uffda udfa
7 years ago
http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/20/green-bay-packers-bob-mcginn 

--- Nobody better in Packers media.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

luigis
7 years ago
The same Bob McGin that wrote "the Packers can win without Rodgers", because we had Seneca Wallace.
😂 😂 😂

Luis
uffda udfa
7 years ago

The same Bob McGin that wrote "the Packers can win without Rodgers", because we had Seneca Wallace.
😂 😂 😂

Originally Posted by: luigis 

Ha ha. It must have killed him to write that as he doesn't like Ted. Read the piece and you'll find out why.

I remember reading that article. Bob said they'd make the playoffs without Rodgers. That team did make the playoffs only because Aaron was back. Bob wrongly assumed the Packers had Seneca and Scott prepared like other guys at many other positions. Seneca was an absolute joke.

One wrong opinion trivializes his 33 years? People say I'm over the top.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
7 years ago

Ha ha. It must have killed him to write that as he doesn't like Ted. Read the piece and you'll find out why.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I did a search, "thompson" is not in the article. Why doesn't he like Ted?

If you believe McGinn operates with Journalistic integrity; how can you know he dislikes someone through his reporting; and why would you think the truth would be so hard for him to write about?

These 2 things in the article identify McGinn; he's a classless disgrace.

"Pat [His wife] mistook her fungal infection medication for her contact solution and needed a ride to the emergency room after she burned her cornea. McGinn dropped her off but had her take a cab home so he could cover a game." She has one eye and is vulnerable to being attacked and vulnerable to injury due to problems with depth perception. Plus, this is a time to care for your bride. For some marriage is a one way deal.

"“Boy, there were a lot of players who hated me,” he says, chuckling [Emphasis added]."

Even legitimate criticism of a player, coach or front office can cause animosity. A negative article tampers with livelihoods and can cause suffering, feelings of humiliation or injury. And surely, at least one of his criticisms were unfair. How much of a sociopath does one need to be to"chuckle" about human suffering he has inflicted, even if justified?
uffda udfa
7 years ago
It's hysterical, yet, typical that you didn't and most likely most people chose not to read this piece but have their "informed" opinion of McGinn.

Here's why he doesn't like Ted:

No one helped him more than the late Dick Corrick, who ran the Packers’ draft operations for years, or Ron Wolf, the general manager who always called back and never held a grudge.

---It's easy to infer that Ted Thompson never calls back and holds a grudge. He had a great relationship with Wolf and undoubtedly felt that is how a GM should be. It's a publicly owned team, and the GM SHOULD be available. Ted is anything but available. I have no proof of the grudge but I think it's easy to infer but I'm fine with you saying there's no proof because there isn't any. There is plenty of proof that Ted is almost wholly unavailable. I'm sure Bob thinks Ted is pretty pathetic and rightfully so. Ted doesn't understand his role is not just the football side. There is a public responsibility that he completely hides from. Ted never helped Bob and Ron was always willing to do so. Ron was a man's man. Ted is a weirdo. I'm sorry but he is.

As for Bob and the story with his wife. I found that deplorable. His wife is far more important than a stupid game. I'm sure his actions that day trivialized their marriage in her mind and contributes to esteem issues. I think most men think it's some badge of honor to be that committed to their careers. I don't.

Once again you've made an egregious error in leaping to another bad conclusion. McGinn laughing about all the players who hated him has nothing to do with inflicting pain or enjoying ruining anyone's livelihood. It's just funny that he can write a piece about football objectively so and have people wanting to kill him because he refuses to do what is the expectation today...kiss the players arses. Bob didn't do that. That is why I respect him above everyone else. Our fan base is accustomed to having it's ears tickled. That is why Bob is hated by the fan base. He doesn't give our fanbase the sweet cream they're used to being spoon fed by the rest of the media. Bob could never work for a shill site like Packers.com. He would be handcuffed and unable to do his job correctly. I worked in media with some big people. I know how the game works. Bob is to be admired. He doesn't purposely write nasty pieces. He writes what he believes and people hate him for it. You and I can relate to that. Haters gonna hate. I'm sure you laugh at the posters here whose cages you rattle. Oh, you awful man for taking the joy away from someone who is experiencing it from watching a game on TV. There is nothing more evil than telling someone the truth that saps their misguided joy from watching a game on television! EVIL!

