buckeyepackfan
7 years ago

Don’t get your hopes up for a magical solution to the Packers’ secondary woes on the free agent market this offseason If you are hoping that a free agent cornerback will solve the Packers ’ issues in the secondary, I’m going to give you the TL;DR version of this article up front to save you some time:
You are going to be disappointed.
Assuming you’ve followed the Packers for more than one offseason, you know that Ted Thompson is notoriously loath to sign free agents. Cornerbacks in particular have not ranked high on his free agent priority list.
Other than Charles Woodson , he’s only signed one free agent cornerback since he took over as general manager in 2005. That player was Frank Walker , and if you remember any of his notable moments from the 2007 season, you are lying.
There’s a business truism that says when you’re trying to secure work from a contractor, you can pick two of the following three attributes: good, cheap, and fast . The intersection of those three attributes is a near impossibility, and searching for it will drive you crazy.
Free agents are very similar. You want them to be talented, affordable, and relatively young, but if you’re hoping for all three, you’re going to be looking for a long time.
Such is the case with this year’s crop of potential free agents. I took the list of pending free agent cornerbacks provided at Spotrac.com  and sorted it by their Pro Football Focus rating for this season.
PFF’s ratings are not a be-all, end-all, but for our purposes they can serve as a baseline for establishing the relative level to which a player performed this season. For the sake of this discussion, I only included the players who accumulated enough snaps to earn a grade from PFF.
Here’s the list (with a link  in case it’s hard to see):

Right off the bat we can see some issues. In PFF’s system, corners rated 80 or better are considered above average, and 90 or better is considered elite. Four of the six corners who are 80 or better are 27 or younger, so they meet at least two of our three criteria.
However, it seems unlikely that Houston, Dallas, or New England is likely to let a young and talented corner like Bouye, Claiborne, or Ryan make it to the open market, and if they do, they’ll be expensive.
Last year’s top three free agent cornerbacks received a combined $98.8 million in guaranteed money. If the Packers try to compete in that kind of bidding war, they’re going to have a difficult time retaining any of their own free agents, leaving much of the defense to be populated by (wait for it) draft picks and undrafted free agents.
The next tier of free agents, likewise, presents similar issues. Four of the nine players rated between 70 and 79 by PFF are just 26 years old, which means that any potential bidders should be getting the heart of their prime.
However, this price range also gets tricky. Since most of the top end of the market probably will return to their team of origin, you’ll be in a bidding war even for a second tier player. And secondly, even someone in this range isn’t guaranteed to be any good. For sake of comparison, Ladarius Gunter’s grade for last season was 71.2 before a major regression this year.
Beyond the second tier range, there’s very little reason to consider signing anybody. This is the part of the list that will get you only “young” or “cheap,” leaving you to just cross your fingers and hope for “talented.” The Packers can do better than signing this kind of free agent.
Like I said at the top, if you’re hoping for the Packers to shore up their secondary with free agent spending, this is going to be a disappointing offseason. Not only are the Packers generally uninterested in splurging on free agents, there’s also very little in the way of decent free agents out there.
Unless someone from the top end of the market falls through the cracks or an unexpected player gets released late, free agency won’t help the Packers’ cornerback situation.

[/URL]      

Continue Reading @ [url=http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/1/27/14420310/packers-free-agency-cornerbacks-ted-thompson-sign-secondary-aj-bouye-logan-ryan-impact]Jon Meerdink 

Jon Meerdink wrote:

There. You go boys.
A list of all the FA cb's available TODAY!
The list will be much smaller when FA actually begins.

Let's go all you big spenders.
Who and how much?

My opinion, a healthy Randall and Rollins have more potential and are a lot more affordable.

