Porforis
7 years ago
This very well may be ignorance on my part but if it's that huge of a concern that he could legitimately die from football contact why is he cleared to play at all? It's like letting Nick Collins back but only letting him play 10 snaps a game. Only takes one bad hit to paralyze him, and they didn't want to touch him with a 10 foot pole. If it's such a high risk why clear him to play at all?
yooperfan
7 years ago

This very well may be ignorance on my part but if it's that huge of a concern that he could legitimately die from football contact why is he cleared to play at all? It's like letting Nick Collins back but only letting him play 10 snaps a game. Only takes one bad hit to paralyze him, and they didn't want to touch him with a 10 foot pole. If it's such a high risk why clear him to play at all?

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!

steveishere
7 years ago

They've also been using him at RB in garbarge time. What is the point of that if you have him on such a small "pitch count" because your worried about his health.
Barfarn
7 years ago

PITCH COUNT! Lol! That's the best reason you can come up with? Give me a break. 8 carries in 3 games is not a pitch count with only 1 carry last week. That is a change of pace WR playing RB. The REAL RB had 33 carries in the last 3 game incl 17 last week.

Even at that Statks isn't blowing anyone away. If Mikey thought for a moment that Ty could get the job done on a semi consistent basis he could have him carrying the rock 10 times a game. That would be a pitch count.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Calling Dr. Moe, Dr. Larry, Dr.Curly, Dr wpr. It’s not my excuse; it’s 1265’s explanation. Now read this book and learn somethin’.

I’ll also explain how Rodgers gave SCT to Monty😲!

SCT is a bitch.

What happens is under exertion, dehydration, high altitude, pressure like as in scuba diving, etc.; the red blood cells begin to sickle and they become much less efficient at transporting oxygen. If too many red blood cells sickle, oxygen deprivation to muscles and organs causes them to break down, organs can die…PEOPLE CAN DIE. Monty’s kidneys were bleeding from SCT; this is very serious, 100x more serious than any one or two or 10 concussions.

One of the problems is they don’t know what causes it. Some people w/ SCT go into high altitudes or scuba dive or get dehydrated and DIE. Others with SCT fail to show any outward affects under the same conditions.

Another problem is that after the cells being to sickle they don’t “unsickle.” So when the stresser is gone; they stay sickled for ever. If enough cells sickle it is too dangerous to play football, so a transfusion must be given or time must be given until the sickled cells naturally die off and are replaced by new non sickled cells.

I expect over the last few weeks the med staff has 100% control over Monty’s play in games and practice. A detailed log is kept of everything athletic Monty is doing and he’s probably been pricked for a few drops of blood 10-15-20-50x per day. They’re trying to correlate exactly how much sickling occurs for a certain amount of exertion and rest.

Maybe some good news is that it is believed heat accentuates the sickling; so it’s likely Monty can play more as it gets colder.

Until Monty starts playing a lot, which would indicate the med staff has a grip on what is happening, don’t be shocked if you see them put Monty on IR or he retires.

Oh yea, I think SCT is exasperated by stress, so when Monty thinks he’s not getting Aaron’s trust his cells being to sickle like one’s gonads retract into their cavity after being horse-kicked. [This joke is your reward for reading this book].
Barfarn
7 years ago

They've also been using him at RB in garbarge time. What is the point of that if you have him on such a small "pitch count" because your worried about his health.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

[See post above] contact per se is not the issue. Though i would think getting hit would add marginally to the exertion that causes sickling.

I would suspect the med staff gave Mike the pitch count not only in number, but timing as well. EG Mike might have been told give him X consecutive snaps in the 1st Q; Y minutes later, Z consecutive snaps and A minutes later B consecutive snaps; etc. Then blood sample would be collected throughout the game to see how much sickling was occurring given the workload and rest. I’m sure the plays in garbage time were prescribed by the med staff. They're being cautious, but also trying to find out how to control the sickling.

And the #of plays Monty gets might be contingent on how often he gets hit, so the med staff may have instructed to, EG, put him in for 5 plays but deduct one for every 2 hits.
steveishere
7 years ago

[See post above] contact per se is not the issue. Though i would think getting hit would add marginally to the exertion that causes sickling.

I would suspect the med staff gave Mike the pitch count not only in number, but timing as well. EG Mike might have been told give him X consecutive snaps in the 1st Q; Y minutes later, Z consecutive snaps and A minutes later B consecutive snaps; etc. Then blood sample would be collected throughout the game to see how much sickling was occurring given the workload and rest. I’m sure the plays in garbage time were prescribed by the med staff. They're being cautious, but also trying to find out how to control the sickling.

