uffda udfa
7 years ago
His record features two OT losses one at home, and one that will likely stand as the greatest debacle in NFCCG history at Seattle.

Let's look at the other two. We don't need to discuss the game yesterday where we went into half with nothing on the scoreboard and ended up routed by over 3 touchdowns.

What about the one game we actually won to send us to the SB? What happened in that game?

First, it was the Bears and Soldier Field which is basically our home away from home. Chicago has no home field advantage when the game is there. Let's just simplify things. We ended up getting to the SB by barely hanging on vs. the Bears 3rd string QB, Caleb Hanie. It was a white knuckle ride beating a Bears team playing with Caleb freaking Hanie.

So, two OT losses, a total drubbing, and one win vs. a 3rd string QB. This is the kind of thing that should be dealt with. As in moving on from the HC that has produced such numbers.

In a sense, I believe that winning the SB has actually cost us winning more SB's. We got stuck with a coach who can't get it done in big moments unless conditions are very tilted in his favor. IE: Playing against a 3rd stringer

Do you honestly feel confident in our regime to win championships or are you more fearful that they won't get it done? I have zero trust in them. This was set up perfectly and we gagged it. 2010 was a loooooooooonnnnnnggggg time ago, now.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

luigis
7 years ago
I would say the loss against Seattle was 90% on Mike, he wasn't aggressive and he thought the game was won when it wasn't.

Against Arizona he should have gone for 2 to end that nightmare after the hail mary.

Against Atlanta he could have challenged the spot in the 1st quarter, should have gone for it in every 4th and short but even then he would have needed to score a TD in 7 out of 9 posessions to win the game. I think I give him a pass this time.

I'm going to say that if you give him a good defense Mike is the best play-caller in the NFL and the Packers are unstoppable.

As smokey said we just need to shift our philosophy to defense-oriented.
Luis
uffda udfa
7 years ago
Our focus has been defense for the last 5 years. How much more focus can we put on it minus FA? We all know we're not going to dip into FA for our D, and even if we do, it's not going to be a big splash/a player who'll really change the face of our D.

Honestly, it's interesting to hear how we need to focus on D. We HAVE been for YEARS with nothing to show for our efforts. No one remembers Mike McCarthy shifting his focus to the D after saying, WRITE IT DOWN. WE WILL BE BETTER ON DEFENSE? Yes, get defensive help...but why not get a new guy to try and fix it? If you went to a shop that could beautifully detail your car, but had issues fixing it mechanically what would you do? Would you continue letting that shop work on your car with subpar results? OR...Would you seek out a new mechanic? Of course, the detail side of it needs to be considered, too. I think it would be prudent to look for a one stop shop that could detail and fix your car to your satisfaction. It'd be plain stupidity to spend 5 years of your life taking your car to a mechanic who couldn't get the job done. Not even mentioning thinking of spending a 6th year at this crappy mechanic's shop. Get a new mechanic for crying out loud. Ted Thompson can't fix a sandwich much less a defense.

I feel like our fanbase has been in a coma or something. Why now would you say to fix the D? It's been badly broken since 2011...it is not a new issue. Just like all the other issues you feel today. It's dizzying to see some of this stuff. Total classic from the Nerd thread on Mike when he wrote, One game, huh? LMAO. Where have you all been? Asleep at the switch? Geez...this team has had a glaring defensive deficiency for 5 full years. Kaepernick ringing bells? Couldn't fix that...good thing Kaepernick went Rick Ankiel and fixed that problem for us along with the great fortune of Harbaugh leaving. That's what we need. Weird outside circumstances or we don't measure up. May never face another Caleb Hanie and not see another SB ever again.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

jlyons043
7 years ago
The extremely heavy drafting towards the defense in these last 5 years has completely failed. How Ted Thompson has been able to stay away from criticism despite continually fielding an absolutely horrific defense capable of giving up new records every year is quite the feat.