But hey which one of these FA's is going to lead The Packers to The Super Bowl?
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
mojaveson
7 years ago
Not much to get excited about from that article.
Winners never quit and quitters never win. - Vince Lombardi
yooperfan
7 years ago
The excuse for Ted Thompson to sit on his thumb and do nothing in free agency has been constructed.
The "perfect" guy isn't there so why bother.💤
buckeyepackfan
7 years ago

The excuse for Ted Thompson to sit on his thumb and do nothing in free agency has been constructed.
The "perfect" guy isn't there so why bother.💤

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Stating the facts has now become an "excuse"?
The point being, to sit here when the 2016 season isn't even over railing on Ted Thompson is ridiculous;.

Nobody knows who is going to be available, could be at final cut downs there will be a CB released who could help The Packers.

Again that's a wait and see.

I'll say it again, with the guys available today(which most will not be available when FA actually begins),
There is nobody on that list that will be any better than a healthy Randall or Rollins.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
northmianon
7 years ago
is Stephon Gilmore that bad? I always got the impression he was better than that PFF ranking.

Anyways, call me crazy - but I like what we have. Yes I know, they got shredded and embarassed - but there were times they showed up too. These are super young guys that were put into uncomfortable situations throughout the year because of injuries - and they were simply out of gas.

Give them the off-season. They learned a lot about themselves this year, and it's time for them to put it to use. I guarantee you that one of the popular storylines next year will be how improved our secondary is - but we need to get more consistent pass rush in order.
uffda udfa
7 years ago

is Stephon Gilmore that bad? I always got the impression he was better than that PFF ranking.

Anyways, call me crazy - but I like what we have. Yes I know, they got shredded and embarassed - but there were times they showed up too. These are super young guys that were put into uncomfortable situations throughout the year because of injuries - and they were simply out of gas.

Give them the off-season. They learned a lot about themselves this year, and it's time for them to put it to use. I guarantee you that one of the popular storylines next year will be how improved our secondary is - but we need to get more consistent pass rush in order.

Originally Posted by: northmianon 

Welcome,northmianon... (Never seen you before) I read a piece on Gilmore the other day saying when he actually decided to play he played at an all pro level but he played fearful this year because it was a contract year and he didn't want to blow his payday. So, I guess the guy can really play but he's kind of a puss and kind of smart depending on how you view that. I think he's a puss.

Also, it sounds like he wants Josh Norman money so you can scratch him off your list unless everyone passes on him and he somehow makes it to 2nd wave. Buffalo may just franchise him...I read they will never give him a long term deal for what he's looking for. He made 11 million last year. That's way too rich for Ted's tastes and probably not Ted's kind of guy watching his play slip to protect himself for his payday.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
I wouldn't expect a FA corner, but I don't it can be said that he doesn't value or prioritize the position just because he hasn't signed lots of them in the past, I would expect FA to be in positions of greater need, and over those years we had Al Harris, Woodson, Tramon, Shields. Save the FA money for positions of greater need while developing your backups.

Its going to hurt losing Sammy, yes I'm assuming he won't be back. But Randall and Rollins have both shown the potential and ability at the position, Gunter even showed enough where I'd feel comfortable with him being our #3 or #4 CB, just not our #1.

But as is true for almost all secondary's, they are not usually very good if there isn't a pass rush. We need the improvement in the front seven to be able to get after the QB consistently. Do that and the secondary gets better by default.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
warhawk
7 years ago
The pass rush needs to be addressed first.
In reality had we had Shields and any of the FA CB's being talked about here Atlanta still beats us in that game. The front 7 cannot play that poorly against good playoff caliber offenses and stand a chance of winning. Clay Mathews had 1 tackle in that game. One. Get him inside at ILB money or say goodbye. Goodbye to Julius. These guys are beyond their prime and an off season doesn't change that it just adds to it.
They get the guys that can consistently get after the QB and the confidence on the entire defense goes sky high.
Pass rushers make CB's better. CB's don't make pass rushers better. Pretty obvious to me where it has to start.
Resign Perry, move Clay inside at ILB money, draft a pass rusher in a draft loaded there, and spend some $ in FA. That would be a good start.
"The train is leaving the station."
DoddPower
7 years ago
Is Casey Hayward available? 😝
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (52m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.