PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago

I understand that we don't know the progressions here but safety help deep on that side should have altered the progressions away from the deep route as a second choice. Arod should have easily seen that LB was all the D had for coverage over the short middle. Even if the LB didn't bite on Arod's look off a fast WR vs. LB is a green light.

Secondly, the receiver is wide open and should have sat right there vs. turning up field once he saw Arod start to move. Why leave an area when there is nobody within 15 yards of you? Jordy at the bottom of the screen looked like he was actually going alter his route to go there but saw Davis crossing wide open so he turned up field not to screw it up. Then there ends up being this huge open area of the field and no one home.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

With Two wides on the bottom, one being Jordy you would expect one of those two to go deep. That being so I would have expected the Safety to shift and provide deep support rather than dropping down onto a TE crossing. Also don't forget, WR know the route progressions for the play also and where their route falls in so skipping a progression would throw that timing off also.

As for the crossing WR turning up, he was looking back at Rodgers when he tried to break pocket, and it looked like Rodgers was spinning to head to his left (top). so he turned because if Rodgers had continued that way the WR should work is way back towards that side of the field.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
yooperfan
7 years ago
I hope "Head Coach" Mike McCarthy had the balls to sit down with him and show him this BS.
Very sad that the Packers offense has come to this.
Barfarn
7 years ago
This is a perfect example of the difference between MVP Rodgers and today Rodgers. Today Rodgers made several errors that MVP would not have made. See, this is not just an MVP guy that made a bad play; it is the play of a guy who has substantially forgotten how to play QB in the system. And Smokey, it is sabotage, according to this long-winded SOB 😂 [BTW, that was funny as hell and kinda true]; that is why I’m so pissed at the guy.

Yes, there is a tiny bit of speculation; but it entirely based on the belief that Jordy ran a correct route.

Cobb is in backfield, he goes to sticks and curls in.

Davis is wide left, [he is the “crosser” open after clearing Kendricks].

Cook inside left, he runs a deep In mirroring Cobb route just 1 line deeper.

Abby was slot right, he ran a deep fade.

Nelson Wide left, ran an in-stop at sticks [Warhawk your Nelson cutting of his route theory is innovative thinking and possible. I dont think this is the case because: Jordy made his move for separation, so the ball was coming right then and there; if Jordy sees DAvis, he dont know if Rodgers is throwing his way and cutting off the route is risky as the ball might be on its way. Plus typically when McCarthy has WRs crossing toward each other, they are not running at the same level, because it means, for example if Jordy catches the ball, he'd be running right into the Will trailing Davis, guaranteeing Jordy's decapitation].

Read #1: was to Nelson. He was WIDE freakin’ open, there was a throwing lane and Rodgers didn’t even look his way. This a shame because with the single deep and only one other defender on that side of field if Nelson breaks a tackle he could go a long way. When Nelson was not targeted he is supposed to go to SL maybe 10 yards so as to interfere w/ 3rd read or deep fade.

Read #2a-2b: was to Cobb or Cook who ran parallel routes 1 line apart. There should only be one guy, the Mike, to cover the inside move of both of these guys and he cant.

Read #3: was to Davis after he clears Will [This was Barr who wasn’t there because he blitzed].

Rodgers was supposed to look right, and throw to Nelson. The secondary objective of looking right was to draw the safety right to cover Abby running the deep route, the safety at this point should have to guard against the post, he does not know Abby’s running a fade. A third objective was to gather intel to see how the Safety reacts and adjust the play in the second half.

Rodgers’ failure to look at Jordy and stare down his 2nd read caused the safety to crash down and double Cook who was not open; but Cobb was open! On TV this play was 2nd Q at 8:49, the replay shows Cobb had a step on his man, but Rodgers couldn’t throw because he didn’t have a lane. Also, if he had thrown it, because he was starring Cobb down, the Mike [Kendricks] was drifting toward Cobb and would have popped him.

Then Rodgers needed to man-up, stand in the pocket and deliver the ball to the 3rd read, who was open. And if he had delivered the ball to Davis, Rodgers would not have gotten hit. His fear was unjustified.

3rd and 4, all three reads were open, and 2 WIDE open, and we have to punt. Ridiculous!

Here’s Rodgers' mistakes:
1. Like a stupid rookie he starred down his target.