36ppg. The average number of points this squad has surrendered in their playoff losses w/ AR. That's unreal
mojaveson
7 years ago

The extremely heavy drafting towards the defense in these last 5 years has completely failed. How Ted Thompson has been able to stay away from criticism despite continually fielding an absolutely horrific defense capable of giving up new records every year is quite the feat.

36ppg. The average number of points this squad has surrendered in their playoff losses w/ AR. That's unreal

Originally Posted by: jlyons043 

Unreal is right. Good job on the statistics. And Ted Thompson deserves all the criticism he gets on this board.
Winners never quit and quitters never win. - Vince Lombardi
Zero2Cool
7 years ago
Why are you worried about Mark Murphy?

Anyhow.

2007 Giants - Favre was instructed to run, he audibled into pass and threw interception. Pretty sure we should have a fumble recovery or something prior to overtime that could have given as FG attempt to win. No chance that Packers team could have beat the Patriots, we didn't have the pass rush.

2010 Bears - Thank goodness it was the Bears (who beat a 7 - 9 Seattle team to get to nfc championship)

2014 Seahawks - it took numerous miracles for the Seahawks to win the game. I put this loss on the coaching staff.

2016 Falcons - Packers had bye week 4 and played 16 straight games with a mash unit. Came up against a superior team and got their asses handed to them and exposed for the lack of talent they have.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago

Why are you worried about Mark Murphy?

Anyhow.

2007 Giants - Favre was instructed to run, he audibled into pass and threw interception. Pretty sure we should have a fumble recovery or something prior to overtime that could have given as FG attempt to win. No chance that Packers team could have beat the Patriots, we didn't have the pass rush.

2010 Bears - Thank goodness it was the Bears (who beat a 7 - 9 Seattle team to get to nfc championship)

2014 Seahawks - it took numerous miracles for the Seahawks to win the game. I put this loss on the coaching staff.

2016 Falcons - Packers had bye week 4 and played 16 straight games with a mash unit. Came up against a superior team and got their asses handed to them and exposed for the lack of talent they have.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Mark Murphy has the power to make the changes necessary. It's clear Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy aren't going to make them as they seem to love this "stability"...perhaps, the other Mike McCarthy loves it also? Cha ching! Any passionate soul who wants to win championships would've made changes long before this season. It's just hard to watch year after year while the same excuses get thrown out by the placated fanbase about how good we have it when we could and should have it so much better.

UserPostedImage

Dulak
7 years ago
This sort of goes along with your post ...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000778476/article/brady-pats-are-brainwashed-by-belichick-approach 
"He never lets his foot off the gas pedal so when it comes to our team, you're brainwashed. That's just the way it goes."

While I think Mike McCarthy is a great headcoach - the guy at NE is great also and IMO better and somethings or maybe alot of things. For example - how many times do we see the score of the pats beating a team by 2-4 scores where we just squeak by ... as you mentioned the seattle game exemplifies this. Maybe he does it because he doesnt want his players to get hurt ... I dont know ... but Belichick wins lots of games and there must be a reason why.

musccy
7 years ago

I feel like our fanbase has been in a coma or something. Why now would you say to fix the D? It's been badly broken since 2011...it is not a new issue.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Aside from a few select posts, I just don't see where fans have become complacent with the defenses' performance.

It's clearly been the Achilles heel for the team since '10. All the team's first round picks since then have been on defense so the team recognizes that too, they've just been unsuccessful at addressing it.

Zero2Cool
7 years ago

Aside from a few select posts, I just don't see where fans have become complacent with the defenses' performance.

It's clearly been the Achilles heel for the team since '10. All the team's first round picks since then have been on defense so the team recognizes that too, they've just been unsuccessful at addressing it.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

[sarcasm]
You're failing to understand how easy it is to improve your defense in a league that favors offense. You need to play Madden to get a feasible understanding of just how easy it is to accomplish this.
[/sarcasm]
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.