Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
7 years ago
This was a great season!

Losers in life [Thinking they can become winners by latching onto Packers’ coattails] unfamiliar with history often quote Lombardi’s “Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing” and “there is no second place, you’re either first or last.” Lombardi expressed regret that these quotes attained so much mileage. When asked specifically about the “no second place” quote, he said, “I wish I never said that.” When asked, “why? Don’t you believe it?” Lombardi responded, “what I believe is if you go out a football field on Sunday, or any other endeavor in life, and you leave every fiber of what you have on that field when the game finally ends, then you’ve won. And to me that tells you a lot more than the final score, and I never made that clear.” This of course, is 100% clear to any student of Lombardi.

At 4-6, all but one, would have sold their soul to Beelzabub for the gift of losing in the NFC champ game. And the future is bright. We have a stoked 2017 roster and $50M [After Shields, Guion and Starks are cut] in cap space to sign our guys and make a key outside free agent acquisition or two, if available and want to come to GB. Ted has proven he will sign them.

I expect winning 8 straight elimination games against 5 playoff teams [one being the #1 team] is an unprecedented achievement in all sports. This is all the more amazing realizing it came on the heels of a horrific 4 game losing streak. And during the 8 Game streak there was all kinds of adversities along the way [it is not like everyone got healthy and life was easy], this achievement is remarkable. For the players and coaches to right a sinking ship and then transform it into a winning speed boat is a credit to them as men, as teammates and as football players.

When a car runs out of gas it doesn’t just go at modest pace; it stops, and that’s what happened in Atlanta. Whether it was the emotions of Dallas game, 1/3 of the team missing practice time last week, something that occurred in the game, or simply the impossibility of playing well in 9 straight elimination games; something punctured a hole in GB's gas tank [The gas tank was a one of GB's rallying cries during the streak] and the car stopped. Injuries occur usually when fatigue set in, this team was fatigued. This was not a failure of coaching or personnel, GB simply hit a wall after 8 elimination games and they literally left everything on the field. According to Lombardi this is a WIN. Now, who has the balls to challenge Lombardi?

On the Offense: Rodgers was going through unbelievable family drama, and still right before Dallas and Atlanta games his "dad" and "brother" Jordan, respectively, continued to publicly work to peck his eyes out. What a bunch of assholes. Some can put it aside; Rodgers obviously couldn’t. If we chart the build-up of his family drama with Rodgers’ bad QB play, there can be no doubt these things possess a causal relationship. And just when the world was wondering if Aaron was done, he rose to the occasion and worked way back close to being Aaron Rodgers again. Yea, if we break down his play in Atl., at glance it appears same ole’ Jay Doppelganger returned, but the entire team effed up in every way imaginable. Rodgers was hand-in-hand with his mates as the locomotive that plunged off the end of the collapsed railroad trestle into the gorge below. Next year, as Aaron continues his assent back to being Aaron, we are assured the #1 seed.

On D, Atlanta lost a starting safety, then it was over; a few weeks later they lost a starting CB, then it was over. GB’s secondary was freakin’ musical chair MASH unit. One week this guy is hurt, next week that guy, next week those 2 guys, next week half don’t practice, next week a guy has a great game and gets hurt in Sat practice before next game. This group of youngster didn’t have one chance to practice and play together for any week during the entire year. Playing zone well requires A TON of reps together. Next year the secondary with its talent, football acumen and young blood will excel, the ILBs will approach dominant and the DL will be its best it has been since Cullen Jenkins left.
uffda udfa
7 years ago
I was wondering when Barfarn would regale us with his view of the 2016 Packers. I am not shocked he's taken the polar opposite from my view with some semi plagiarism to boot. I use mechanic analogy for your car, and the car analogy is found here. I see you, B.

So, you think the Packers left every fiber of their being out there? Really? If we were maxed out then we need something better somewhere because we got rolled.

Lombardi's quote encapsulate the drive you need to be champions. I don't think he has a shred of regret for giving quotes that would drive and put one in a mindset of being the best and winning it all. He went a little soft at the end more toward the esteem movement. He was right in the beginning. First reaction is usually the right one to go with.

You play to win the game...when you lose a game in the playoffs...you lose and you're done. The ring IS the thing. Rodgers sure didn't have this rosy view in his presser because it isn't rosy. ALL IN, RELOAD, not terms one says when as placated as this fanbase. He knows we AREN'T giving our all in all facets of the org to be champions. His lament is my lament and a few others here. Some starting to see...others still with eyes wide shut.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
7 years ago
2016 was a good season, they made it to the NFC Championship game which was better than most thought they would do. I thought they were going to make the playoffs, but not get as far as the NFC Champion game.

UserPostedImage
shield4life
7 years ago
I as well enjoyed this season it was a fun roller coaster ride but was it really a good season for the future of this team?

I don't think it is & here's the reason why?

This team hasn't taken a step forward compare to the prior years. Yes we made it to the NFC championship game in comparison to last year but who says we wouldn't of had made it last year, had we started with the ball in overtime vs the Cardinals? (Could of, should of, would of) I can't sit here presume or assume what can or could of happened last year but the fact is that for the past two/three season the major problem of this team has in fact been the defense.

I keep stating it over and over, Dom Capers scheme is broken it will not work and this team will keep on suffering as long as his the defensive coordinator. Injuries is not an excuse (apparently for our management it is). The main reason that this team made the playoffs is because Aaron Rodgers basically outplayed all opposing QB's. Against the Giants had OBJ concetrated more often & jad not dropped so many balls could of been different outcome and had Rodgers not been so great against the Cowboys that game could of been lost by the defense not being able to shut down again!

#1 Capers needs to get fired
#2 Defensive line needs to get a good pass rusher
#3 Get us a decent CB

Sucks cause had we been out the first round or not made the playoffs Capers would of been surely fired but now ... that's what I'm worried now.

Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
beast
7 years ago

I as well enjoyed this season it was a fun roller coaster ride but was it really a good season for the future of this team?

Originally Posted by: shield4life 

No it wasn't a good season for the future... because we didn't get a top 10 or even top 16 pick... it would of been better for the future if they went 4-12. For the future it would of been much better if they just lost all of their games...

But a season isn't about the future if they're trying to make a run... and clearly the Packers tried to make a run as they made it to the final 4.

Winning the Super Bowl was a good season... but it was bad for the future as some of the guys admitted to losing the chip on their shoulder and some of their desire for (another) ring, at least for a season or two... I think a couple of players mentioned that about the team... and Raji openly admitted it about himself years ago.

So good season and good season for the future, are often opposites. So IMO, it was a good season for 2016, but not a good season for the future.

THOUGH, the Packers offense did get out of their 2015/early 2016 funk... that's very good for the future. Also found a TE and a couple of interesting options at RB, which might be good for the future. But overall, no it wasn't good for the future... because it was a good hard fought season.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.