dfosterf
15 years ago
PackersHome name: Dfosterf

Real Name (first only):Im another one of the many Davids

Hometown:Madison

1) How did you choose your screen name? My middle name is Foster.

2) Could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family? My little brother and I lived with my maternal Grandmother in Madison until the summer between my 5th and 6th grades. My paternal grandparents lived about a block away. My mom died when I was very young, and my dad was overseas (He was a Federal law enforcement agent--- he was doing waste, fraud and abuse of foreign aid by the various despots in this world). I sort of ran things in that household, so one day my aunt (who lived in Monona) called my dad (who was in Karachi, Pakistan) and told him to get his ass home, as, David is running things , and I dont think she meant it in a positive light. In order to comply with this desire, my dad transferred to Washington, D.C., so thats where I spent the rest of my childhood, more specifically, Alexandria, Va. (They have human no fishing signs, there.)

3) Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any High School clubs and such? I played all the usual sports, but my primary passion was football. I hold a dubious distinction, in that I was the QB for one of the opponents of T.C. Williams high school, of Remember the Titans movie-fame, in that exact time-frame and with the white-flight issues that it entailed. . I spent four years on my back, as we had linemen no bigger than some of our opponents DBs and such. It was ugly.

4) What is your fondest memory of your teenage years? So many. Helene V. Cindy C. Diane B. Vickywell, you get the point. Salt and Pepper basketball. Skinny-dipping in the various swimming pools. Older kids going to The Nam, A friend driving a fork-lift off the top of a high-rise under construction (what a boom when it hit the ground), shooting bottle rockets into a cop-car from a storm drain when they were looking for usmany, many good memories.

5) What was your first job? I worked for a crazy SOB that owned the highest-volume gas station in Va. During the first gas-crisis. It was all full service, we wore white uniforms, checked everybodys hood, washed everybodys windshield and rear window, and customers were strongly discouraged from getting out of their car. The boss (retired AirForce) would coming running out and wipe the top of the gas island if a customer got out of their car and stepped on it. (They were painted white). He had a camera in his office and his home (He lived in a high-rise behind the gas station) If an employee ever stepped on an island, he was terminated on-the spot. I loved him. He paid us $1.75 an hour, when the minimum wage was $1.60 , PLUS he paid a commission on all the various fluids sold to customers.

6) What lead to your dedicated following of the Packers? I grew up in Wisconsin when Vince Lombardi was our coach. That is self-explanatory.

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories of the Packers? The Reggie White signing. The sense that Green Bay would no longer be perceived as a purgatory for mis-behaving NFL players.

8 ) How did you find the PackersHome and what keeps you active on the site? I found this site by talking smack over at PurplePride. They perceived me as a typical dumb-ass Packer fan, and I responded in-kind. I very much enjoy(ed) the back and forth over there, and one day Pack93z very kindly invited me to this forum. I WAS a very active member of PackerChatters, but the tone there is a tad bit anal and cliquish. This site is right-sized and much more personable and friendly. I think Kevin has struck an excellent balance here.

9) What other sports teams do you follow? I lean more towards hatred than fandom when it comes to other teams. I used to be an Orioles fan, back when they had Earl Weaver, Two-pack stanhouse, Bumbry, Cal, and a hell of a lot of fun and character as a baseball team. The strikes cured me of that. I also loved ACC basketball, along with the rivalry between the ACC and Big East, when all those greats played at the same time. Jordon, Worthy, Thompsons team at Georgetown, Virginia with all their great players, etc. Nowadays my number one sports following is Tiger Woods. I love to watch that man play golf, and did not watch any while he was gone. It just isnt the same without him. I even like the advertisements that have been running on the Golf channel announcing his return. They make me laughHe is the MAN. I think you need to play the game to truly appreciate how good he is.

10) When youre not on PackersHome what could you likely be found doing with your spare time? I play a lot of pool. I will be going back to golfing after a 11/2 year sabbatical, due to my combo Rottie/Bassett Hound getting reactionary when I touched his foodhe bit my right hand middle finger almost off. It is to the point that I will be able to play again.

11) If you could have one moment being part of the Packer organization, what would it be? Well, naturally, since I already think Im qualified, I would like to be GM on draft day. You think Teds arrogant? Youd be screaming for his return.

12) How many trips have you made to Lambeau? Ive been there around 20 times, but the last one was several years ago. It was by far my most memorable. I have a very good friend from D.C. He always takes me to the Redskin games (this gets into my preference to hate as contrasted to rooting for other teams/sports). I took him to Lambeau, my Uncle owns my Grandfathers tickets now9 rows back behind the Packer bench. I go to the shop and buy a Brett Jersey, my D.C. buddy is talking to Ahman Green and some of the life-long season ticket holders, (when I get back to the seat) one thing leads to another, Ahman asks me what I bought, I show him, he calls Brett over, and Brett signs it. This all before the game, which the Pack won, with boy-wonder no longer strutting on the field. Even my buddy thinks that Lambeau is the most magical place in sports, to the point that he didnt care that we beat the foreskins.

13) What is your worst fear? Anything happening to one of my kids.

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy? The pool I mentioned, Bsing with friends in my local watering hole, farting around with automobiles, rehabbing apartments buildings (little ones- one at a time, solo, mostly)

15) Whats your favorite food? Korean food. Almost all of it. I think Ive had just about every ethnic food there is, and the Koreans have stolen the cuisine of everyone that matters. If you havent had Korean food, get to a restaurant that doesnt have any engrish on the menu. Get the $50. for two, dont ask what it is, just have them bring it to you. You will thank me for that advice.

16) Where are some of the places youve been, and where are some of your favorites. I am a Marine. We are like cockroaches, we are everywhere. Favorites? I have so many, at different times I like home, wherever that is.

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime? I want some payback in Iran and Lebanon, and I will leave it at that. Were this wish realized, they wouldn't like it so much.

18) If you could live anywhere where would it be? In the continental United States, it would be San Diego. I like the proximity to Baja/Tijuana, etc. but wouldnt want to live in Mexico. 93z, I lived in Hawaii, wonderful place, but I would need a really good jet, helicopter and boat to want to live there permanently, and would choose Molokai over Maui if my preconditions were met.

19) Name your favorite 5 Packers all time and explain the reason for one of them. Bart Starr. Intelligence, class, demeanor. Every one the 60s Packers, especially the offensive linemen that got in the habit of telling their opponents what play they were going to run next (Green Bay Sweep) and daring them to stop it. Leroy Butler. He defined Packer people. Sterling Sharpe. He gave us hope and thrills. Majik man, same reason. Lynn Dickey, because I won a hundred bucks in 1983, off my aforementioned Redskin buddy, got thrown out of his abode, and upon being summarily thrown out, heard my buddy utter, Lynn dick-meI think STILL the highest scoring MNF game. Brett. Reggie taking over the Superbowl, because thats what needed to be done, in his (and my) opinion.

20) Up to this date, what is you favorite PackersHome feature or memory? Its the folks here. You remind me of home.

21) PM and post the next person to be interviewed. I want to hear from my very favorite gnome.

VIKESRULE
Pack93z
15 years ago
Excellent read..

Somehow I don't think living on the islands will come to realization.. but it is a desire. I would become a true beach bum type.. no rush to do anything bro.

You truly are a character, one that would be a muse to sit and BS a spill with.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Great interview. So quick aswell.

I still love the story about you and your Redskins-fan-friend. Nearly unreal, how the players just come up and talk to the crowd like that.

You're one of my favorite posters around, Dave, and this only adds to it.
dhazer
15 years ago
Good post Dave will be interesting time if we get together for the Packer-Steeler game. You can take the big guys and i'll stand behind you and hold your beer 😛 ok maybe i'll drink it lol.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
IronMan
15 years ago
Great read David. One of these days we need to get together and shoot some pool!
vikesrule
15 years ago
Well, well, well......

Some insight into the perverse combination of a jarhead/cheesehead.
That is an amalgamation of the most nefarious kind! ::wink:

Seriously Dave, you have led an interesting life and one that you can be very proud of.
Thirty years in the Corps.....extremely impressive. I doubt that I could made such a commitment, and dedicated life choice.
I salute you Sir! :salute:

I must add that I would definitely consider it an honor to meet you someday.

You are a worthy adversary, and truly a good man!

Sidenote: I am limited to "kind" words for cheeseheads to once year. :icon_smile:
Formo
15 years ago
Awesome read.

Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said.

Get crackin' Vikes!
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago
Awesome interview!!! I post on here to because it reminds me of home. 🙂
Heathiee
dfosterf
15 years ago
Thank you all for the kind words. Just to let you know, Vikesrule has been away on business, but he did promise he would be putting up his interview ASAP, possibly as soon as today.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Vikes needs to PM it to one of the members of the staff, ie Pack93z.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.