Barfarn
7 years ago

Here's what I know... Jordan Howard had more impact than our entire class and it wasn't even close. I know that the OL we traded up for that caused the Bears to settle for Whitehair had far less impact and at this stage is nowhere as good. Floyd flashed far more skill than Fackrell. Based on the above I think I can confidently conclude that our draft was nowhere as impactful as the Bears.

Kenny Clark made a few plays all year. Josh Boyd flashed more when he was a rookie.

Spriggs looked like Barclay's little brother.

Fackrell needs 3 years in a weight room and plays way too passively.

I like Martinez. Smart. Good angles. Seems to have enough speed. Good tackler.

Davis is another Abby in the sense he's thin and not NFL ready body wise. Not that fast. No suddenness.

Lowry looks like a solid lunch pail guy. Not sure if he's just high floor or if he can get a whole lot better.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I just returned to Packersnotes.com a few days ago, and was catching up on some articles...

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I've redacted your post, what's left demonstrates how adults talks football. Why cant you just post stuff like this instead of all the other childish crap, manipulative idiocy and threats [saying you’re keeping a record, to what? shove in my face later? This equals [assho]]? It is not a contest battle, no one else is playing. You want to see whose schwantz in longer? Just so you know, the chosen hung dont need talk about it. So just respond with FOOTBALL. If you grit your teeth to WIN, to prove your dick is longer than mine; you'll only be confessing that you possess a tiny little schlork. If you talk FOOTBALL, then we'll assume you are confident in the size of your pagoda. And had all of your post ONLY confined itself to stuff like the redacted stuff above; there’d be no drama whatsoever about your posts with anyone and you would not have driven so many posters away.

Now focus! Respond to my post like man and an adult or dont. I disagreed with your take, so I provide an alternate opinion with support with scholarship. If you want to counter great; but please talk ONLY FOOTBALL. If you have no meaningful counter-argument, dont just repeat your opinions or go off so some zany tangent, it's simple, just don't respond.

Who is Rodney? I just read his blog on Tramon being good. He’d rather pay Tramon $2M…but if you can get a CB for 2M is he sucks. He says he’s been watching tape. Then puts up 2 clips that show Tramon getting beat by 4 yards on a secondary move and the QB throwing way behind causes a pick; and Tramon at safety back peddling before snap because he knows he cant keep up. This is an example viewing the evidence through a predisposed bias with a dash of $2M irrationality on top. He also incorrectly opines that Mathews is getting paid elite money. This year he’s only getting 10.9M and elite is 20 Million [EG Von Miller]; the next tier is 15M [EG Kerrigan]; bottom of second top of third tier is 12.5M [EG Collins] then $11 is the bottom of 3rd tier or 4th tier [EG Jerry Hughes]. [All numbers adjusted for 2017]. So though I look forward to reading every word Rodney has written and he is very very good; he is not someone who’s stuff has an ipso facto quality.

Factoring the subsequent analysis and PFF grades [Chicago has a high quality and above average, but at C and RB respectively; GB got 3 averages for premium positions 2DL and one OLB] and importance of the positions; and because Chicago stunk so the rookies got more opportunities; and Chicago had some bad player performances; and Floyd is a Poor, not a below average; it’s pretty close between GB and Chic and Minn and Det are not even in same zip code. Given the drastic difference in draft position; clearly Ted won again if we just look at year 1 performance.

Floyd V. Fackrell: Fackrell too passive? Poppycock! That was not an opinin formed from WATCHING THE GAME. Fackrell easily had a better year than Floyd and if the draft were redone, Fackrell probably is picked ahead of Floyd, based on their year one play; especially after Floyd’s 2 major concussions that were a result of technique. Fackrall had better stats and was better at getting to QB.

An unblocked or coverage sack is not graded by NFL teams the same as a sack where a guy just woops his guy. Floyd’s grades were as high as they were because of his 7.5 sacks, but because Floyd did not have a single sack by just beating his man in over 500 snaps his grade is way over inflated. Whereas Fackrell got 2 in 146, his PFF grade in solid. Here’s their sacks:

1. On a play action, OT Brown, run blocking, lunged at Floyd, who got around Brown for a half sack ONLY because QB held onto ball; Osweiler stinks.

