Zero2Cool
7 years ago
Doubt anyone can disagree with this.

The case of cornerback Casey Hayward underscores anew the uncertainty that accompanies the major personnel decisions general managers must make all the time in the National Football League.

Green Bay’s Ted Thompson evaluated past performance, player health, cost and replacement options before deciding to let Hayward walk as an unrestricted free agent in March.

Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you.

If we knew then what we know now, the Packers would be a better team if Hayward still were on their roster. Injuries and disappointing performance have beset the cornerback position just as Hayward has been a model of ball-hawking and durability with the San Diego Chargers.

Continue Reading @ PackersNews 

PackersNews wrote:

UserPostedImage
steveishere
7 years ago
I was on board with letting Hayward go until I saw what little San Diego paid him. He played the 3rd most snaps for us last year and overall had a quality year, that makes him well worth 5m. You don't let that go for cheap like that.
beast
7 years ago

Doubt anyone can disagree with this.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Huh? ... of course I disagree... I wanted Hayward back, if the price was right. And the price was right.

Also I'd like to have Hayward back (at least if the price is right). He's very good in the nickel role, and really teams play in nickel something like 70% of the time, and it seems to be going up. Plus while I normally really like Hyde, last year seemed to be an off year for him. Plus Hayward keeps Rollins in the dime role which he seemed to dominate at and gives us more CB depth.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Packers got in some trouble with their cap next season, and were watching it, which is what lead them to problems... in not resigning Hayward and releasing Sitton to open up cap room. People complain that Ted Thompson doesn't sign outside FAs, but the cap suggest that Ted surely does spend the money... with a select few outside FAs and resigning Packers.

Hayward (at that price) was worth resigning and I would of said the same thing before the season, as I was pushing to keep Hayward unless he got those big numbers like Tramon Williams got and to a lesser extent like House got.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago
I didn't mind letting him go. Ted's catch and release moves usually prove to work out. If the team wasn't decimated with injured CBs not much would be said about it. The thing that makes you wonder since Hayward signed for such a reasonable amount did Ted even bother to talk to his agent? Or was Ted salivating so much over the prospect of a supp 4th round pick that he couldn't wait for Hayward to get out the door. SD is not renowned as a SB contender each and every season so Hayward didn't give them a discount for the chance to play in the SB.
UserPostedImage
beast
7 years ago

If the team wasn't decimated with injured CBs not much would be said about it.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I don't know about it overall... but I was saying something about it all through training camp (don't know if I posted anything about it or not)... but the Packers had two rookie UDFAs as their 5th and 6th CBs... so I was talking about how the Packers really could of used more depth there since CB is such an important position and Hayward would of helped that depth.

The thing that makes you wonder since Hayward signed for such a reasonable amount did Ted even bother to talk to his agent? Or was Ted salivating so much over the prospect of a supp 4th round pick that he couldn't wait for Hayward to get out the door.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yeah, after seeing Hayward sign, that was the first thing that popped into my head as well. Though I was thinking more along the lines, did Ted not keep in touch with Hayward's agent or was Hayward so pissed he wanted to sign with anyone but the Packers (like WR Jennings, DE Jenkins, and a couple of others).

My random and crazy guess, is that the Packers and Hayward agent talked.... Hayward's agent had ideas about huge numbers like Williams and House got the year before... and Packers said no thanks and moved on, and did not keep in touch. 🤷

Though... it is hard to beat San Diego's weather.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 years ago
I read the whole article and even though I think McGinn is a turd monkey, he is absolutely right. We had no reason to believe our young CB's wouldn't make that step after the solid rookie campaigns and you don't go so spending that kind of cash on a position of strength.

The only failure in Hayward not being re-signed is we didn't use that money to bolster a weakness, such as Inside Linebacker. It was pretty obvious (even we fans saw it) the secondary was the strength. But, why not add a linebacker? You're only as strong as your weakest link, yet, we didn't make such a move. Maybe there wasn't one? I think that Danny Trevethan(sp) wanted to come to Green Bay. He was often injured and now on injured reserve, but that don't mean he would have had the same fate with Packers.

Paying Hayward makes as much sense as keeping 7 WR and only playing three of them. Oh, wait. ...

UserPostedImage
beast
7 years ago

I read the whole article and even though I think McGinn is a turd monkey, he is absolutely right. We had no reason to believe our young CB's wouldn't make that step after the solid rookie campaigns and you don't go so spending that kind of cash on a position of strength.

