wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago

Burnett has 9 ints in 7 years with us. Hayward had 7 picks this year for SD. Burnett is far from a sure thing when it comes to plucking them out of the air. Brice should've had that one for sure but not so sure Burnett would've been there or caught it, either.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

You don't really mean to compare a CB who is covering a WR on every single play with a SS who might cover a receiver 1/2 of the time. Many of those plays he is the deep cover option. Even then QBs won't throw into double coverage.
Burnett may not be great at Int but his opportunities are a lot less.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

You don't really mean to compare a CB who is covering a WR on every single play with a SS who might cover a receiver 1/2 of the time. Many of those plays he is the deep cover option. Even then QBs won't throw into double coverage.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

THANK YOU!!! Let's not mention the plethora of snaps that Burnett has taken at ILB as well. Hey, I love me some stats, but you gotta have some kind of baseline.

I've always seen cornerbacks more apt to be one on one with WR or or take the underneath with a Safety providing help over the top.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
7 years ago

I really don't like Morgan Burnett, I think he would be a backup in most teams in the NFL.
So if he can't go then Brice is fine to me, the kid has lapses but he plays with heart and hits hard.

I understand that Burnett does many "invisible" things and is allegedly a key part of our defense, but the truth is that the defense is not really stellar with him, he rarely makes an impact play and HaHa is playing bad because of him.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

We saw a stark difference in defensive performance before and after Burnett's exit in Dallas.

In 2016 GB defense gave up 364 YPG; in the game Burnett missed [Det wk 3] we gave up 418 YPG
In 2015 GB gave up 347 YPG; in the 5 games Burnett missed [Wk, 1,3,4,5,6] we gave up 368 YPG [And this was when the offense was better].
In 2014 GB gave up 346 YPG; in the game he missed [NO, week 8] we gave up 495 [NO's offense is an outlier, but not by 150 yards].

I think this is a case where the stats reflect reality; Burnett is important.

Good news: There is a zero % chance that Burnett does not play in Atlanta.

Now luigis, ya know I love ya; you have great football acumen; but your critical view of our safeties makes me wonder if there is something in your past. 😂 Stabbed by too many "safety" pins as a baby? Your WR career cut short because you were "Briced" by a safety on a shallow cross? Tell us!😁 😁
steveishere
7 years ago
I love Brice's potential but he looks like he's really lost out there sometimes which is completely understandable. Exciting guy though, hopefully he can develop into something special. He reminds me of what I used to say about Desmond Bishop - when they hit somebody they stay hit. If Brice can get to where he's able to read the play and get to the ball quickly he's going to stop a lot of plays.
uffda udfa
7 years ago

Burnett may not be great at Int but his opportunities are a lot less.

Fair enough. I then offer Ha Ha who has 8 picks in his first 3 years. Morgan has 1 more pick in 4 additional seasons.

The illustration was given to indicate Morgan isn't some sure thing on INTs.

This piece sums up Morgan Burnett...

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-morgan-burnett-not-living-up-to-his-billing-b99148358z1-233187351.html 

MB is AJ Hawk. Definition of average. Brice has so much more upside it's sick but he's not close to reaching it. Brice will make a lot of plays Morgan could only dream of. Sadly, Brice also makes a lot of plays like Jerron McMillian.

You don't want the rook getting roasted by Ryan and then Ben or Brady if we advance. Gimme the average guy here who knows what he's doing because Brice is going to be exploited by the QBs left.

Brice was the most exciting player from this draft class by far and he's an afterthought UDFA. I think he has the best chance of being a real difference maker.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
7 years ago

Kentrell Brice has rare speed (4.44 in 40) for a Safety and a knack for the big hit. Do you feel comfortable with Brice filling in for Morgan Burnett?

Originally Posted by: MintBaconDrivel 

I feel comfortable with Brice filling in for a little while, like when Burnett goes to coverage LB... but I don't think we want Brice in the whole time because it looks like he's still needs fine tuning with some things in coverage. But with the Falcons passing attack we might want as many DBs on the field as possible (if we can stop their running game with them).

On a side note, (since we're on the subject of UDFA DBs) I found it interesting CB Hawkins finished the Cowboys game... who did they take out, to put Hawkins in?

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago

I feel comfortable with Brice filling in for a little while, like when Burnett goes to coverage LB... but I don't think we want Brice in the whole time because it looks like he's still needs fine tuning with some things in coverage. But with the Falcons passing attack we might want as many DBs on the field as possible (if we can stop their running game with them).

On a side note, (since we're on the subject of UDFA DBs) I found it interesting CB Hawkins finished the Cowboys game... who did they take out, to put Hawkins in?

Originally Posted by: beast 

If we played all that nickel vs. Dallas surely were going to at least do that if not put even more DBs on the field. Brice is much more of an asset up close to the LOS. Having BOTH on the field in hybrid roles would help guard against Freeman and Coleman.

One other thing. Brice looked like a dynamic natural blitzer ala Woodson in college. Would love to see Dom turn him loose in that capacity as a wrinkle.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
7 years ago

Maybe they can bring Woodson into TC next year to work with the DBs.

Maybe they could bring him in to play S for a couple games if Burnett has to be out.

I like Brice, but he's still a rookie. He has the skills for that hybrid S/ILB position. Definitely has speed to cover TEs/RBs.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
7 years ago
I just don't know what to think of Brice yet.
I think we're better with Burnett but hopefully some day....
luigis
7 years ago

We saw a stark difference in defensive performance before and after Burnett's exit in Dallas.

In 2016 GB defense gave up 364 YPG; in the game Burnett missed [Det wk 3] we gave up 418 YPG
In 2015 GB gave up 347 YPG; in the 5 games Burnett missed [Wk, 1,3,4,5,6] we gave up 368 YPG [And this was when the offense was better].
In 2014 GB gave up 346 YPG; in the game he missed [NO, week 8] we gave up 495 [NO's offense is an outlier, but not by 150 yards].

I think this is a case where the stats reflect reality; Burnett is important.

Good news: There is a zero % chance that Burnett does not play in Atlanta.

Now luigis, ya know I love ya; you have great football acumen; but your critical view of our safeties makes me wonder if there is something in your past. 😂 Stabbed by too many "safety" pins as a baby? Your WR career cut short because you were "Briced" by a safety on a shallow cross? Tell us!😁 😁

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

The stats don't lie, our defense does play better with Burnett.
I still don't like him.
I know I'm very critical with our safeties I think it is a very important position in the NFL, I concede they are better than MD Jennings 😁 .
I like the duo of HaHa and Brice if and only if you can convince me that HaHa will not play to hunt ints while trying to avoid contact.

Luis
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.