MintBaconDrivel
7 years ago
Your thoughts on this piece?

What's Happened to Aaron Rodgers?

First, let's get something straight. Aaron Rodgers isn't playing poorly. Andy Dalton against the Steelers? That's playing poorly. Russell Wilson on one leg? That wasn't pretty. Blaine Gabbert was downright putrid.

No, Rodgers isn't playing poorly, but he is playing poorly for Aaron Rodgers. There's a difference.

For much of Rodgers' career, there were few like him in the history of football. He has the accuracy of Joe Montana, the football acumen of John Unitas, the mobility of Russell Wilson and the arm strength of Dan Marino.

He has long been, to me and others, the most complete quarterback ever to play the game.

But not lately. And we've seen this version of Rodgers for a large chunk of last season and through the first two games of this year. Against the Vikings on Sunday night, where he was 20-of-36 for 213 yards with one passing touchdown, one rushing score, one interception and one fumble. And despite carrying a 103.8 career passer rating, Rodgers hasn't reached the 100-point mark in any of his last 12 regular-season games.

It wasn't supposed to be like this. With Jordy Nelson back from injury, Green Bay's offense this season was supposed to be different. Rodgers was supposed to be different.

And maybe he will be. It's only two games. He might go on that familiar Rodgers tear and then we'll all shut up. But for now, something is clearly wrong.

What that is, however, has become one of the NFL's most compelling parlor games, focusing on a handful of possibilities:

Rodgers is hurt. I don't buy this one. He doesn't seem significantly injured, but I cannot stress how much this theory is making its way around some of the personnel men with whom I speak.

Two scouts who watched both of Rodgers' games this season told B/R something seems seriously off with him. Not so much with the offense, but him.

They, and others, think Rodgers is suffering from some sort of long-term issue, like a chronic shoulder problem. I heard similar speculation last season.

Jamie Squire/Getty Images
This is conspiracy theory stuff. Like UFOs. Well, wait, UFOs are real. Like the Loch Ness Monster. Not buying it yet.

The offense isn't playing to his strengths. Said one AFC scout: "He's one of the greatest downfield throwers this league has ever seen but they run a dink-and-dunk offense."

I'm not certain how accurate this is, but I would say, with one exception, Rodgers doesn't have the high-quality receivers to run an explosive, downfield offense.

The offensive talent around him just isn't that good. This is the theory I believe.

Look at the roster. Nelson is good, but he's a 31-year-old receiver whose game is built on speed coming off a serious knee injury. The offensive line is OK. The running game is OK. The other receivers are OK. The defense is OK. That's a lot of OK.

Yes, Rodgers could play better, a lot better, for sure. Yet when I watch the Packers, so much is still on Rodgers' shoulders.

There's no Stefon Diggs. Or DeAndre Hopkins. When Le'Veon Bell was suspended, the Steelers turned to DeAngelo Williams, and he responded.

Which player (not named Rodgers) on this Packers team can you turn look at and say, "That guy will bail them out?"

The problem with Aaron Rodgers is all of us. That is what one general manager told me. The expectations for Rodgers are so stratospheric they're unrealistic. There is some truth to this.

"No other quarterback is held to the standard he is," the general manager said. "Not even Tom Brady."

It's only two games into the season. The Packers are my Super Bowl pick. That hasn't changed. Too early to change that, or my belief that Rodgers will one day be viewed as the best ever to play the position, a spot, to me, that Brady holds currently.

Now, though, something is not right. It wasn't supposed to be like this. Even after just two weeks.

It will get better, but in the meantime, the "decline" of Rodgers will remain one of the biggest growing questions hovering over this season.

Continue reading @ Bleacher Report 

Mike Freeman wrote:

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
7 years ago
The problem is that he's:

1: Not using proper footwork or throwing mechanics. Throwing off the back foot. Not going through progressions. Throwing it behind guys. Dancing around with happy feet. Throwing it over guys heads. It's not stratospheric to expect Aaron to hit guys consistently in the flat, or step into his throws. That is fundamental football that is expected of the 8th grade JV team.

2: Not executing the offense. Holding the ball for 8 seconds, passing up open guys in order to wait for something deep. Always wanting to make a sand lot play. Always trying to get on the highlight real, like Bert.

3: The offense is based on failed Chip Kelly bullshit. Mike has never been smart enough to beat opposing DCs in a chess match by "scheming" guys open. But what they USED to do was use different formations and personnel to get match ups.

Now they just don't substitute, because they're running the no-huddle. So it's the exact same players in the exact formation, all the time. Yeah it's nice to get a couple free plays every game. What's even better is to move the chains consistently, own time of possession and win the field position battle.

So don't sit there and tell me it's MY damn fault, because I expect Aaron to play fundamentally sound football. In fact I do NOT "expect" that. I've been bitching about this for years. It's just that it's gotten much worse now, because everyone was always making excuses for it.

The good news it that it's all correctable. It's not a situation where his physical skills are diminishing due to age (although who knows, really. We'll find that out for sure if/when Aaron pulls his head out and starts getting with the program.) The bad news is, Mike seems neither willing nor able to confront and/or correct Aaron on his shitty execution. This has been going on a long time, and has been really bad for a full year now.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
He is playing bad. He is missing players long, he is missing players short, he is missing them wide left and right. He is missing them any way possible. the pick at the end of the Viking game, on that double move there is no excuse for throwing short of the WR.

