uffda udfa
7 years ago
I would say Jordy Nelson is vastly superior in being able to contort his body to make a catch.

Davante is able to catch disappearing balls. The ones Rodgers throws that leave you wondering what happened for a second because there is no separation. Those catches in traffic are a group wide trait. Even high times Geronimo has made those kind of catches.

I used to ask all the time what is a or the trait Davante possesses that makes him desirable? I'm still not sure what that is. Perhaps, his strength? Barfarn seemed to indicate it was body control which Z has pointed to or the ability to set up the DB to get by him. I don't see all 22 so not sure if that's his calling card or not.

Ultimately, his perception is benefited greatly by literally being the worst WR in the NFL last season. Kind of the same reason we think we have good ILBs now... They've been so terrible that average looks good in comparison.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
7 years ago

You said in two separate posts:
You even posted an explanation for why speed would be negatively correlated:

Why should I care about the SXCH ratings?

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

I'll try one more time. I’ll teach you something here!

The argument: Speed is unequivocally a positive trait for WR. But amongst top 10 WRs as rated by Sports Exchange; the fastest WRs are not as good as the slowest. Hence, speed as a trait is given too much importance when rating WR prospects.

Your argument cant be directly addressed because it is replete with every logic error known to man several times over.

The Sports Exchange is the best predictor of draft position and they use the best measure of 40 time [not necessarily the fastest or electronic]. If you disagree, educate yourself, look at the top 10 WRs, they rarely miss, if they do it’s not by so much and sometimes they’re right when they “missed.”

Why'd I use the sample I did? Because top 10 over 6 years is much better than using top 60 one year or WRs rated 40-50 over 6 years. You want a bigger sample size...the world is your effing oyster.

If you cant see that the faster guys are not as good as slower guys, you just need to educate yourself, develop your own criteria. The football gods helps those that help themselves.

A Barfarn teaching moment: When testing to see if a coin is weighted is flips enough? If you say no, YOU ARE WRONG! I’ll show you later.

Are 20 flips of coin enough to tell if a coin is weighted? The correct answer is: IT DEPENDS ON THE RESULT!!!! If the coin lands on, EG, heads 11 times out of 20; this is evidence that the coin is weighed to heads. It is very weak evidence; and more flips of the coin must be made to strengthen the evidence; yet, to say this is “nothing” is not scholarly. But, one who asserts the coin is weighted to heads because it landed on head 19 or 20 times out of 20; has very strong evidence to support his hypothesis.

Now back to the 2 flips! If one flips the coin twice and it lands on its edge; that is sufficient data to determine that coins is weighted to land on its edge because the actual result deviates so drastically from the expected result.

By demonstrating the top 3 slowEST are better than the top 3 fastEST [this is significant, often .2, sometimes .3, seconds] of the sample size of 60 WRs provided statistically significant results to establish the forego hypotheses that speed is overrated.

I used to ask all the time what is a or the trait Davante possesses that makes him desirable? I'm still not sure what that is. Perhaps, his strength? Barfarn seemed to indicate it was body control which Z has pointed to or the ability to set up the DB to get by him. I don't see all 22 so not sure if that's his calling card or not.
Ultimately, his perception is benefited greatly by literally being the worst WR in the NFL last season.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Think Nerd correctly said Body control. I speak of his strong route running and separation abilities.

He was not the worst receiver last year; he was below average. He is not a pro bowl receiver this year, he simply took the next naturally progressing 3rd year step in reading and reacting to the D. If he keeps progressing he’ll be unstoppable.

You don't need all 22; 90% of his moves are in the screen.
mi_keys
7 years ago

I'll try one more time. I’ll teach you something here!

The argument: Speed is unequivocally a positive trait for WR.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

That me be what you actually believe but that isn't what you said and that isn't what I responded to.

But amongst top 10 WRs as rated by Sports Exchange; the fastest WRs are not as good as the slowest. Hence, speed as a trait is given too much importance when rating WR prospects.

