wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

No Fun League? Officials cut back on celebration penalties and all is well

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

Should Cobb been penalized for his snow angel? I thought they would.
UserPostedImage
sschind
7 years ago
I'm going to put on my fan glasses now and explain why the Cobb angel was OK but the Johnson one wasn't.

Cobb was running a pattern in the endzone that caused him to go to the ground while making the catch. You can CLEARLY see that as soon as he completed the catch he was attempting to get to his feet with the intention of starting his Lambeau leap. A celebration which CLEARLY should be the only TD celebration allowed in the NFL but that's a discussion for a different day. The slippery surface caused him to lose his footing again and he slid onto his back and his momentum CLEARY caused his arms and legs to naturally begin the motions of the snow angel and, in the heat of the moment he just finished a few more sweeps of his arms and legs. It was CLEARLY not an intended celebration. In fact I'm not even sure Cobb had any control over the motion at all. It is possible that the entire snow angel event was the result of his body's natural momentum which Randal had no control over. His team mates could CLEARLY be seen standing over him attempting to help him to his feet and in no way were encouraging him at all in his attempt, if in fact there was conscious attempt, at making a snow angel. You can see that as soon as Cobb regained control of his body he immediately jumped to his feet and ran off to do his aforementioned only acceptable celebration, the Lambeau leap. it was CLEARLY a spontaneous act if, like I said, it was a conscious act at all.

Whereas the Johnson snow angel CLEARLY went down like this. The morning of the game Dontae Johnson found out that the gametime weather forecast called for snow so he immediately took out his cell phone and googled "snow angel." Upon seeing how easy they were to do he immediately set upon a plan to make a snow angel should he by chance score a touchdown. He asked his team mates and they thought it was a wonderful idea and would be the perfect opportunity to rub salt in the Bears wounds as well as all the fans in Chicago and the NFL as a whole, with Roger Goodell in particular, and indeed the world as we know it. They immediately sat down to figure out a gameplan that would give them best opportunity to carry out their plan. They got together with the coaches and they all agreed that the best opportunity would come on a blocked punt so head coach Chip Kelly tasked special teams coordinator Derius Swinton with the job of scheming to get it done. When the 49ers punt return team was taking the field prior to the ill fated punt Swinton was seen pulling Johnson to the side and while no one is privy to the exact conversation that went on a lip reader sitting in the 5th row immediately behind the 49ers bench, who came forward on the condition of anonymity, has stated in a sworn affidavit that what Swinton said was "this is your chance Dontae, go out there and make this pathetic shit filled season mean something for all of us. It's all on you. Make us proud" I suppose they could have been talking about something else but C'mon man what else could it have been. When the punt was blocked and Johnson recovered it and started running towards the goal line several of his team mates can be CLEARLY heard yelling "don't forget the snow angel Dontae" and "Here comes the angel man" On the sidelines Swinton was heard telling Kelly "He's going to do it, he's going to make the snow angel" and Kelly replied "I can't wait to see old Roger's face when he sees this shit. It's really going to hit the fan now. Fuck him if he can't take a joke" Once Johnson crossed the goal line his team mates surrounded him and urged him on with chants of "Angel. Angel. Angel" and with that Dontae Johnson proceeded to do just that. If that is not a pre-planned team celebration I don't know what is.

Removing my fan glasses now
Porforis
7 years ago
I don't mind seeing people penalized for stupid 20 second celebrations, but it's a fucking snow angel. Let someone celebrate for 10 seconds.
The_Green_Ninja
7 years ago
If you have to stop, set up your celebration, coreograph it, and make sure you point to a camera, you might be going overboard.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
Players have just brought these types of rules onto themselves. When it got to a point where players where stashing props, it needed to be dialed back. Most of that was not celebration, it was them saying look at me. Cobb's was a spontaneous reaction to his situation. I don't even really like to see the Lambeau Leap when it doesn't happen right away smoothly.

The should start flagging DBs who celebrate when they are beat only to have the WR drop the ball or it be overthrown.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Porforis
7 years ago

Players have just brought these types of rules onto themselves. When it got to a point where players where stashing props, it needed to be dialed back. Most of that was not celebration, it was them saying look at me. Cobb's was a spontaneous reaction to his situation. I don't even really like to see the Lambeau Leap when it doesn't happen right away smoothly.

The should start flagging DBs who celebrate when they are beat only to have the WR drop the ball or it be overthrown.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Defensive stupidity. 5 yards?
mi_keys
7 years ago
Short of physically assaulting someone else on the field and maybe vulgarities, players should be free to celebrate however they like. If the celebration takes too long, maybe a delay of game penalty.

That said, I do very much appreciate players who act like they've been there before. Someone like a Barry Sanders who would just hand the ball back to the ref. That type of class means more when they aren't legislated to show it.

And I used to hate JerMichael Finley's 15 yard celebrations following a 5 yard catch.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Porforis
7 years ago

Short of physically assaulting someone else on the field and maybe vulgarities, players should be free to celebrate however they like. If the celebration takes too long, maybe a delay of game penalty.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

My fear is that every week would turn into a dance and prop competition and what little shell of football still remains would turn into a gaudy reality show where athletes compete in physical challenges for a chance to show off on the stage (endzone) in a useless talent show.
Cheesey
7 years ago
They should allow SOME celebration if they want. I do agree that some of it can go to the point of ridiculous though.
Cobb was on the ground already, so I believe that was why he wasn't penalized.
UserPostedImage
beast
7 years ago

I'm all for having a little fun, but it can't be every time you make a play, or long and drawn out or over thought... or clearly agreed on before hand with teammates.

I'm trying to remember who it was... was it Finley? ... for a while there someone was dancing for every single catch... and it was just annoying. Congrats... you caught it two yards short of a first down... you got 24 yards on the day... stop it and get back to the huddle.

Some of the team ones with the Steelers were clearly planned and long and drawn out... and the ones back in the day with Chad Johnson and Steve Smith were over thought and too long (though I have to admit, I loved the one of Smith in a paddle boat starting slowly and then suddenly being chased).

But simple short ones that happen at important moments or big plays... go for them!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.