And the #of plays Monty gets might be contingent on how often he gets hit, so the med staff may have instructed to, EG, put him in for 5 plays but deduct one for every 2 hits.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

That would be ridiculous and is flat out just not likely at all, it's not a science experiment. If they are that worried about him they would be doing all that in the training room/lab not on the field in active games where Mike can't even control if he's needed for x snaps however many minutes after he has his last however many snaps.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

Very funny. Every medical staff sits down prior to a game and determines how many plays in garbage time their team will have that day. Then they let the HC know that player X can play in a certain amount of them.

Do you know how long it takes a lab to check blood for sickle? If they draw blood in the first Q they probably won't have the results before the game is over. More than likely not for another day or two.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
7 years ago

Very funny. Every medical staff sits down prior to a game and determines how many plays in garbage time their team will have that day. Then they let the HC know that player X can play in a certain amount of them.

Do you know how long it takes a lab to check blood for sickle? If they draw blood in the first Q they probably won't have the results before the game is over. More than likely not for another day or two.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Are you a moderator?

FYI, if Obama was feeling ill and trait was suspected; they'd screen for it in a few minutes and have results in less than 1 hour.

Also, FYI, GB doesn't send their blood samples to Quest diagnostics.

Barfarn
7 years ago

That would be ridiculous and is flat out just not likely at all, it's not a science experiment. If they are that worried about him they would be doing all that in the training room/lab not on the field in active games where Mike can't even control if he's needed for x snaps however many minutes after he has his last however many snaps.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Glad you're not on the med staff of 1265.

I'm sure they did various tests in the training room, but it would be negligent to use those results as a basis for when and how his cells might sickle playing football. I don't think you understand, a mistake like that could lead to a player being on dialyses for the rest of his life or death. If you want to accurately learn how a guy's hemoglobin reacts to football, he's got to play football, not run on a treadmill.

Damn this sound bite world. The guidelines are given to the coach by the med staff; the variables dont have to be exact like 4 Minutes 22 seconds; they act as a guideline and if the game prevents the plan from being executed, then they adjust. But, this is why he played in garbage time, the med staff wanted to see how his hemoglobin would react.

Well, or a highly successful NFL football coach risked an important player's health in garbage time; com'mon step back look at what you're saying; it makes no sense. There was a reason for what happened.

Monty's situation is no more a "science experiment" than what happened with Mathews. The med staff examined Clay on Saturday and cleared him to play. Then Babre's hit interfered with the med staff's plan. They examined him and cleared him to play again. If Clay tweaked something else or the shoulder hurt or he felt weakness in a different way; they would exam again and advise of his availability based on the exam's results.

The only difference between what is happening with Monty and Clay is that soft tissue injures have a different standard of exam than SCT.
steveishere
7 years ago

Glad you're not on the med staff of 1265.

I'm sure they did various tests in the training room, but it would be negligent to use those results as a basis for when and how his cells might sickle playing football. I don't think you understand, a mistake like that could lead to a player being on dialyses for the rest of his life or death. If you want to accurately learn how a guy's hemoglobin reacts to football, he's got to play football, not run on a treadmill.

Damn this sound bite world. The guidelines are given to the coach by the med staff; the variables dont have to be exact like 4 Minutes 22 seconds; they act as a guideline and if the game prevents the plan from being executed, then they adjust. But, this is why he played in garbage time, the med staff wanted to see how his hemoglobin would react.

Well, or a highly successful NFL football coach risked an important player's health in garbage time; com'mon step back look at what you're saying; it makes no sense. There was a reason for what happened.

Monty's situation is no more a "science experiment" than what happened with Mathews. The med staff examined Clay on Saturday and cleared him to play. Then Babre's hit interfered with the med staff's plan. They examined him and cleared him to play again. If Clay tweaked something else or the shoulder hurt or he felt weakness in a different way; they would exam again and advise of his availability based on the exam's results.

The only difference between what is happening with Monty and Clay is that soft tissue injures have a different standard of exam than SCT.

Glad you aren't either, even though you act like you are. It's negligent to use live action to test for something that you are worried could realistically cause possible death or dialisys for the rest of his life. If it was that serious his season would be done until they were sure that it wasn't that much of a risk instead of conducting science experiments with the guys life on the field.

Yeah, the reason for what's happened is that McCarthy likes James Starks to be GBs RB more than he likes Ty Montgomery to be GBs RB.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.