nerdmann
7 years ago

Just in case: Brett Hundley ready if Aaron Rodgers' hamstring acts up

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

Imagine a guy who's gonna run the offense!

No stat whoring, no holdin it for 8+, no sandlot football. Just hitting the open guy consistently. With Hundley and Callahan back in the fold, we could conceivably trade Aaron in the offseason.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
7 years ago

No stat whoring, no holdin it for 8+, no sandlot football. Just hitting the open guy consistently. With Hundley and Callahan back in the fold, we could conceivably trade Aaron in the offseason.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Imagine a guy that throws INT because the defensive coordinator blitzed and tricked him with the coverage.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
7 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

What I don't understand is what you've seen from Hundley that makes you so confident he's able to have success starting in the NFL. Not to say that he CAN'T, but what have you seen and what strikes you about him? He's 2 for 7 for 17 yards, a pick, and a fumble which he thankfully recovered during his regular season career. In the preseason he was 5 for 7 for 67 yards. Yes, he looked good in 2015 against backups. Backups.

Yes stats are absolutely not anything, but let's even say that Rodgers was making half the salary he is now - Have you honestly seen enough from a dude that's 23 and in his second season and has barely hit the field to trade away your QB? Yes yes yes rodgers is overpaid and hurting the team because of it. Then why not sign some cheap utility QB if all you need to do is hit the open QB consistently and just stand in the pocket? Hell, that's exactly what Callahan is. I mean, it's a guarantee we'll win a bunch of games if we free up that cap space so why not?

I don't accept the "No stat whoring, no holdin it for 8+, no sandlot football. Just hitting the open guy consistently" argument - Rodgers is #15 in the league right now among QBs with > 100 attempts at 64.4%. Way under what it should be. But he's also #6 in yards, and #2 in touchdowns.

Okay, so let's say those stats are because Rodgers is just stat whoring. He'd still be middle of the road if you TAKE AWAY from his yards and TDs the difference between this year and last year's running production. Which as we all know is a silly comparison, but I really don't know how else to be reasonable about this. Rodgers is playing average this year. Everybody on this board with maybe one or two exceptions readily admits this and that he's not playing up to his salary. Pretending he's single-handedly and intentionally screwing over the team ignores the facts and relies on "Hey this kid that's thrown 7 balls in the NFL can start for our team!", emotion-driven speculation, and ignores that we've seen a sample size of 7 in which Hundley is put in the same situation which, by your logic he should do well with. Let's be reasonable.
buckeyepackfan
7 years ago

Let's be reasonable.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

You do realize who you are responding to?
😁 😁

I remeber when Aaron came in for Brett in that Dallas game several years , even though The Packers lost, Aaron showed he was ready to step in.

(continuously knocking on wood)I can only hope that Hundley is just as prepared now as Aaron was then.
I also hope he never gets a chance to show it this year.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Barfarn
7 years ago

What I don't understand is what you've seen from Hundley that makes you so confident he's able to have success starting in the NFL. Not to say that he CAN'T, but what have you seen and what strikes you about him? He's 2 for 7 for 17 yards, a pick, and a fumble which he thankfully recovered during his regular season career. In the preseason he was 5 for 7 for 67 yards. Yes, he looked good in 2015 against backups. Backups.

As a rookie Hundley was quite unbelievable; a ton better than Rodgers was a s a rookie! It absolutely blows we could not see his progress from yr 1 to 2; but he did some amazing things in the short time he played this pre-season. If the staff thought Hundley needed another year, he'd be 3rd on chart, not 2nd.

Can he play as well as the real Aaron Rodgers? No!
Can he play as well as Rodgers played in Philly? Probably not.
But he'd run circles around same ole' Jay dopple-ganger Rodgers that's been playing QB for the last 1.5 years.

I think he'll be as good as Dak Prescott. It wont be as pretty as Rodgers when Rodgers is on; but to win with Mike's system we don't need pretty, just need a QB that is assignment sure.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago

As a rookie Hundley was quite unbelievable; a ton better than Rodgers was a s a rookie! It absolutely blows we could not see his progress from yr 1 to 2; but he did some amazing things in the short time he played this pre-season. If the staff thought Hundley needed another year, he'd be 3rd on chart, not 2nd.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

This is hilarious and.
Rookie Stats:
PASSING STATS SEASON TEAM GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT
Aaron 2005 GB 3 9 16 56.3 65 4.06 0 16 1 2 -- 39.8
Brett 2015 GB 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -- 0
Note- these numbers are not worth the effort of getting them lined up into columns.

