wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

Dom Capers’ defense employed a few different strategies against the Giants’ passing attack. Let’s review. Most of America is aware of the week that Odell Beckham Jr.  just had. The New York media has had an absolute field day discussing an off-day boat trip, with opinions on his actions ranging all over the spectrum from ‘who cares’ to ‘time to grow up’. And that was just a Monday.
The following Sunday in the Wild Card game against the Green Bay Packers , Beckham managed to catch 4 of his 11 targets for just 28 yards with a pair of crucial drops, including one in the endzone. Taking his frustrations out on a locker room wall , then, since denied, an airplane , has increased the scrutiny on Beckham’s poor performance. While OBJ has said that the boat trip had no effect on his performance (and I agree), the media is all too eager to make the connection.
What goes unseen in all of this commotion is his final stat line; last Sunday marked the second-lowest single-game receiving yardage  of his career, in addition to the second lowest completion percentage (4 of 11, 36%) between him and Eli Manning  of his career.
Extra Nugget: The lowest completion percentage of his career came last year against the Patriots  (4 of 12, 33%).
Facing a poor Packers pass defense, managing only 28 yards is certainly a disappointing performance. Some want to include the statistics for his dropped catches, leading conversations of “if”’s and “but”’s; to them I say, if if’s and but’s were candies and nuts, we’d all have a merry Christmas. Don’t even think about trying to determine how the remainder of the game would have changed if Beckham had come down with those receptions; there is absolutely no way for anyone to tell, and you’re a fool if you think otherwise. With that in mind, let’s watch the game film to see a few different strategies employed by the Packers in order to contain a supreme receiving talent.
First drive strategy: Try it all, see what works
For most of the first drive, Capers employed a conservative strategy with basic cover 2 man and cover 2 zone looks. OBJ was targeted twice and had one reception, coming on a drag route against a cover 2 zone defense. The only changeup came on the last play of the drive, when the defense showed a cover 1 look with double a-gap pressure, but had Morgan Burnett  bail on his a-gap blitz and take the under coverage against Odell. Beckham actually ran a good whip route against the double coverage; as Burnett had began the play from a linebacker spot on the inside, his positioning was designed to take away any inside-breaking route, while Ha ha Clinton-Dix had the over coverage.

Beckham got himself open, but ended up dropping a very catchable pass from Manning.

Middle first quarter strategy: Cover 1
After the Giants  and Packers swapped punts, Green Bay, began to load the box with Mr. Do-It-All, Morgan Burnett. This left the Giants receivers with one-on-one coverage to the outside and the lone safety, Ha ha Clinton-Dix, in the middle of the field. The Green Bay defense had been bottling up the run well so far; the Giants first drive had 3 rushes for 4 yards, which led Ben McAdoo to throw the ball 7 straight times on the second drive. Defending the pass with 8 men in the box is a riskier strategy; removing the safety help over the top typically means an added rusher, but in turn puts a lot of pressure on your cornerbacks to win their one-on-one matchups. Unfortunately for Green Bay, the second-ranked Giants’ offensive line (according to Football Oustiders’ adjusted sack rate as of 1/2/2017 ) held up well and gave Eli Manning plenty of time to throw to his alarmingly open receivers. When a defense plays cover 1 and doesn’t apply pressure to the quarterback, they are playing with fire. Playing cover 1 against a receiver of OBJ’s talent is akin to bathing in gasoline and walking into the sun. You’re going to get burned. Watch the bottom of the video here.

Although Eli decided to throw to Sterling Shepard  here, he also had Beckham running open down the left sideline. The very next play, Manning reads cover 1 again, and delivers a floater to Beckham in the end zone.

The problem for the defense is compounded here by a nickelback blitz; Micah Hyde  comes in from Manning’s left, and Clinton-Dix steps up to cover his receiver. Morgan Burnett, who starts the play lined up on the top of the screen to disguise the coverage, has absolutely no chance to help out Ladarius Gunter on Beckham, who are paired up at the bottom of the screen.

The Giants offense had a perfect play called at the perfect time; fortunately for Green Bay, the sure-touchdown was dropped.
Late first quarter through third quarter strategy: Bracket coverage
Seeing the early successes of Beckham against single coverage, Green Bay began to bracket him. This is what I expected to see from the beginning; OBJ is New York’s engine on offense, and their already mediocre offense relies heavily upon him. Using the strong yet slower Gunter in the underneath coverage with Ha Ha Clinton-Dix  in the over coverage, Manning was forced to look away from his star receiver and find his second and third reads. Beckham is at the bottom of the screen.

You’ll see that Eli reads Clinton-Dix’s coverage, and once Manning identifies the bracket coverage, he goes to his second option underneath. Eventually, Manning decided to not even look Beckham’s way as he had been receiving extra attention on nearly every pass play.

