nerdmann
7 years ago

"Drew it up in the dirt" as the kids say. Aaron Rodgers  garnered deserved acclaim for his brilliant pass to Jared Cook  on the final drive of Sunday's NFC divisional-round game, a throw that saved the Green Bay Packers  from overtime. As it turns out, the quarterback also deserves credit for the play call.
After the game, wide receiver Randall Cobb  told the MMQBs' Robert Klemko  that Rodgers drew up the play in the huddle moments before.
On third-and-20 with 12 seconds, Rodgers rolled out to his left to buy time until his targets found openings. After more than five seconds, he found Cook open along the boundary deep in Dallas Cowboys  territory. Rodgers uncorked one of his best throws of the night, and the tight end hauled it in with mere centimeters between his feed and the sideline.

FACT: It doesn't get any better than this Jared Cook sideline grab.C-L-U-T-C-H. #GoPackGo  #GBvsDAL  #NFLPlayoffs  https://t.co/N66Ir6sctr — NFL (@NFL) January 16, 2017 

While the play didn't appear "playground" on the live broadcast, three Green Bay receivers finish the play near Cook. Rodgers wanted a sideline catch from the start, a reasonable objective given the limited time remaining but a difficult pass to complete in practice.
Of course, Rodgers has made incredible plays his entire career, including a Hail Mary just a week ago. That explains why the Packers receivers don't consider these moments ridiculous, they think of them as "magic ."

Jason B. Hirschhorn is an award-winning journalist and Pro Football Writers of America member. He covers the NFL for Sports on Earth and SB Nation. He also serves as the senior writer and editor for Acme Packing Company, a Green Bay Packers blog.

[URL=https://twitter.com/by_JBH" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false" data-size="large]Follow @by_JBH[/URL]

[/URL]      

Continue Reading @ [url=http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/1/15/14282296/packers-cowboys-aaron-rodgers-drew-up-critical-play-to-jared-cook-in-the-huddle-nfl-playoffs]Jason B. Hirschhorn 

Jason B. Hirschhorn wrote:

Dunno if I believe this. But he does tend to go sandlot at times.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
7 years ago

Dunno if I believe this. But he does tend to go sandlot at times.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I believe it... I'm not sure Rodgers knew he was going to target Cook or not, but Rodgers seems more comfortable out of the pocket and he had scrambled out of the pocket to the right so often the Cowboys were expecting it... so I believe Rodgers purposely had a scramble to his left called to trick the pass rush, and told all the targets to go to different routes to the left, giving him maximum number of potential targets and he would just nail whom ever he thought was best open, and that happened to be Cook.

That's just my guess... they might not have a play call for that.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
7 years ago

I believe it... I'm not sure Rodgers knew he was going to target Cook or not, but Rodgers seems more comfortable out of the pocket and he had scrambled out of the pocket to the right so often the Cowboys were expecting it... so I believe Rodgers purposely had a scramble to his left called to trick the pass rush, and told all the targets to go to different routes to the left, giving him maximum number of potential targets and he would just nail whom ever he thought was best open, and that happened to be Cook.

That's just my guess... they might not have a play call for that.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Guaranteed they have sideline routes in a 2 minute drill. This particular play needed at least 35 yards, though so they may have decided to run it to that distance.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
7 years ago

Guaranteed they have sideline routes in a 2 minute drill. This particular play needed at least 35 yards, though so they may have decided to run it to that distance.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yes of course they have sideline routes, but do they have plays where all 5 guys run towards the same sideline 25 to 40 yards down feild? I think Rodgers set them up so that all 5 routes would go left deep down the field as he rolled left...which they may not have in the play book.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
I believe it. Aaron said "things tend to get a little school yard at end of games" while talking with Erin Andrews if memory serves. That would back up this story that doesn't need any backup.

Loved hearing the Cowboys post game guy repeatedly bringing up that that was the greatest toe drag in NFL history.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
7 years ago

Loved hearing the Cowboys post game guy repeatedly bringing up that that was the greatest toe drag in NFL history.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

HA! Now that's funny, as it might not be the best toe drag of the game...
Cobb had a better toe drag earlier in the game (not as important but better completed)
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago

HA! Now that's funny, as it might not be the best toe drag of the game...
Cobb had a better toe drag earlier in the game (not as important but better completed)

Originally Posted by: beast 

Oops. I left out the...By a TE part. Cobb's was fantastic, also.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DarkaneRules
7 years ago
Vets stepped up at critical times and Ty was a unsung hero on quite a few plays. Team win. Victory Monday!!!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
sschind
7 years ago
I could swear I saw him in the huddle moving his hands around like "you go here, you do this, you run like this..."
TheKanataThrilla
7 years ago
I believe it was reported that they are working towards a long term deal with Cook. I sure hope how working with Rodgers and being treated as a huge part of this offense means this deal will get done. He has made a huge difference to this team since returning from injury.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.