Aaron didn't play much as a rookie but at least he had "stats". Hundley wasn't even good enough to get on to the field his rookie season. And don't give me that preseason crap. Preseason stats are nothing. Backups playing backups in vanilla formations where coaches don't really care who wins or loses "just don't get my boys hurt" scrimmages are not games. The outcomes are so meaningless the coaching staffs won't use the proper strategies of going for two to get a tie and go into overtime.

As far as Huntley being so "good" that he isn't #3 on the depth chart- there is no #3. There are only 2 QBs on the Packers roster. Sure they have a guy on the PS but any other team who wants him can get him if they are willing to put him on their 53 man roster. No one does. 2 tried it and bounced him within weeks. I was going to look but don;t want to waste my time. There are probably not more than 5 or 6 teams that even have 3 qbs.

Can he play as well as the real Aaron Rodgers? No!
Can he play as well as Rodgers played in Philly? Probably not.
But he'd run circles around same ole' Jay dopple-ganger Rodgers that's been playing QB for the last 1.5 years.

1. Absolutely not.
2. Hardly
3. Like Porforis said, what makes you say this? There is no evidence whatsoever empirical or otherwise that would make any reasonable person leap to this conclusion.

I think he'll be as good as Dak Prescott. It wont be as pretty as Rodgers when Rodgers is on; but to win with Mike's system we don't need pretty, just need a QB that is assignment sure.

See above. SMH.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
7 years ago

This is hilarious and.
Rookie Stats:
PASSING STATS SEASON TEAM GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT
Aaron 2005 GB 3 9 16 56.3 65 4.06 0 16 1 2 -- 39.8
Brett 2015 GB 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -- 0
Note- these numbers are not worth the effort of getting them lined up into columns.

Aaron didn't play much as a rookie but at least he had "stats". Hundley wasn't even good enough to get on to the field his rookie season. And don't give me that preseason crap. Preseason stats are nothing. Backups playing backups in vanilla formations where coaches don't really care who wins or loses "just don't get my boys hurt" scrimmages are not games. The outcomes are so meaningless the coaching staffs won't use the proper strategies of going for two to get a tie and go into overtime.

As far as Huntley being so "good" that he isn't #3 on the depth chart- there is no #3. There are only 2 QBs on the Packers roster. Sure they have a guy on the PS but any other team who wants him can get him if they are willing to put him on their 53 man roster. No one does. 2 tried it and bounced him within weeks. I was going to look but don;t want to waste my time. There are probably not more than 5 or 6 teams that even have 3 qbs.

1. Absolutely not.
2. Hardly
3. Like Porforis said, what makes you say this? There is no evidence whatsoever empirical or otherwise that would make any reasonable person leap to this conclusion.

See above. SMH.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

You might want to check PS stats [139PR; all other QBs in 80s]! Not that that is my basis, but they're reflective. Dissect the plays to learn what Hundley's reads were and then you'll see how he performed in the system, but ignore the result.

There is only 2 QBs on the roster because the staff KNOWS Hundley is ready. If he wasn't, there'd be a Tolzien type as #2. They weren't stupid when the got rid of Favre; they knew what they had in Rodgers and this could not be predicted by fans from his stats from his 1st 3 years.

You should read some of my early stuff on Callahan. Steve is one of the smartest guys here [and any other forum] and he didn't think much of Callahan. My response is below. A few weeks later the buzz started, but you heard it right here first; then he made the rosters of GB, NO and Clev, cant get anymore empirical than that in a sound bite.

Steve,
I see the tentativeness of which you speak; but I see it as a positive at this juncture. Hundley is special, arguably more special that Rodgers was at this time in career. Most GMs missed on this guy, because I dont think Ted takes Hundley unless he sees him a 1-2 or early third round pick. Though one advantage Hundley has is he has Rodgers and Rodgers had Favre. Having Rodgers chirp in your ear on every play about not only what was done wrong, but on the tiniest of things to refine and perfect his game is of immeasurable value to a guy who is an intelligent talented sponge.

The Niners w/ Kapernick had him do 1 read and the dump-off or run. With the best and healthy OL, Gore and a few decent weapons, he looked decisive and good and he let it rip all the time. Then we saw what Kapernik would be like with Newhouse at Tackle, Quarles at TE and Benson as a RB. He never developed, it was all smoke and mirrors.