The Giants offense did attempt to get OBJ going again on their first drive of the third quarter; four passes to Beckham led to a pair of catches for 15 yards. Capers, expecting McAdoo to think he would call more bracket coverage, mixed up the playcalling after halftime, with Beckham’s catches coming against a cover 2 zone and a cover 1 defense. The only other target Beckham would receive in the quarter would be against another bracket coverage, and the pass fell incomplete.
Fourth quarter strategy: Cover 2 man & zone
Having nullified OBJ for much of the game, the Green Bay staff had noticed that Beckham was not getting much attention from the New York Giants offense. That, combined with the 11-point lead the Packers had built, saw Dom Capers resort to a more conservative cover strategy for the remainder of the game. Instead of having a safety’s coverage focus solely on Beckham, each safety went back to playing a traditional deep zone, focusing on covering the deepest receiver in their area.
Up to this point, the Giants star receiver’s route tree had been fairly limited throughout the game; drag routes, go routes, quick outs and the occasional corner route. On the first play of the fourth quarter, however, Beckham ran a slant-go route; something we had not seen all game.
Against a cover 2 zone, the Giants run a ‘divide’ play, trying to get Beckham open in the deep middle. Initially, it looks as if OBJ is running a slant, while Will Tye  runs a corner route at the bottom of your screen, Tavarres King  runs a drag, and Sterling Shepard runs a go route at the top of your screen.

This draws the safeties to the outside to cover the deepest route runner, in turn leaving space in the deep middle. This play type ‘divides’ the defense, and a route runner will run against that divide. Instead of continuing the slant route, Beckham turns upfield and finds the seam in the safeties’ zones. Jake Ryan , smartly recognizing this, follows - as best as a middle linebacker can - with Beckham upfield.
There’s one problem here for the Giants; the play depends on the safeties biting to the outside, and Shepard doesn’t sell it well enough. Instead of committing to the play for its entirety, he pulls up early and cuts off his route. Clinton-Dix, the safety to his side of the field, due to his great starting positioning, sees this happening. At the same time, Ha Ha sees Beckham turning his route upfield and slides back over the middle to help breakup the pass.

Beckham’s last target of the game, another incompletion, would come on the very next play with 14:52 remaining in the fourth quarter, putting an end to a forgettable afternoon for the superstar wide receiver. Having a better knowledge of the strategies employed, it’ll be interesting to see how Dom Capers decides to treat Dez Bryant  next week against the Dallas Cowboys .
If there are other plays, players or schemes you would like to see covered by Bob in his film breakdowns, leave a comment below!

[/URL]      

Continue Reading @ [url=http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/1/12/14247088/why-it-worked-wild-card-round-packers-giants-containing-odell-beckham-jr]Bob Fitch 

Bob Fitch wrote:

It is a bit unsettling to see just how many Giants receivers are open on these plays. Poor execution on NYG's part saved the day as often as solid play by GB defenders.

Go to their page to see the video.
UserPostedImage
beast
7 years ago

It is a bit unsettling to see just how many Giants receivers are open on these plays. Poor execution on NYG's part saved the day as often as solid play by GB defenders.

Go to their page to see the video.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I was screaming when they went to single high man coverage in the second drive. .. that was completely stupid (I thought then)... but later Capers used it to fake Eli with a fake man coverage that was really zone... two weeks in a row now Capers has tricked a vet QB to throw a pass direct to the defense... of course they dropped it on both accounts but still. .. if he can trick a vet, then maybe he can trick a rookie who is playing like a vet.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
7 years ago

I was screaming when they went to single high man coverage in the second drive. .. that was completely stupid (I thought then)... but later Capers used it to fake Eli with a fake man coverage that was really zone... two weeks in a row now Capers has tricked a vet QB to throw a pass direct to the defense... of course they dropped it on both accounts but still. .. if he can trick a vet, then maybe he can trick a rookie who is playing like a vet.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I thought the cold played a big roll in things - there wont be any of that in dallas ... we will have to be on the top of our game and they will need to be also.
luigis
7 years ago
Beckham contained himself.
If he catches 2 of his 4 drops he ends with 100+ yards and 1 or 2 TDs.
Luis
Dulak
7 years ago
Now I cant remember if it was gunters play or other corners play but I didnt find them that ... great ... I saw a guy chasing the receiver around and not turning around basically trying to catch up to the receiver and trying to batt at the hands when he tried to catch it without turning around ... I think he got lucky (again cant remember whom and what plays I just recall this happening a few times).

IMO the only decent coverage guy we have was shields - he kept up with receivers and often turned to face the incoming ball and went for the disruption. Williams got better with time and would do that and of course woodson was a pro - so was my man al harris. The guys we got right now are ... ok. Maybe I just got spoiled watching woodson work. ya hed get beat and he was getting old but was great to see him pick off those QBs.

nerdmann
7 years ago
Gunter was ballin.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (15h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (20h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.