Zero2Cool
7 years ago
Saturday night I had to force myself to sleep early because of how excited I was. Sunday, I was so excited (and nervous) I was pacing back and forth in the shower. The game started and Falcons drove down and scored. This was expected. Falcons script their first two drives better than anyone in the NFL. Mason Crosby missed a very make-able (my opinion) field goal. Falcons drive down and get 3 points on that short field. Packers drive down and Aaron Ripkowski fumbles (BTW, this was a great play by Falcons more than it was a bad play by Ripkowski) short of the goal line. I knew then this was not going to end our way and began the "acceptance" stage of defeat while still hoping for a miracle.

The game is over, the season is over and I say this sucks. This fucking sucks!

I read a lot of football and watch a lot of football (probably too much to be fair) and I've seen a few fans calling the Packers season a failure if it were to end without a Super Bowl ring. That's absurd and unreasonable, but I get it. It's just the Packers season was not a failure. It was exciting and did not end how we wanted. That happens for 31 teams every single year. This team played way above its talent and overachieved. Teams like (to name a few) the 49ers, Rams, Jaguars, Bears , Jets had failure seasons.

The Packers lost their best cover corner, Sam Shields. They lost their best running back, Eddie Lacy. They lost their 2nd and 3rd best corners. They had their 2nd best receiver dinged up most of the season. They had a quarterback who battled hamstring and calf injuries. The best running back on the team came into the season as a receiver. The big free agent signing tight end missed a good deal of the season. They finished the season with the best cover corner being someone who wasn't even drafted.

It goes on an on and quite frankly it's sickening how unfortunate the Packers were, but hey other teams had injuries too. It's not an excuse.

The season was pretty damn awesome. We humiliated the Seahawks. We beat the Cowboys in their place during the playoffs for the first time in 50 years. We finally beat the Giants at OUR place (whew) and I got to bring my girls there for an amazing experience. And when the team was 4 - 6 most, if not all fans lost hope, lost faith and somehow, someway the Packers got even the most negative assholes to believe they they could, they might just win the Super Bowl.

Yes, we measure success by Championships in Green Bay and by that standard the season was a failure, just like 31 teams every season.

As a Packers fan, I'm proud of what they accomplished when all things are considered. We now must hope for some changes because it's obvious from 2014 and this 2016 season that status quo is just not cutting it.

What's your one big change you'd like to see for 2017? Mine would be, can we get a defensive coordinator that forces form tackling and doesn't let his players have 7-10 yard cushions?

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
Wow. A fight for hearts and minds while using expletives to shame your membership just because they aren't Stepford like you?

When will the parade be and the hanging of the awesome season banner take place? Might fly up for it.

The objective of professional sports is to win...Win championships not celebrate failure and tune into the participation vibe where we all get a prize and feel good.

Calling this failure awesome is delusional. The same fans and media talking about the 1 point Week 8 loss and us being stronger this time are now saying we were just too injured. The irrational excuses start flying and rationalizing and justifying take center stage so the feel good element stays after embarrassment.

This team was shutout at the half. Lost by 23 and it's all being couched as it sucks but season was still awesome? Again, what's the goal?

Aaron stands and embarrasses himself by talking about Guion having to play guard as a way to say they were too injured. Guion wasn't in the game until they were well shredded.

You want to keep feeling this Fing sucks feeling every year? Just keep going on about awesome seasons that end like this. We've had a ton of awesome and more awesome in our future.

Not sure what to say about Atlanta or New England and their seasons considering ours was awesome. What's beyond that? Awesomer?

Just the typical year and fan reaction in Packerland. Failure being labeled an awesome success. Not all in again but that's okay... We'll get em next year.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago
The season was disappointing not a failure. When you have #12 you always have a chance.

The biggest disappointment was how poorly the CBs did their job. It was suppose to be one of the strengths of this team. Even with Shields out for the year they shouldn't have struggled that much week end and week out.

The front 7 were hard pressed to put consistent pressure on the opposing qb. Yes injuries were a factor but still. I don't need 4 sacks a game to say the DL is doing their job. Give me pressure play after play.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

The season was disappointing not a failure. When you have #12 you always have a chance.

The biggest disappointment was how poorly the CBs did their job. It was suppose to be one of the strengths of this team. Even with Shields out for the year they shouldn't have struggled that much week end and week out.

The front 7 were hard pressed to put consistent pressure on the opposing qb. Yes injuries were a factor but still. I don't need 4 sacks a game to say the DL is doing their job. Give me pressure play after play.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I'm so sick of seeing players looking away and throwing a shoulder in an attempt to tackle I could throw up. This is the NFL, I get that teams will get yards on you, but this garbage of throwing a shoulder all the time? STOP! Look at what you're hitting and wrap up! Also, the cushions the secondary gives is mind boggling at times.

I was confident Davante Adams was going to return solid after his craptastic sophomore season. I saw him still getting separation and open consistently. I have no such hope for Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins. Maybe I'm still sore over the loss, but I think those former basketball players are wasted 1st and 2nd round picks. Which is just insane because they both played so well as rookies. Maybe it was injuries? I don't know, but the cushion Randall gives is just absurd. If that's him doing it, then coaching staff needs to sit him until he gets it. If coaching staff is okay with it, then that means they dn't have confidence in the corners coverage abilities. There's probably other scenarios I'm missing, but to me, its down to those.

