I miss slants so much.
Porforis
7 years ago

I miss slants so much.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I'm pretty sure they're just a legend.
DoddPower
7 years ago

Belichek wouldn't put with with that shit for 5 minutes.

Nor would I.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Exactly. And this is one of the reason's he is such a better coach. But he's better than everyone, including Lombardi. Of course it would be incredibly difficult to bench a superstar. But Bellichick would do it. Difficult decisions are, well, difficult. But continuing to suck will get you fired. Benching a superstar player, maybe winning a few games with a backup, and getting the superstars head right would be a genius move if it worked out. The point is, something has to be done, and I'm not convinced that things are going to fix themselves. Sure, the Packers might still make the playoffs, but they aren't going to go anywhere near where they could or should go unless there are some substantial changes. It could work out, but there's not much reason to believe they will. It wouldn't shock me if they do, but I expect they won't.
nerdmann
7 years ago

Exactly. And this is one of the reason's he is such a better coach. But he's better than everyone, including Lombardi. Of course it would be incredibly difficult to bench a superstar. But Bellichick would do it. Difficult decisions are, well, difficult. But continuing to suck will get you fired. Benching a superstar player, maybe winning a few games with a backup, and getting the superstars head right would be a genius move if it worked out. The point is, something has to be done, and I'm not convinced that things are going to fix themselves. Sure, the Packers might still make the playoffs, but they aren't going to go anywhere near where they could or should go unless there are some substantial changes. It could work out, but there's not much reason to believe they will. It wouldn't shock me if they do, but I expect they won't.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

They ditched Bert. Hopefully they can do it again with Aaron.

Thing is, with Bert, they were a little bit passive aggressive. He helped them out by "retiring." The current situation is going to have to consist of pure mano a mano confrontation.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Barfarn
7 years ago

That was all result of having the deepest WR group that greatly outmatched opposing secondaries.

The offense today is also not the same as it was with Farve or Rodgers as a rookie. Back in the day when we actually ran slants.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Not so sure about that PFWT:

In 2013, in the 6 games started by Tolzein, Wallace and Flynn, with a passer rating 5% better than Rodgers over the last 12 games here are the snap counts of receiving “weapons:”

Nelson: 387
Jones: 371
Boykin: 294
Myles White: 7
Harper: 2
Quarles: 287
Taylor: 85
Bostic: 68
Stoneburner: 3

Not a whole bunch of speed or talent there!

And the tackles were Barclay and rookie Bahktieri; E.D. Smith was the center.

Here is unequivocal proof that the system works:
Boykin in 7 games that he played with Tolzien, Wallace and Flynn as the third WR, was 32-423-2. Over 16 games that’s a completely talentless guy with completely talentless QBs getting 73-966-4.5 as a WR who was 3rd in snaps in every game.

The system doesn't have to adapt to the players; The system works regardless of who the players are. Well just so long as the WRs are not Janis of years past or the QB is a dickhead.
Barfarn
7 years ago
The reason we like slants is the reason guys like Zimmer don’t, so they scheme to stop them. I’ll bet 1/3 of the plays called have a slant option built into the progression. A CB playing inside position, dropping a safety down or spreading an OLB a touch wide causes the route to be adjusted from a slant to something else. Also, because the OL needs to create a throwing window for a slant, certain DL alignments prevent slants from being thrown. So I presume if the WR sees a certain DL alignment then the play call will require the WR to adjust his route to an in or a deeper curl.

Remember in the 4th Q of a Cincy game a few years back, when DE Johnson knocked down two would be slants because Bahktieri could not move or cut him? That was Zimmer too. He played his D as if he was conceding the slant; he wanted Rodgers to throw the slant, and the DE simply stayed near the LOS with his huge wingspan anticipating the slant and knocked down the ball.

The other teams have pretty smart coaches and their players get paid as well. Yet the system has proven unstoppable if executed by moderately talented players. The QB just cant play like a dickhead.
Smokey
7 years ago

That was all result of having the deepest WR group that greatly outmatched opposing secondaries.

The offense today is also not the same as it was with Farve or Rodgers as a rookie. Back in the day when we actually ran slants.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Bravo , precisely stated .

I might add, speed was and still is the answer . Slow is affecting not just the WRs and RBs , but the CBs as well . Coach McCarthy advises on , but does not hire players. He and Aaron Rodgers must work with what players they are given .

If TT's choices can't function in a more sophisticated system, then Mike McCarthy has no alternative than to dumb it down for them . #12 has proven he can function in any system, so stop blaming the butcher because you bought the $2.00 Steak and it was tough .

That's right, Ted Thompson is always lurking in the shadows during the Reg. Season. He knows that he can let Mike McCarthy or Aaron Rodgers or another take the heat for the choices he made.

The need is for speed , not how cheaply can a team be built. Speed will not be a top valued quality until Ted Thompson steps aside. Mark my words, the next GM's first player acquisition will be a WR or CB with elite speed .

[cheers] [cheers] [cheers]

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
7 years ago
We could have the most talented weapons in the league and the greatest system ever designed. But if our QB is not executing that offense, waiting for 8 seconds for things to break down and trying to make a sandlot play, it's not gonna do us any good.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Smokey
7 years ago

We could have the most talented weapons in the league and the greatest system ever designed. But if our QB is not executing that offense, waiting for 8 seconds for things to break down and trying to make a sandlot play, it's not gonna do us any good.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Be careful Chicken Little, the sky may fall down on you !

[lol] [rofl] [bdance]

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Maybe I'm mistaking here, but hearing all the press conferences and what the coaches and players are saying. They don't get beat, rather they lose them and also they don't see any reason to ever change anything. It's as if they have lives without consequences.

Aaron Rodgers said his preparation and how he goes about things had him playing at a high level and sees no reason to change. Rodgers said he is going to just trust the process and things will work themselves out. Personally, I disagree because that comes off expecting success to come without work. I'm not saying Rodgers doesn't put in the work. I'm saying he's lacking in the self scouting area. Believe me, if I can see that his footwork has changed over the last couple seasons, you know others of much greater football acumen are seeing it too.

If I was a QB guru, I would be putting Rodgers through the fundamentals and rudimentary basics. I forget what HoF QB would do this, but he told his coach to jump his case when his fundamentals were slipping. Rodgers takes it as an insult when someone mentions he isn't perfect. Of course no one cares if he's a dick, but this goes towards how he is towards things and that is directly related to his playing.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.