2. Like a stupid rookie he skipped his progressions.

3. Like a stupid rookie he sabotaged the gathering of intel; that might lead to a big play in 2nd half.

4. Like a good college QB w/o the stomach for the NFL, he too frightened of the rush to make next read.

5. He dealt with the blitz like a stupid rookie.

If this was pre-2015, Rodgers would have seen Barr blitz and instantly processed which WR would be open because of it. MVP Rodgers would have realized that Davis was gona be WIDE open after clearing Mike and he'd be off to the races. Can hear Collensworth now, “that’s why ya don’t blitz Aaron Rodgers, he’ll make ya pay... Rodgers looked the safety left and look at those blocks by Jordy and Abberderis, this is one well coached team, every one doing their job.”

Yes, WRs and OL will occasionally screw-up, but that only kills one play; ya got 2 more shots at the first down in that drive and 8 more drives to score. This offense is not simple; the receivers get open as well as any team’s receivers and there is ONLY ONE GUY on this O that is routinely screwing up and often to the extreme. Anyone who thinks the sputtering offense is due to anything but Rodgers is simply in denial.

I’d also love to know if this play was one of the “scripted” 3rd and 5ish plays, a play that during the week was worked on over and over. If so Rodgers is even a bigger dung head. The only screw-up other than multiple Rodgers’ ones was Taylor not clearing a lane for throw to Cobb; but that’s a tall order against DT Johnson. This play was executed very well, look how perfectly Nelson, Cook and Cobb choreographed their routes. First Jordy comes open and a split second later, the time for a progression to occur, Cook and Cobb look like a couple of Olympic synchronized swimmers. It was poetry. This is a well coached team!
DoddPower
7 years ago

This is a well coached team!

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

This is a joke. If A.) Rodgers is playing as pathetic as you proclaim and B.) this is a "well coached" team, then Rodgers would not be playing next week and would have likely been benched last season. I don't fully subscribe to "A" although he isn't playing well. But I absolutely don't subscribe to "B". If "A" and "B" were true, then a great head coach would bench Rodgers, insert Hundley, and the offense would regain much of form, seemingly like the Patriots do. But since that isn't happening, it's safe to say that "A" and/or "B" are not true. Using your rationale, there's no way they both could be, and one or a couple of plays proves nothing.

I guarantee that one could put together a long collage of plays just like this throughout Rodgers career, even when he was playing at an elite level. He has always preferred the big play over the first down. It's simply his game. Sure, it's probably happening more right now, but that's what happens when a QB and a team isn't playing well, isn't coached well on the offensive side of the ball, and many mistakes are made. Aaron Rodgers is a big part of the problem, but Michael Rodney summarized it pretty well from his review of the All 22 footage (I believe):

—Aaron Rodgers looked miserable on Sunday night, and after watching the tape, I can’t blame him. The receivers rarely got open down the field. It appeared as if the two-time MVP just assumed from the snap of the ball that he’d have to extend the play in order to complete a pass of more than 10 yards. Of course, none of this excuses the poor throws, the 3 fumbles or the interception that ended Green Bay’s hopes of a comeback.

Michael Rodney  wrote:

Rarely certainly doesn't mean ever, but the Packers receivers or coaches haven't been doing a great job of getting or scheming separation for a few years now. This is part of the problem, along with Aaron Rodgers. He's the most important player on the team, so obviously his contributions matter more than anyone else. But he needs the appropriate coaching to succeed, including tough love when and if that's necessary (See "A" and "B" above).
I say 1+1+1 =3; it’s not liked that it only adds up to three. So, its called a “joke” and instead of addressing the math, alternate mutterings are inserted in 100% avoidance of addressing the math.

A this, B that; If Rodgers was this bad he’d be replaced; therefore McCarthy is not a good coach. You performed these mental contusions and contortions without a helmet didn’t ya? Packershome needs a concussion protocol.

Please let’s not ignore the perfect choreographed facts before us. Three guys all different speeds starting from different spots in different areas of the field timing there breaks to get open to perfection and all three beating their guy at the exact right time…IGNORED. This is good coaching.

There is so much that goes into benching a guy; especially a starter, especially a guy who less than 1 year ago was a shoe-in for HOF, before even considering if the next man up is better. And even if the next guy up is better will he perform under these conditions. What if the next man has a few bad games, even though he’s better? After a few bad Rodgers’ games last year, I called for Tolzien to temporarily replace Rodgers, McCarthy refused my advice and we were one and done in POs. Maybe, if Rodgers was benched, we don’t go to POs and don’t beat Jax or play Minny to a standstill. McCarthy and his entire brain trust, will know when benching Rodgers will improve the team and there will be a ramping up process to his benching. To call a guy a bad coach because he hasn’t benched an underperforming icon, who has had spurts of great play [oh BTW, he will play great v. Lions], even though the team as a whole is on a winning trajectory is just absurd.

