Zero2Cool
7 years ago

Part of the reason for posting this was to discuss.
Was Clay crying
Should they try and legislate (I hate more rules)
Will there be a fine on a legal hit

Originally Posted by: wpr 

No, no more damn rules, no! These athletes gotta stop being such whine bag bitches. If you can't handle getting hit on the football field, go play soccer you little dancing fairies! I wish I had the build and talent to get my ass pummeled every Sunday playing a game I love. Hearing "it was a cheap shot" from someone who did almost the same thing to someone half his size? STFU.

What's this posting stuff to discuss on a discussion board, what's this nonsense? [bdance]
UserPostedImage
sschind
7 years ago
Put me down for nothing cheap about it. With my crappy internet I had to check out 4 websites before I got a decent look but I finally found one that kept playing all the way through and didn't stop and start at the critical moment. Looks nice and clean to me. Actually I think it was a thing of beauty. He didn't lead with his helmet and he hit him on the shoulder with his shoulder. If we start making these types of hits illegal where do we stop. Does the blocker needs to tap him on the shoulder and say "excuse me I'm going to block you now"
sschind
7 years ago

The Warren Sapp play on Chad Clifton was much worse.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Worse perhaps but wouldn't say much worse. Which, since I don't think there was anything wrong with the Barbre block, means I don't really see anything wrong with the Sapp block. It does look like he maybe tilted his head a little and launched himself even though he didn't leave his feet. I think what makes it seem worse to me is that it was so unnecessary. Clifton was so far out of the play it might as well have occurred in the huddle. Matthews still had a chance to make the tackle.

OK, so after watching it a few more times it was worse. Perhaps the only reason he didn't leave his feet (both feet anyway) is because he hit him so soon. I still wouldn't like to see plays like this made illegal (was Sapp flagged at all or fined, I don't recall) I've seen much worse than that even.
Barfarn
7 years ago

There's nothing technical about the hit being legal. It was legal. End of story. Stop making excuses and trying to create a gray area.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Grey doesn’t play well in the sound-bite world like back-white does.

Here’s the rule, by its very nature it is about 90% grey:

“Article 8 There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited to: (a)-(j) [Stuff that Babre didn’t do]…
Note: If in doubt about a roughness call or potentially dangerous tactics, the covering official(s) should always call unnecessary roughness.”

And by Article 9 Clay was deemed to be defenseless.

If it’s deemed the force of Babre’s hit was unnecessary or was dangerous; then it was illegal and a flag should have been thrown and he'll get a fine or a reprimand from NFL

But the topic was “cheap shot” not legal/illegal. I don’t think a guy that accidentally grabs a face mask is committing a “cheap shot” though it’s illegal. If Babre announces he was trying put Clay out of the game, HE WILL BE FINED. I believe Babre was trying to injure Clay [and BTW, Clay was trying to injure R. Wilson, but he deserved it😂] I think the hit was a dangerous tactic and I think he could have easily accomplished his assignment using less force,so it was unnecessary. And like Chuck Cecil, Babre stupidly exposed himself to a greater risk of injury.

So, I say it was both illegal and a cheap shot [because an illegal hit was made on a defenseless player], plus stupid.

If football is to survive past 2040 or so, this type of hitting must stop. Each player needs to police his own behavior and deliver hits only in necessary measure and NEVER to injure another.
Barfarn
7 years ago

Put me down for nothing cheap about it. With my crappy internet I had to check out 4 websites before I got a decent look but I finally found one that kept playing all the way through and didn't stop and start at the critical moment. Looks nice and clean to me. Actually I think it was a thing of beauty. He didn't lead with his helmet and he hit him on the shoulder with his shoulder. If we start making these types of hits illegal where do we stop. Does the blocker needs to tap him on the shoulder and say "excuse me I'm going to block you now"

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I would have agreed with this 100% a few years ago. But, now with what we know about concussions and how that constitutes a direct threat to the game; this is the very type of hit the NFL is trying to legislate out.
sschind
7 years ago

"I was just blocking whoever and it turned out to be the quarterback and obviously calls are going to go in their direction whether it was a blind-side hit or whatever," Matthews said Sunday after the game. "I'm just looking to pick up a block and unfortunately that's just how the game played out."

Clay didn't have a problem with his similar hit on Russell Wilson in that NFC Championship. I guess it's different when you are the one that gets blown up.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Clay's hit on Wilson was helmet to helmet and they are going to call that every time, especially against a QB. It didn't seem to be nearly as hard or solid other than that. More of a glancing blow. Definitely illegal because of the helmet to helmet.

steveishere
7 years ago
Cheap or illegal or not Clay is a damn hypocrite for complaining about it
sschind
7 years ago

I would have agreed with this 100% a few years ago. But, now with what we know about concussions and how that constitutes a direct threat to the game; this is the very type of hit the NFL is trying to legislate out.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I see your point but its just another example taking things too far IMO. He didn't lead with his helmet, there was no helmet to helmet, he hit him in the shoulder with his shoulder. Clay's momentum in the opposite direction of Barbre had a lot to do with the severity of it (it wasn't a glancing blow rather a head on collision) By making the defenders, or blockers or whoever start thinking about whether its going to be an illegal hit or not you are causing them to hesitate which could open them up to injury.

What exactly would you say to someone in Barbre's position other than "try not to hit him so hard" Assuming they should, how do you teach players to act any differently on that play.

The one point of relevance I could agree with is the defenseless player argument but I still don't see anything cheap or illegal so we will have to agree to disagree I guess.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

No, no more damn rules, no! These athletes gotta stop being such whine bag bitches. If you can't handle getting hit on the football field, go play soccer you little dancing fairies! I wish I had the build and talent to get my ass pummeled every Sunday playing a game I love. Hearing "it was a cheap shot" from someone who did almost the same thing to someone half his size? STFU.

What's this posting stuff to discuss on a discussion board, what's this nonsense? [bdance]

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You sir are a maniac. 😝
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

Originally Posted by: sschind 

POTD.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (4h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (19h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (19h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (20h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (20h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.