beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

What does receiver Jared Abbrederis have to do to get on the field?

Have the best preseason of any Green Bay Packers receiver?

Check.

Gain the much-ballyhooed, but little understood Aaron Rodgers’ trust nod?

Check.

Earn praise from Fat Mike himself?

Check.

Actually, no. All three of those things will not be enough.

Some people would tell you the problem for Abbrederis is he plays the slot, which is Randall Cobb’s position. Well, McCarthy still manages to find ways to get Davis and Montgomery on the field and they’re built much like Cobb.

totalpackers.com  wrote:

I could be wrong, but I really feel like the Packers could do some damage with double slot WRs in the game at the same time. Mike McCarthy has a lot of tricks to get a single slot WR open... if they had one on each side they should be more unpredictable. Also I understand it will hurt the run blocking some... but they should be able to used short passes as runs some more as well.

I just have not understood why we don't see more of (2 of the 3) Cobb, Abby and Monty on the field at the same time. I would think one would get the nickel DB and the other would have a favorable match-up with the dime DB or maybe a LB or S in nickel.

UserPostedImage
millertime
7 years ago
I think they prefer having a TE split out for a more versatile line-up. You can't check into runs and expect Davis or Abbrederis to block linebackers 1-on-1.
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

I think they prefer having a TE split out for a more versatile line-up. You can't check into runs and expect Davis or Abbrederis to block linebackers 1-on-1.

Originally Posted by: millertime 

I expect the WRs to attempt to block, even the LBers and I think Abby has been asked to block LBers in the past (not a normal thing but an audible happens).

But do you want Richard Rodgers trying to block a LB, or want a LB trying to cover Abby?
Probably depends on the LB... but NFL WRs should be able to get open against most LBers.

Also a West Coast offense is supposed to have short passes which act like runs, which is what seemed to open the Lions defense up.

And with all due respect... lets say Richard Rodgers surprises and has a great block... does Lacy have the pure speed to break the big one?
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
7 years ago
His time will come or he'll get moved off our roster. They are keeping him around for a reason. We'll see. There's a lot of guys fighting for snaps right now.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Yerko
7 years ago
This one really confuses me because Mike McCarthy and Rodgers have openly praised Abby numerous times.

He's a decent weapon that is not being utilized. Why keep 7 receivers when you are only using 3 for a majority of the time?
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
7 years ago
Yes, it is somewhat confusing as to why Abby isn't getting more reps.. the good news late in the season when crunch time starts to creep in, he should be healthy and ready to go.

Love the guy, but durability hasn't been his strength.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago

This one really confuses me because Mike McCarthy and Rodgers have openly praised Abby numerous times.

He's a decent weapon that is not being utilized. Why keep 7 receivers when you are only using 3 for a majority of the time?

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

All that stuff TotalPackers mentioned happened int he preseason. More proof that PS crap doesn't really matter. Jordy had 0 targets and 0 receptions in the PS. I don;t recall Aaron or Mikey praising him at all. Mike may have talked about his injury being over but nothing as it relates to him as a WR. I guess that meant he isn't a very good receiver. Oh wait PS crap don't matter at all. I forgot.

Also I said 7 WR was wasting a slot on the roster. There is no way to get all 7 involved in the game. Some one is going to draw the short straw. As of now it's Abby.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
7 years ago
McCarthy just doesn't really like going past 3 WRs anymore. Even when he got others "involved" like Davis and Monty they played like 5-10 snaps. If last year when All of Jones, Cobb and Adams were injured/incredibly ineffective and he couldn't even find a handful of snaps for anyone else it's not going to happen when everyone is healthy. Ever since McCarthy got obsessed with using "tempo" and trying to run a ton of plays he's only wanted to run 11 personnel and has really cut down on substituting and pre snap stuff.
Cheesey
7 years ago
Well, with the recent WR injuries in recent seasons, maybe he's keeping him to have some fresh legs if someone goes down.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
7 years ago

Well, with the recent WR injuries in recent seasons, maybe he's keeping him to have some fresh legs if someone goes down.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Would rather the starters had fresher legs in January than the back ups have fresh legs (and 0 experience) just in case an injury happens.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (7h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (13h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.