Rodney is a decent source; but he is just WRONG. His evaluation is not empirical, it’s generalized emotion. He said Rodgers cant be blamed for being miserable that his receivers cant get open. No one who had been part of the game could say this. By definition an elite QB is one of the 2 or 3 best players on offense this means 8-10 guys are worse. When a lesser talented player boffs a play, which will happen a lot because they are lesser players, the great QB leader, encourages and comes back to the huddle like a man, ready to win the next play. He does not act like a whiney sullen debutante and delivers his criticisms in the quietness of the SL or lockerroom.

Packers dont scheme WR’s getting open? Where are you getting this from????? Show me one play where this has occurred…ONE!!! This play is the rule, not the exception. Every receiver but Abby beat their man [Cook was covered only because of safety], but, w/ CB in man in trail tech, if Rodgers drops a perfect pass it will still be caught. Abby is open for an elite deep throwing QB; he’s covered if QB is Sanchez. And sure there were plays like this throughout Rodgers career. The difference is when it happened in other years, Rodgers endeavored to stop it and he did.

I don’t care how ya do it; but get the SD game last year. Our back 7 played quite well, SD receivers were covered to the extent a receiver can be covered when an elite playing QB is delivering the ball. Then find a game from years past; chart the separation on every play and compare it to today, there’s no appreciable difference. If you and Rodney educate yourselves you’ll see why PFF has him rated #33. Not #10; Not #15, not #22…but #33. And PFF tries to evaluate the QB play independent of the play of others, they are not just looking at stats. If the WRs are not getting separation in their evaluation, it does not hurt the QB. I cant say PFF is 100% accurate; but to go from #1 to #33 in their rating system means that Rodgers’ GB grades have plummeted too.

And sure one play proves nothing; but you're ignoring all else we know. Here’s the proof that Rodgers is GUILTY of suck:
1. We have one artistic play with everyone performing perfectly, but Taylor and Rodgers; and Rodgers’ play is disgustingly bad.
2. Everyone else is coached well; even the other QBs. Look at the ascension of Hundley and Callahan! The problem is not the coaching, it’s just that some players don’t take coaching.
3. We have 3 fumbles and 3 INTs [2 were dropped] that Rodgers threw in Minny, several missed passes and undeniable fear of the pass rush.
4. We have Rodgers failing to understand where the weak spot in the D was on the blitz [I’ll bet if Janis was a QB, he would have figured this out].
5. We have him acting sullen
6. We have him yelling at players on the field
7. We have Lang calling him out
8. We have an offense that sucks
9. We have him not breaking 100 PR in 14 straight games
10. We have PFF grading him at #33 for the last 2.
11. And most of all, the defense has failed to provide any facts that prove that Rodgers isn’t suck, just weird mental contortions and baseless innuendos.

Like drops, OL not blocking, no separation, no talent around him. These things are MEANINGLESS unless you can show, it wasn't the same in years past. We had more drops in 2014 than 15; for god sake, we had Newhouse playing LT and Bahktieri playing there as a rookie. We had no Lacy. The argument there is not enough talent surrounding Rodgers is also laughable. Not a single player has left GB and proved they were independently worth a spit. Jennings got a big contract; Flynn looked so great in this system, he got a big deal from a GB front office guy [Schneider]; and they all sucked.
sschind
7 years ago
with regards to Michael Rodney's comment —Aaron Rodgers looked miserable on Sunday night, and after watching the tape, I can’t blame him. The receivers rarely got open down the field. It appeared as if the two-time MVP just assumed from the snap of the ball that he’d have to extend the play in order to complete a pass of more than 10 yards.

How about when your receivers are not getting open downfield instead of feeling that you have to extend the play in order to complete a pass of more than 10 yards you just throw the ball to the open guys and take 5 or 6 yards at crack.
The_Green_Ninja
7 years ago
How about Aaron has steps to follow in his head and even if there are open receivers and his receivers aren't making the quick enough cuts from him to see it soon enough.

MAYBE HE FEELS HE NEEDS TO ADLIB BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF PROPER ROUTE RUNNING.

No it's cause Aaron Rodgers is stupid and Mike is dummy dumb. Dur hur hur go pack go.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 years ago
Has anyone mentioned that maybe that open WR ran the wrong route and that's why Aaron didn't throw it to him?
UserPostedImage
Porforis
7 years ago

Has anyone mentioned that maybe that open WR ran the wrong route and that's why Aaron didn't throw it to him?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Pad level. It's all about the pad level.
Cheesey
7 years ago

Pad level. It's all about the pad level.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I heard they switched to "Maxi-pads" for this week, hoping to slow the bleeding.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.