The only failure in Hayward not being re-signed is we didn't use that money to bolster a weakness, such as Inside Linebacker. It was pretty obvious (even we fans saw it) the secondary was the strength. But, why not add a linebacker? You're only as strong as your weakest link, yet, we didn't make such a move. Maybe there wasn't one? I think that Danny Trevethan(sp) wanted to come to Green Bay. He was often injured and now on injured reserve, but that don't mean he would have had the same fate with Packers.

Paying Hayward makes as much sense as keeping 7 WR and only playing three of them. Oh, wait. ...

I simple disagree (other than the McGinn part). The Packers were clearly thin at depth at CB (as I never trusted Goodson and not all 3 rookies were probably going to pan out) and that's not a position you want to be thin at, because other positions can't make up for it (though to a degree a versatile guy like Hyde can).

The ILBers position has been greatly improved by Ryan and Martinez... and it is clearly a position that can be helped by other positions as Burnett, Hyde, Matthews and once in awhile others have shown.

And when Trevethan made those comments, I looked into them. Based on Trevethan words, going back a year...if he left the Broncos, he seemed very locked into rejoining John Fox if the cash was close to being his best offer. Only reason he talked about Green Bay is because a reporter asked if he could had played well in Green Bay... that is a set up question because you know no player is going to say they can't play.... the person asking the questions knew they were writing about before asking the questions and set up Trevethan to get the answers they wanted for the story they wanted... more of the media making the news instead of simple reporting it.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
7 years ago
It's not just "knowing what we know now". We knew in the offseason that our secondary was better with Hayward on it. If he gets paid big money then yeah let him walk and count on the young guys to step up, that's how it works. We let him go to save 5m when we are spending 3m on a back up RB and 8m on a part-time pass rusher. It really wasn't a great move hindsight or otherwise.
Zero2Cool
7 years ago
You don't go spend a 1st and 2nd round pick on CB's who are your 2nd and 3rd and then drop $5 million on another CB when you have more youth in the wings. Boggles my mind how some think that's fiscally wise in any sense.

How many times was Hayward toasted on the outside? Do we forget that? Do we ignore his hamstring problems? He's not a game changer like Clay Matthews when healthy.

We complain about lack of speed, yet we're going to say we should have paid to keep Hayward?

I watched the chat. I watched the posts. People constantly complained about Hayward underperforming. And now some want to say we should have re-signed him? Sorry, that's just wrong. You don't use 1st and 2nd round draft picks on a position and then dump more money into it. You have to trust your scouting and your process. If you have to re-sign someone like Casey Hayward after using 1st and 2nd round picks on the same position, you need to fire your secondary coach for not being able to develop players, or fire your scouting department that you trusted when you made those picks lol

We're going to say a backup RB is less than a 4th string CB now? What? lol Stop it lol

UserPostedImage
steveishere
7 years ago

You don't go spend a 1st and 2nd round pick on CB's who are your 2nd and 3rd and then drop $5 million on another CB when you have more youth in the wings. Boggles my mind how some think that's fiscally wise in any sense.

How many times was Hayward toasted on the outside? Do we forget that? Do we ignore his hamstring problems? He's not a game changer like Clay Matthews when healthy.

We complain about lack of speed, yet we're going to say we should have paid to keep Hayward?

I watched the chat. I watched the posts. People constantly complained about Hayward underperforming. And now some want to say we should have re-signed him? Sorry, that's just wrong. You don't use 1st and 2nd round draft picks on a position and then dump more money into it. You have to trust your scouting and your process. If you have to re-sign someone like Casey Hayward after using 1st and 2nd round picks on the same position, you need to fire your secondary coach for not being able to develop players, or fire your scouting department that you trusted when you made those picks lol

We're going to say a backup RB is less than a 4th string CB now? What? lol Stop it lol

Sure you do. Our defense routinely uses 4,5,6 DBs throughout the whole game. It makes plenty of sense to have more investment in those positions. Hayward had 1 bad game outside. He played outside more than vs denver last year but nobody really noticed because he was playing well. We shouldn't have "just resigned him" no matter what. we should have just resigned him for what he got.

Hayward played 3rd most snaps on defense for us last year but yeah lets call him a 4th string CB. You know better than that. We are using at least 3 CB on basically every play and usually 4. Back up RB gets a series now and then. So hell yeah back up RB is less than a 4th string CB even though Casey was #3 at worst. How is that funny?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.