Are they not? You never showed they were not as good. You never addressed the mediocre to shit players in the slowest list that I mentioned nor did you address the elite players in the fastest list. Both lists had quite a range of players.

Your argument cant be directly addressed because it is replete with every logic error known to man several times over.

I'd love to hear you cite them.

The Sports Exchange is the best predictor of draft position and they use the best measure of 40 time [not necessarily the fastest or electronic].

As measured by whom and compared to whom?

If you disagree, educate yourself, look at the top 10 WRs, they rarely miss, if they do it’s not by so much and sometimes they’re right when they “missed.”

Already told you I didn't know who they are so why would I have an opinion on how right or wrong they are?

Why'd I use the sample I did? Because top 10 over 6 years is much better than using top 60 one year or WRs rated 40-50 over 6 years. You want a bigger sample size...the world is your effing oyster.

Do you understand the problems with non-random sampling? Taking only the top 10 is not a representative sample of the class of receivers as a whole. If you don't understand the problems of sampling bias or non-random sampling, you don't understand basic statistics.

If you cant see that the faster guys are not as good as slower guys, you just need to educate yourself, develop your own criteria. The football gods helps those that help themselves.

I listed several examples in which the receivers of the fastest group were among the best in the league or are the best in the league. I listed several examples in which the receivers in the slowest group were complete no-names. Both sets were a mixed bag. But you never addressed those examples.

A Barfarn teaching moment: When testing to see if a coin is weighted is flips enough? If you say no, YOU ARE WRONG! I’ll show you later.

A loosely related analogy that doesn't prove your point? Oh boy, I can't wait!

Are 20 flips of coin enough to tell if a coin is weighted? The correct answer is: IT DEPENDS ON THE RESULT!!!! If the coin lands on, EG, heads 11 times out of 20; this is evidence that the coin is weighed to heads. It is very weak evidence; and more flips of the coin must be made to strengthen the evidence; yet, to say this is “nothing” is not scholarly. But, one who asserts the coin is weighted to heads because it landed on head 19 or 20 times out of 20; has very strong evidence to support his hypothesis.

Now back to the 2 flips! If one flips the coin twice and it lands on its edge; that is sufficient data to determine that coins is weighted to land on its edge because the actual result deviates so drastically from the expected result.

And you think the small, non-random sample you pulled in which you did no demonstrate one set was better than the other represents two coin flips both landing on their edge? Sure thing, mate.

By demonstrating the top 3 slowEST are better than the top 3 fastEST [this is significant, often .2, sometimes .3, seconds] of the sample size of 60 WRs provided statistically significant results to establish the forego hypotheses that speed is overrated.

You never demonstrated clearly that the 3 slowEST are better than the 3 fastEST. You haven't addressed the issue of non-random sampling. You can dismiss the concerns with sampling size all you want, it doesn't make them any less valid. Aside from an answer about the Sports Xchange, you addressed just about none of the concerns with your methodology.
Born and bred a cheesehead
uffda udfa
7 years ago
I didn't quote Barfarn saying Davante wasn't the worst WR last year. I posted this many times last off season. It always depends on what stat measure you use but he was 2nd to last in a rating that iirc is similar to QB ratings. Considering Davante wasn't our 4th or 5th WR last year I can confidently say he was the worst starting WR in the NFL which is not what I previously stated. However, when you're second to dead last I took the liberty of calling him the worst based on him being our #1.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
7 years ago
Special.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
Check who #31 is for Dallas and the kind of season he had. He makes Demetri Goodson look like Deion Sanders.
UserPostedImage

steveishere
7 years ago
Davante has gotten really good this year at beating press and overcoming physical play by DBs near the line which is important for his development because he'll never be a burner. Don't think he'll ever be what prime Jordy was for us but he's definitely going to be responsible for some big plays for our offense.
Porforis
7 years ago

Davante has gotten really good this year at beating press and overcoming physical play by DBs near the line which is important for his development because he'll never be a burner. Don't think he'll ever be what prime Jordy was for us but he's definitely going to be responsible for some big plays for our offense.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

So hopefully a James Jones?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.