Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
7 years ago
It’s been suggested in the Perry thread that Peppers should have been cut so Hayward could have been signed.

First, a Peppers cut would have saved only $8M; Hayward signed for almost double: $15.3m [3yr/6.8M Guaranteed]. Only Trump’s accountant calls that a wash.

Second, what on earth makes anyone think that Peppers is done? If he ends the season playing like he has, he will get a contract next year. His worst play, the 14 yard Rainey run where he failed to keep contain. Okay, but what makes one look at that play and say he’s done? WATCH IT. Peppers lined up right and was explosive off the line, taking an angle to get Rainey running GB left. The entire OL went left. I’m guessing Peppers saw something on the scouting tape and was going to make a play. Or he may have thought Hyde from slot had contain [Capers did this all night-though on this play Hyde didn’t have contain because Dix did not move up to cover slot WR]. So he missed an assignment, doesn’t mean he’s done, did ya'll see him recover and chase Rainey?

Watch him in coverage on a zone blitz at 6:10 3Q 3rd and 12 from GB 13, watch him react to Cruz crossing in the middle; then react to Eli’s attempt to run.

All year Peppers has been pushing OTs back on his bull rushes.

Giants love those 3-4 yard crossing routes like Cruz ran on 3rd down above. To help out the young CBs, Capers had his interior pass rushers be vigilant to try to get in throwing lanes. Did ya see Peppers push the RG back 3 yards and still have the leverage and presence to knock down a sure completion to OBJ? The guy is like an albatross in the middle!

A few weeks ago, Peppers also got Perry one of his sacks pulling a “justin Smith.” From inside he took his guard and crashed into the tackle, Perry looped in for easy sack. This is how SF’s Aldon Smith got half of his sacks.

Third, Hayward was good, but injury prone. With Shields and Randall out, there is no guarantee Hayward would have been playing anyway. Cant sign a single injury prone guy for injury protection at a position. And looking at the way Rollins, Gunter and Hyde shut-down Giant receivers; Hayward was a luxury, not a need signing.

Fourth, we get 2 comp picks [one in 2017 for Hayward and one in 2018 for Peppers]. Keeping Peppers underscores that Sitton’s cut could not have been $$$ related. Ted didn’t sign Ahman Green and got Sitton as comp; Sitton and Lang allowed College not to be signed and Ted got comped half of a Mike Daniels [Not signing Kampman gave us another 4th-the second forth was used on Maine S McMillen]. The Peppers and Hayward comp picks will be parleyed into at least one good player.
Zero2Cool
7 years ago
Hindsight ignored. Julius Peppers over Casey Hayward. Not even a debate on my end. We needed more Linebackers and leadership than a CB that wouldn't have seen much of the field if not for the plethora of injuries.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
Hayward was overrated after his lucky rookie season. Peppers was the better choice without a doubt.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
sschind
7 years ago

It’s been suggested in the Perry thread that Peppers should have been cut so Hayward could have been signed.

First, a Peppers cut would have saved only $8M; Hayward signed for almost double: $15.3m [3yr/6.8M Guaranteed]. Only Trump’s accountant calls that a wash.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I'm not going to argue your other points because for the most part you are right and I'm not really arguing this one either but we would have had Hayward under contract for two more years. I don't know if that would end up being good or bad just that you can't compare 8 million for one year to 15 million over three. Signing Hayward would not have cost 8 million this year and we would have had a promising young D-back for two more years. Even if he was cut after this year he would he would have cost 6.8 million so really you are comparing 8 million to 6.8. Its kinda like saying "you can have Hayward for free this year or pay 1.2 million for Peppers. I'd take Peppers.

I'm not saying its what we should have done just putting a different spin on your first argument. I have not seen much of any of the games this year so I don't really know what Peppers is or isn't doing but I have always had a hunch that he was doing more than just what shows up in the box score.
DarkaneRules
7 years ago
Took promise of Gunter over payment to Hayward. I'm down with it.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DoddPower
7 years ago
I would much rather Hayward than Peppers, in hindsight. Hayward is having a pretty good year. He's young, reasonably affordable for a good slot CB, and will be contributing to his team for a long time after Julius Peppers is gone. Peppers offers little more or less than Nick Perry, Clay Mathews, and possibly Datone Jones. He's a good #3/4 player. That's not to say he has nothing to offer, it's just he's overpaid for his production. He'll get a few sacks but then disappear for long stretches and is one of the worst run defenders on the team.

I'm not saying Hayward for Peppers is a wash financially. The point is that any savings that cutting Peppers may have brought could have been used elsewhere for a player that would contribute to the Packers beyond this season. I mean let's face it, the Packers are highly unlikely to win the Super Bowl this year unless things change fast.

One thing that has to be said about Peppers is the damn guy is available. What more could you really ask for in that regard? He just rarely misses time due to injury. Very few players can say that. I just wish the Packers would have signed him before he went to the Bears.
nerdmann
7 years ago
Peppers is a walking advertisement for HGH.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
7 years ago
Leadership.

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
7 years ago

Leadership.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

He made his token one splash play every once and a while, and was basically completely irrelevant for the rest of the game. Although to be fair, his one play was nice, and all the other Packers defenders were lousy, too. Either way, the Packers are paying a lot of money for every one of Peppers limited splash plays. Also, his lecture didn't seem to make any difference, so who cares?
sschind
7 years ago

I would much rather Hayward than Peppers, in hindsight. Hayward is having a pretty good year. He's young, reasonably affordable for a good slot CB, and will be contributing to his team for a long time after Julius Peppers is gone. Peppers offers little more or less than Nick Perry, Clay Mathews, and possibly Datone Jones. He's a good #3/4 player. That's not to say he has nothing to offer, it's just he's overpaid for his production. He'll get a few sacks but then disappear for long stretches and is one of the worst run defenders on the team.

I'm not saying Hayward for Peppers is a wash financially. The point is that any savings that cutting Peppers may have brought could have been used elsewhere for a player that would contribute to the Packers beyond this season. I mean let's face it, the Packers are highly unlikely to win the Super Bowl this year unless things change fast.

One thing that has to be said about Peppers is the damn guy is available. What more could you really ask for in that regard? He just rarely misses time due to injury. Very few players can say that. I just wish the Packers would have signed him before he went to the Bears.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

You are saying that now with the benefit of knowing our wonder twins from last year may not be all that they were cracked up to be not to mention they have been injured. Would you have said the same thing in March (or whenever Hayward was signed away?) I'm just curious because sometimes current situations have a tendency to sway our opinions when the situation may have been completely different before.

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (2h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (2h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (9h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (9h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (10h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (13h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.