Bob is one of the few remaining of his kind. Ever wonder why you don't see guys like Skip Bayless in NFL locker rooms? I once worked with Jay Mariotti. That guy was reviled. He couldn't go in locker rooms anymore. Guys wanted to beat his a$$. He wrote some very tough pieces but he believed what he was writing. I think he may have gone a bit too far sometimes but the point is there are so many suckling the teet of the teams they cover that they offer nothing of substance. NOTHING. When you go to buy a car would you rather have someone telling you all the great things about it while leaving out the rest of the story, like all the negatives to it? Some don't want the truth because the truth to them is negative. Let's live in fantasy land where we only hear good things even if we have to pretend there's no bad things to pull it off. Bob tells the whole story. He writes good and bad things. He doesn't like Ted and I think that is wholly justifiable. If you had to do your job and you wanted access and Ted never gave it and Ron always was willing how do you think you'd feel about Ted? Just like Bob does but don't let your lack of understanding or pretending get in the way of reality.
UserPostedImage

beast
7 years ago
Thompson doesn't like the media because they inform other team's of things (which isn't good in Thompson line of work).

McGinn doesn't like Thompson because he was best friends with Mike Sherman and Mike Sherman blamed Ted Thompson for taking the GM position away from him, and Favre blamed him for drafting another QB, and it was all down hill from there.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago

Thompson doesn't like the media because they inform other team's of things (which isn't good in Thompson line of work).

McGinn doesn't like Thompson because he was best friends with Mike Sherman and Mike Sherman blamed Ted Thompson for taking the GM position away from him, and Favre blamed him for drafting another QB, and it was all down hill from there.

Originally Posted by: beast 

You say it's ME who makes things up? This is as bad as u complaining about what I said about a game I wasn't even on the forum to talk about.

Yeah. McGinn and Sherman were really good friends. Lol.

PACKERS; PACKERS FIRE MIKE SHERMAN; Time was right to wield ax
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The, Jan 3, 2006 by BOB MCGINN

Green Bay The Green Bay Packers had been growing staid, stodgy and stale for the better part of three seasons. Under coach Mike Sherman, they were going nowhere fast. His usefulness to the organization had run its course.

Ted Thompson watched from arm's length for almost 12 months. He handed Sherman his two-year, $6.4 million extension in late August simply to give the proud coach a fighting chance to lead his players. Then he closed his mouth and let Sherman sign his own walking papers.

Given the same uneven deck Sherman was dealt this season, it's conceivable the Packers could perform no better next season and maybe get worse. But even though Sherman did post a 59-43 record in six seasons, the Packers are better off with fresh blood, new voices and a different approach.

Whether Thompson can deliver a more effective coach than Sherman remains to be seen. It will be a highly competitive job market, and the Packers probably will start finding out in the near future that they're not nearly as attractive as they might think.

Sherman possessed superior organizational skills, an insatiable appetite for work and a keen appreciation for the history of the franchise. He really wanted to be here, too, a critical and often overlooked part of the Green Bay equation. In fact, in December 2001, he said the Packers would be his last job in coaching.

Unfortunately for Sherman, team president Bob Harlan allowed Ron Wolf to select his successor as general manager when Sherman had no qualifications. One NFL personnel man and a close friend of Wolf's insists to this day that the main reason why Wolf recommended Sherman for the dual role was he knew Sherman lacked the acuity ever to challenge the legendary record that he etched in Packers lore.

Sherman was eminently unqualified to run a personnel department, but the man did give it his all. In September 2002, Sports Illustrated ranked Sherman No. 2 among the NFL's 32 head coaches and the power that they wielded. A year or so later, Sherman stopped to consider the football empire he had humming under his detailed direction in posh new surroundings and told me he and his people could be running Ford Motor Co.

His self-confidence grew to such an extent that he wanted to make every decision himself. That's when some of his closest advisors began to feel they weren't even necessary. That's why the team's second-level scouts were shut out of the draft room in the week before the 2004 draft. And it was a significant reason why Ray Sherman and Johnny Roland, two capable career NFL assistants, bolted Green Bay a year ago to make lateral moves into losing situations.

Three years into his tenure, the Packers were plus-24 in turnover differential. They generally were playing a smart, disciplined brand of football.

The coaching of Sherman, offensive coordinator Tom Rossley and quarterbacks coach Darrell Bevell must be credited to some extent for why Brett Favre had merely four interceptions in the first nine games of 2002. It was one of the most brilliant stretches of his career. As it turned out, it was too good to be true.

Right before our eyes, the Packers gradually went from being a well-drilled outfit to a sloppy one. This was the team Thompson reviewed on tape from 2004 and the team he silently watched from his press-box seat in '05.

The Packers turned the ball over 106 times from 2003-'05, a total surpassed only by the St. Louis Rams with 115. It reached a crescendo this season when the Packers committed 45 turnovers.