Callahan's inability to let it rip is because he's mentally overwhelmed most of the time because he dedicated to the process of learning his progressions. The game planning focused on the run doesn't lend itself to Callahan letting lose either.

Look at the play at :40 2Q 2nd and 13. Davis, Monty and Perillo are lined up right in that order outside in. Davis is first read, he does a slant at about 7 yards; Perillo is #2 with an in at the sticks; and Monty #3 is running the seem. Freeze frame when Callhan begins to draw back his arm, Monty is covered by a guy at second level [who have dropped about 10 yards of LOS]. But Monty comes open running as he clears 2nd level and Callahan drops the ball in right between 2nd level and closing safety, he just overthrew an open Monty by a few yards. Callahan threw with great anticipation and threw to the guy that would yield the best results. His aim was a little off; but this will improve as the reads become more automatic.

On the next play it was 3rd and 13 and 2 guys were kept in to block and the 3 receivers ran patterns no more than 5 yards deep. Why max protect on a 5 yard or less routes? Makes no sense. If this was regular season and if Mike McCarthy ran that play, it would have been to get intel on the D; I assume Callahan called the wrong combo of routes and protection.
nerdmann
7 years ago

Yes stats are absolutely not anything, but let's even say that Rodgers was making half the salary he is now - Have you honestly seen enough from a dude that's 23 and in his second season and has barely hit the field to trade away your QB? Yes yes yes rodgers is overpaid and hurting the team because of it. Then why not sign some cheap utility QB if all you need to do is hit the open QB consistently and just stand in the pocket? Hell, that's exactly what Callahan is. I mean, it's a guarantee we'll win a bunch of games if we free up that cap space so why not?

I don't accept the "No stat whoring, no holdin it for 8+, no sandlot football. Just hitting the open guy consistently" argument - Rodgers is #15 in the league right now among QBs with > 100 attempts at 64.4%. Way under what it should be. But he's also #6 in yards, and #2 in touchdowns.

Okay, so let's say those stats are because Rodgers is just stat whoring. He'd still be middle of the road if you TAKE AWAY from his yards and TDs the difference between this year and last year's running production. Which as we all know is a silly comparison, but I really don't know how else to be reasonable about this. Rodgers is playing average this year. Everybody on this board with maybe one or two exceptions readily admits this and that he's not playing up to his salary. Pretending he's single-handedly and intentionally screwing over the team ignores the facts and relies on "Hey this kid that's thrown 7 balls in the NFL can start for our team!", emotion-driven speculation, and ignores that we've seen a sample size of 7 in which Hundley is put in the same situation which, by your logic he should do well with. Let's be reasonable.

Way under what it should be?

This is the dude who refuses to leave the game in a blowout loss, because he wants to pad his stats against prevent defense. Instead of letting the new guy get some reps that he missed in preseason due to his ankle injury.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
7 years ago
Callahan was super conservative and tentative in the 1st 2 games that's when I brought it up. He cut it loose more in the 3rd game which is what I wanted to see. I still like him as a prospect but he's just not anything to get excited about to me unless he makes a major leap next year. I didn't care at all that we cut him and he got picked up but I don't mind him being on the practice squad. No idea if Hundley could be a full time starter. You can't really tell that until the bullets are live in the regular season. He's got all the tools and he's smart but we have no idea if he's got game until we see it.
beast
7 years ago

Callahan was super conservative and tentative in the 1st 2 games that's when I brought it up. He cut it loose more in the 3rd game which is what I wanted to see. I still like him as a prospect but he's just not anything to get excited about to me unless he makes a major leap next year. I didn't care at all that we cut him and he got picked up but I don't mind him being on the practice squad. No idea if Hundley could be a full time starter. You can't really tell that until the bullets are live in the regular season. He's got all the tools and he's smart but we have no idea if he's got game until we see it.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

But he was super conservative because he was being chased around. .. Packers 3rd string OL sucked... and Callahan straight up shocked me a couple of times with his mental react times, taking what surely was going to be a negative play and somehow turning it into something.

I don't know if he physical has the tool for the NFL... but I felt like he showed he's mental reaction was better than the average NFL backup (which is down right shocking for a rookie)... I feel like Callahan could have a Rodgers like mind with a Flynn like physical tool set. Maybe never a franchise guy, but if he stays healthy, he might last a decade in the NFL.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders