steveishere
7 years ago

You have lost your usual objectivity:

This is 2 weeks in a row you railed about Monty's snaps, last week you accused McCarthy of playing favorites. I guess you missed the memo; the med staff has Monty on a pitch count due to SCT [this is one of the possibilities suggested last week to you].

On Barclay. I'm not nearly as brilliant as Mike, but here's my thinking during camp and early season.

My BU swing tackle is a rookie!!!!!!!!!!! A ROOKIE!!!!! And I have 2 stating tackles that have had their share of injuries. Inside I have a BU veteran guard [Barclay] who should be serviceable 2 years removed from injury and Linsley coming back week 6. Given this every damn rep Spriggs gets is at Tackle...EVERY ONE! Until maybe around week 10 or 11, after showing more proficiency at Tackle and then we can get him a few reps at G.

I'll bet with Lang and JCT out, Spriggs this week took his first few snaps at G because he was backing up 4 OL positions v. Wash. Ya think Spriggs would have done better than Barclay against Baker? YOU ARE JUST WRONG! This week Spriggs should get a ton more reps at G and Murphy will be backing up 5 positions unless, as I suspect, they call up Patrick or Flores to play inside for Goodson's spot on 53. Then Murphy's reps can be focused at Tackle.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

What memo? I haven't seen anything confirming Montgomery is on a pitch count besides in 1 game (actually I think he said Monty wasn't on a pitch count against Tennessee but they "got away from their plan"). They play him in garbage time which is not smart if you are worried about a guys health. That combined with the fact that a completely healthy Montgomery wasted away on the bench for the first 4 weeks lends more to the idea that McCarthy doesn't favor him.

As for Barclay he was horrible last year he was horrible this year in preseason and he's been horrible on just about every regular season snap he's taken, he's not serviceable he's not even in the area code of serviceable. The guy simply does not belong on an NFL team regardless of if he's a vet or not. Maybe Spriggs wouldn't have done better against Baker but it's ridiculous to ASSUME he wouldn't since even though he's not been a guard he's an objectively better player than Barclay.
Porforis
7 years ago
I also would like to see something indicating in some concrete sense that he's on a pitch count. Was wondering where the hell he was after the 1st quarter yet again.

Side note - if he's on such a limited snap count, why use him so extensively in the 1st quarter and then send him packing? Spread it out. Make the defense scramble when they see him subbing onto the field even if he doesn't get the ball, and keep his usefulness throughout the game.
Barfarn
7 years ago
One of the MEMO s

Not sure why you guys actually need a memo. The sky is blue; water is wet; and why in the F%^$ would a coach not be playing Monty unless he was injured, sick or some other reason?

On Barclay: A better play less prepared is usually a worse player than the worse player better prepared.

If McCarthy is playing favorites and irrationally locked into a depth chart, why is Allison getting snaps over Abberdaris, Janis, Davis or Monty?

On why not spread out Monty's snaps: IN Indy, he's used at the end and one person gripes; then they use him in the beginning and another gripes. Its the Med staff advises a coach on what the expectations are; then during the course of the game that can change.

Mike knows that Monty is great! But the med staff says, EG, we believe he can play 20 snaps and 7 touches, now when you gonna use him? I'd use him in the 4th. The game ends up out of control in the 4th, you ask the med staff if playing him 10-15 snaps in 4th will have any negative future repercussions. If they say yes, he don't play; if they say no, then he gets the snaps to keep his body in game shape.

I'd guess in Wash after some exertion, they detected signs of some exertion sickling.

If you come away with anything get this: 8 NCAA football players have been documented to have DIED from overexerting while having SCT. Now Doctors Moe, Larry Curly, Shemp, Porforis and Steve, just how close to the point of death should Mike and the med staff be pushing Monty?
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

If McCarthy is playing favorites and irrationally locked into a depth chart, why is Allison getting snaps over Abberdaris, Janis, Davis or Monty?

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I'm guessing Geronimo gets more snaps over Jared because Geronimo is on the roster and Jared is not. 😆
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
7 years ago

I'm guessing Geronimo gets more snaps over Jared because Geronimo is on the roster and Jared is not. 😆

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

If Mike was playing favorites, would that be the case?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
7 years ago
I'm not blaming irrationality I'm blaming stubbornness. Mike is obsessed with sticking to the plan and "trusting the process". James Starks fits the plans Mike put in at the beginning of the season better than Montgomery does even though Monty is a better player. Same reason Davante played so much last year even though he was a complete detriment on that ankle almost every snap instead of even trying somebody else.
Barfarn
7 years ago

I'm not blaming irrationality I'm blaming stubbornness. Mike is obsessed with sticking to the plan and "trusting the process". James Starks fits the plans Mike put in at the beginning of the season better than Montgomery does even though Monty is a better player. Same reason Davante played so much last year even though he was a complete detriment on that ankle almost every snap instead of even trying somebody else.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

A couple of things I believe Mike is too stubborn is: (1) Running his short yardage every buddy in tight crap; and (2) Given the other team 1-2 of our time outs each first half. In Wash it especially egregious there was 3 and change left. If no INCs, the 3rd down will be coming off 2:00; then on third if Wash doesn't get 1st, and no INC, you call TO. You have a short field, 1:50 and 2 TOs, plenty of effing time. Also, when you call that TO after 1st down, it usually works to motivate the other team. Calling the TO only serves to show confidence in your D if they get the 3 and out; if they dont, it had a deflating effect and now the other team gets 7.

If we had our MVP QB: Monty is absolutely dynamic in backfield [So much so I want to draft another one next year], if indeed Mike is putting Monty on the SL so Starks can play, then this is outrageous and I'm going with Uffda in that Ted needs to come down and fire Mike right there in the second quarter.

But, Monty isn't healthy and I'm not sure of the cumulative affect snaps will have on the exertion sickling over the season. And McCarthy needs to protect his fragile minded QB by keeping the threat of a running more of a threat. And it doesnt matter what Monty's average is if the other team doesn't respect his running ability. And that's why he's so successful, beucase other teas dont thing we'll run when Monty's at RB.

Like I said, if you were privy to Mike's strategy, and the limitations he faces, you would not be upset.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7m) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (53m) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (16h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (16h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (16h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (17h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.