And his Head Coach is not helping him in the play calling.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
steveishere
7 years ago
Saying he's only playing bad for his own standards is just more excuse making. If his name was Bob Rodgers the media would be shredding him for how badly he's played. It's inexcusable how bad this offense has been. There are teams with worse WRs that don't stall out as badly as this team has been doing. San Diego lost their top WR a week ago and came out destroying Jacksonville where we needed heroic plays and penalties just to move the ball.
Dulak
7 years ago

The problem is that he's:

1: Not using proper footwork or throwing mechanics. Throwing off the back foot. Not going through progressions. Throwing it behind guys. Dancing around with happy feet. Throwing it over guys heads. It's not stratospheric to expect Aaron to hit guys consistently in the flat, or step into his throws. That is fundamental football that is expected of the 8th grade JV team.

2: Not executing the offense. Holding the ball for 8 seconds, passing up open guys in order to wait for something deep. Always wanting to make a sand lot play. Always trying to get on the highlight real, like Bert.

3: The offense is based on failed Chip Kelly bullshit. Mike has never been smart enough to beat opposing DCs in a chess match by "scheming" guys open. But what they USED to do was use different formations and personnel to get match ups.

Now they just don't substitute, because they're running the no-huddle. So it's the exact same players in the exact formation, all the time. Yeah it's nice to get a couple free plays every game. What's even better is to move the chains consistently, own time of possession and win the field position battle.

So don't sit there and tell me it's MY damn fault, because I expect Aaron to play fundamentally sound football. In fact I do NOT "expect" that. I've been bitching about this for years. It's just that it's gotten much worse now, because everyone was always making excuses for it.

The good news it that it's all correctable. It's not a situation where his physical skills are diminishing due to age (although who knows, really. We'll find that out for sure if/when Aaron pulls his head out and starts getting with the program.) The bad news is, Mike seems neither willing nor able to confront and/or correct Aaron on his shitty execution. This has been going on a long time, and has been really bad for a full year now.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

ya I didnt think nelson was going to be the end-all for a great year. IMO james jones did a Great job last year. We were lucky to have him. Id of hated to see what position we would of been without him last year.

As someone pointed out - how much playing time did rodgers get in preseason? ...

The_Green_Ninja
7 years ago
Aaron Rodgers will be back. You have to be low to get back high. I don't know if you all remember... but all this looks like is a certain Aaron Rodgers, preseason 2008 against the 49ers before he had his first game in the Vikings. He is down now, but he will get back up.

Aaron Rodgers wins with a chip on his shoulder.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
7 years ago

As someone pointed out - how much playing time did rodgers get in preseason?

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

Bradford got no playing time with the Vikings in the preseason, yet he looked pretty damn good.

Barfarn
7 years ago

Aaron Rodgers will be back. You have to be low to get back high. I don't know if you all remember... but all this looks like is a certain Aaron Rodgers, preseason 2008 against the 49ers before he had his first game in the Vikings. He is down now, but he will get back up.

Originally Posted by: The_Green_Ninja 

THIS!

A few years ago Lions were playing on the actual frozen tundra and a handful of Lions players came out for warm-ups bare chested to show that the cold didn't bother them. Of course if the cold really didn't bother them they would have never done this or even thought to do this.

Rodgers said to ESPN today [in response to question: Is there too much scrutiny on the two-time NFL MVP?] "we’re not ultimately judged or worried about your [The media] opinions of us and your scrutiny of us.” He blathers on and on about it in the article .

If media opinions or scrutiny truly didn't bother him, he'd simply say, "of course not" or words of similar import. His response speaks for the team, though the question was directed to him. Obviously, it bothers the living the heck out of him. The chip is back, we're gettin' MVP Rodgers back this Sunday. I'm cashing in all I own, house, kids car, furniture, clothes, etc. and I'm gonna bet that $1200 on the Pack this week.
nerdmann
7 years ago

Originally Posted by: The_Green_Ninja 

This situation has been going on for a year now.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
68md
7 years ago
A user posted this at another site Packers Offense Flawed 

The number aren’t kind. Rodgers was ranked 17th in DYAR in 2015. He has now gone 15 games without a passer rating over 100 and has averaged under 7-yards per pass attempt in 12 of his last 14 games. The Green Bay offense as a whole has been equally inept; it currently ranks 21st in explosive plays, 29th in yards per game and 30th in yards per play. All of this comes after a season in which they finished 21st in weighted offensive DVOA and 28th in yards per play.

The Packers run an off-script, non-rhythmic offense. They utilize isolation routes and spread formations. They anticipate their players winning 1-on-1 matchups or Rodgers putting the ball where defenders can’t reach it. His trademark back-shoulder connection to Jordy Nelson is just one example.
The issues come when receivers cannot separate from man coverage. Then, each receiver is running an independent route and no one is getting open. In timing offenses, receiver’s routes are all designed to work in conjunction with one another, attempting to get players open through design, rather than winning 1-on-1 matchups.

Leads us to this

That brings us to Rodgers.

Does he want to run this all-magic, all-the-time offense? This cannot all be on the coaching staff, nor is it all on the receivers. Is Rodgers willing to make the three-step timing throws, passing up the opportunity to dance around and make a highlight play down the field, in order to move the offense and get it rolling?

When the Packers have added timing elements during their 14-game slump, Rodgers has looked uneasy and inaccurate, unsure in his receiver’s ability to separate and second guessing the structure of the offense.

Really a good read on the offense.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.