Also, I think we should cut ties with Clay Matthews. He seems always dinged up and he is not a leader. I watched other teams and you could see their leader going around leading. Clay doesn't do that and for what he's being paid, he has to be a leader. (just my opinion)
UserPostedImage
steveishere
7 years ago
I felt a lot worse after we lost to Seattle for whatever reason. Yesterday sucked and the 1st half of the year sucked pretty bad but the 2nd half of the year up until yesterday was some of the most enjoyable football I've seen. This was probably my favorite recent season behind 2010 playoff run and 2011 regular season.
Porforis
7 years ago
I wasn't really expecting the Packers to win this one, but the mistakes and missed opportunities especially early are just maddening. Glad we got this far, glad we got this far in spite of injury, but as any player or coach will tell you, it's not enough. Tick, tock. Rodgers isn't getting any younger. Tick, tock. Time to build off this season, get healthy, STAY healthy, and win it all next year. Or at least make it to the big game.

It's not a failure but it's definitely not a success. World ain't black and white.
luigis
7 years ago
We need more Kentrell Brices and less HaHas, Randalls and Rollinses. Our defensive players try to rip the ball out, they never make it and when that fails they carefully try to push the receiver out of bounds or they grab him by his shirt or shoulder pad. The result is that they give up a zillion yards after the catch and the WRs are in the 4th as fresh as they started.
Ah, and don't even think about jamming them at the start of the play, that's forbidden.

We need real NFL players not finesse clowns and a new DC coordinator. A coordinator that would quit if you give him these players.
Luis
TheKanataThrilla
7 years ago
I will echo Porforis and say the miss opportunities have to stop. This has gone on in the playoffs many times. Against San Fran we drop a pick that would given us a huge chance at winning that game. Against Arizona I think Shield drops 3 picks himself. When this D needs to make a play it can't. That is what separates this team from the 2010 playoff team. I am not saying we even could have won with those picks, but it would have certainly helped with the momentum.

Man I wish Wade Phillips would have held off taking the Rams job. I would love him in the fold with us.

Are there any excellent young Defensive minds out there to be had? All I know is we spent 11 of the last 13 first round picks since Drafting Rodgers on Defense and it is still nowhere near good enough.
Smokey
7 years ago
😢 😢 😢

GB needs to stop crying and replace the GM and the DC !

Defense Rules !

UserPostedImage
sschind
7 years ago

Saturday night I had to force myself to sleep early because of how excited I was. Sunday, I was so excited (and nervous) I was pacing back and forth in the shower. The game started and Falcons drove down and scored. This was expected. Falcons script their first two drives better than anyone in the NFL. Mason Crosby missed a very make-able (my opinion) field goal. Falcons drive down and get 3 points on that short field. Packers drive down and Aaron Ripkowski fumbles (BTW, this was a great play by Falcons more than it was a bad play by Ripkowski) short of the goal line. I knew then this was not going to end our way and began the "acceptance" stage of defeat while still hoping for a miracle.

The game is over, the season is over and I say this sucks. This fucking sucks!

I read a lot of football and watch a lot of football (probably too much to be fair) and I've seen a few fans calling the Packers season a failure if it were to end without a Super Bowl ring. That's absurd and unreasonable, but I get it. It's just the Packers season was not a failure. It was exciting and did not end how we wanted. That happens for 31 teams every single year. This team played way above its talent and overachieved. Teams like (to name a few) the 49ers, Rams, Jaguars, Bears , Jets had failure seasons.

The Packers lost their best cover corner, Sam Shields. They lost their best running back, Eddie Lacy. They lost their 2nd and 3rd best corners. They had their 2nd best receiver dinged up most of the season. They had a quarterback who battled hamstring and calf injuries. The best running back on the team came into the season as a receiver. The big free agent signing tight end missed a good deal of the season. They finished the season with the best cover corner being someone who wasn't even drafted.

It goes on an on and quite frankly it's sickening how unfortunate the Packers were, but hey other teams had injuries too. It's not an excuse.

The season was pretty damn awesome. We humiliated the Seahawks. We beat the Cowboys in their place during the playoffs for the first time in 50 years. We finally beat the Giants at OUR place (whew) and I got to bring my girls there for an amazing experience. And when the team was 4 - 6 most, if not all fans lost hope, lost faith and somehow, someway the Packers got even the most negative assholes to believe they they could, they might just win the Super Bowl.

Yes, we measure success by Championships in Green Bay and by that standard the season was a failure, just like 31 teams every season.

As a Packers fan, I'm proud of what they accomplished when all things are considered. We now must hope for some changes because it's obvious from 2014 and this 2016 season that status quo is just not cutting it.

What's your one big change you'd like to see for 2017? Mine would be, can we get a defensive coordinator that forces form tackling and doesn't let his players have 7-10 yard cushions?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

There you go again Zero. Being satisfied with the division championship. Settling for another playoff loss. Sticking your head in the sand and pretending nothing is wrong. Putting up with incompetent leadership. Content with making the playoffs, proud of substandard play, Happy with being good ... lets see, did I miss anything? Oh yeah, the most important one, being a reasonable fan who can appreciate a great effort on the season as a whole put forth by a team who played its heart out when its back was against the wall. A fan who realizes that not winning the SB means the team may have failed to win the SB but that doesn't mean the season was a failure. I'm as guilty as you are.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.