As much as Favre deserves credit for Sherman's four playoff appearances with his good play, he also deserves blame for his four playoff defeats with his poor play. At some point, Sherman and his offensive coaches lost control of their quarterback. In some ways, all their kid-gloves treatment of Favre got them was fired.

"When you turn the ball over that is bad football," said Larry Beightol, Sherman's offensive line coach. "But nobody has harped on (turnovers) more than Mike Sherman. Nobody. He has coached the coaches. He has coached the players. But this will get you every time. You can't throw into double coverage."

Despite all of that, Sherman was a good enough tactician and overall football coach to lead the Packers to the brink of a Super Bowl appearance in '03. The Packers were injury-free and beginning to feel like children of destiny in the wake of Favre's unforgettable performance in Oakland less than 24 hours after the death of his father.

Then came the wounded Eagles in Philadelphia. With an aging quarterback and Wolf's personnel pipeline beginning to dry up, this was the best chance Sherman ever would have in Green Bay.

All everyone wants to remember about that game is fourth and 26. What everyone should remember is the fourth and 1 and how, if handled properly, there never would have been a fourth and 26.

No Packers fan will ever forget what happened. Sherman put the game into the hands of his punter and defense instead of all-pro running back Ahman Green and the prized offensive line.
UserPostedImage

uffda udfa
7 years ago
I just shake my head at the fluff we get outside of McGinn. Aaron's good buddy whom he hosted a radio show with, Jason Wilde:

Nobody would ever accuse Bob of the above. People hate him for being how he is (objective) but have no problem with cheerleaders like Wilde.
UserPostedImage

beast
7 years ago

You say it's ME who makes things up? This is as bad as u complaining about what I said about a game I wasn't even on the forum to talk about.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I got which Bears game wrong... but that doesn't stop the fact you BITCHED more about the Packers beating the Bears than most Bears fan did... it was a disgrace for fans everywhere...

And I'm not making the McGinn/Sherman bromance up... once Sherman got into the GM role, McGinn and his co-workers started figuring out who the Packers were going to target in the first round a week before the draft... it was noted by fans in GB that McGinn and Sherman would have dinners together, and some how extra information (like the draft stuff) got to McGinn and his co-workers ahead of time.

Which suddenly stopped when Sherman got removed from his GM role... and suddenly that paper which had been claiming to be draft experts over the last couple of draft, suddenly completely sucked at predicting any pick.

Also for the gutting that Thompson did... wasn't it basically just the OGs and Safeties? The OGs were almost physically done and taking up a huge amount of draft space. Sharper went to the Vikings and made plays, but he also was earning a big contract and went onto drugging/raping a lot of women... and I don't think the other S did much after the Packers, and he demanded his release... Ted Thompson wasn't going to release him until he started demanding it.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago

I got which Bears game wrong... but that doesn't stop the fact you BITCHED more about the Packers beating the Bears than most Bears fan did... it was a disgrace for fans everywhere...

And I'm not making the McGinn/Sherman bromance up... once Sherman got into the GM role, McGinn and his co-workers started figuring out who the Packers were going to target in the first round a week before the draft... it was noted by fans in GB that McGinn and Sherman would have dinners together, and some how extra information (like the draft stuff) got to McGinn and his co-workers ahead of time.

Which suddenly stopped when Sherman got removed from his GM role... and suddenly that paper which had been claiming to be draft experts over the last couple of draft, suddenly completely sucked at predicting any pick.

Also for the gutting that Thompson did... wasn't it basically just the OGs and Safeties? The OGs were almost physically done and taking up a huge amount of draft space. Sharper went to the Vikings and made plays, but he also was earning a big contract and went onto drugging/raping a lot of women... and I don't think the other S did much after the Packers, and he demanded his release... Ted Thompson wasn't going to release him until he started demanding it.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Winning is nice. Looking like a team that can win it all is preferred. Being critical in winning is necessary to become better and a team that can win it all.

I've no regrets for the fault I've found in some Packers victories. It really isn't fair for us to debate each other. I'm looking for higher things while you're just content with a W.

IE: Let's say Atlanta still had Michael Turner. Suppose he gashed us for a buck fifty on less than 20 carries and we have to face Blount the next game. Let's say we beat ATL in a tight one. Sure, I'll be happy the Packers won but concerned about them stopping Blount because if they don't do better vs him we'll lose. Want to see a team that can win it all. Beating the Bears ugly is nothing to get fired up about. Just like winning the NFCN.
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.