takes time to adjust those to the NFL and yet he has them as a rookie from D3?

Though maybe that's because he's used to being pressured in the pocket early and often in college... it seems like pressure was often getting to him very quickly in this video. I've always been a bit weary of players that played behind great college OLs adjusted to less dominated OLs. But those that adjust to poor OLs can really improve at times when they get better OLs.
At 0:57, a target has the ball bounce out of his hand for an INT... Callahan not only chases the defensive player down, but forces a fumble and recovers it.

I've been quite impressed with the back-up Safeties so far this preseason, I've been wondering if I just haven't been watching them as closely or if they have been clearly playing better than some other years. I'm disappointed I didn't follow Ringo at all against the Raiders now. Also with Janis injured and Goodson suspended, I'm concerned that our gunners might be two of the Packers top 3 CBs now (Randall and Rollins). I hope Janis gets healthy so we can try to keep our starters off STs as much as possible.If Murphy repeats that, then he's probably a lock for the 53 man roster. Kid didn't look like a 6th round pick in that game.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Beast, Thanks for pasting the footage.

Thomas was a thumping beast in college. Now he's bigger, stronger and playing on instinct. He's every bit the thumper that Barrington was, but he's faster to sideline, better in coverage and blitzing than anything I've seen from Sam. But, because Sam got IR'd after playing only a few snaps in 2015, we really dont know what kind of leap he took. We should find out in the next 2 games.

There was no play where I could show Ringo flashed and he held his own against Oakland's #1s; but he didn't look any better against Oakland's 2s and 3s. So the jury is still out on Ringo.

And I think the Josh Walker experience is over. "Not a bad right tackle", HUH? I agree Beast, McGinn must get a cut of Walker's endorsement deals. W/ Lindsley likely starting on PUP; Barclay makes the team and between him, Spriggs and Murphy we dont need another RT, not that Walker could play there anyways. And Taylor is better at G.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.