2. Floyd took and inside move on Jake Long and Bradford ran into sack.

3. “sack” against TB’s Winston was more of a tackle. It was a jail break, 3 guys flushed Winston from pocket, he escaped and starts to run, the one guy who couldn’t get off the LOS [Floyd] is then there to make tackle and because it was a QB behind LOS, he got a sack.

4. Floyd’s Stafford sack came after 7 seconds in 2nd Lions game.

5. Sack on Rodgers. Floyd was inside Young at end, they stunted. Young penetrated pushing inside on Barclay and grabbed Bulaga’s shoulder pad. This allowed Floyd to loop around Bulaga.

6. Sack on Rodgers. Floyd took an inside move on Bak, Taylor hit him and he fell to ground; both Taylor and Bak thought the other would fall on Floyd, no one did he got up for sack.

7. Gabbart sack. Took and inside move on RT, who thought he had help, no one tried to block Floyd, who got sack. [This was much like Lowry’s sack on Osweiler discussed later]

8. Got a coverage sack for 0 yards on Kaepernick after he was flushed by other DLmen

Fackrall got one sack against Giants Bobby Hart. The play before he did a bullrush pushing Hart back to w/in a yard of Manning. On next play he came in exactly the same way, but this time grabbed Harts arms and threw him to side for strip sack in less than 3 seconds.

Fackrell also got a sack against Taylor Decker of Lions; Fackrell sensed Taylor’s unbalance and thumped him in the chest and got right around for a 2.5 second sack. These 2 sacks showed unbelievable instinct to set-up and feel the OTs balance. This is stuff that Floyd just cant do.

Fackrell and Floyd played against Taylor in consecutive weeks. Fackrell had 37 snaps in Detroit, it was the only game he got significant snaps, got the sack stated above and with 1:10 in 2d Q, he gets his 2nd sack of Taylor does not hold. ON next play the RB chips on outside Fackrell throws Taylor to outside and is at Stafford’s feet in 3 seconds on 70+ TD pass was to Jones. At 2:26 in 3rd Q Decker is seal blocking Fackrell, Fackrall just throws him to the side, Fackrall is the king of leverage. At 1:51 in 3rd Fackrell performs an unbelievable spin move on Decker and Decker trips him. Fackrell would have had 3rd sacks if Taylor didn’t hold and trip him. Decker had a PFF grade of 47.8.

The next week Floyd goes up against Decker and did NOTHING. Not a tackle, pressure, sack or sniff of making a play. He got hurt after 3 plays in 2nd half. Decker was Detroit’s 2nd highest graded player on PFF (81.9). The headline in Tribune after the game says it all: “Bears, Leonard Floyd fighting the frustration of his stunted development.”

Whitehair Played great for a rookie; but C is the 2nd easiest position for a young player to excel at. If he was T or even a G, that would have been special. Centers are rarely drafted in 1 or 2nd round. A center that is early 2nd should start as a rookie it is expected. Comparing him to Spriggs is silly. I’d much rather have a DT play like Clark than a Center in Whitehair. You don’t compare him to an OT; you compare him to guys like Tretter or Linsley, who were drafted Much later and were both better than Whitehair in their first year playing.

Jordan Howard looked good; but he’s a RB; it’s the easiest position to play in football. Plus, he’s not as good as his stats. Nerd would call him a stat whore. Take the 2nd GB game. When the game was in the balance his runs were: 5,2,3,3,2,1,6,3,1. [Under 3 YPC]. Then GB takes an insurmountable lead with 4 minutes left in 3rd, bring in the dime back and then: 4, 8, 9, 13, 11, 9, 4, 9, 4, 3, 13. Then the Bears are at the 3; need him to get in and he gets Zero (with 1 guy holding) and Zero or as Nerd would say, “he shit himself.” Having a 1300 yard RB on a 3-13 team doesn’t mean much. Half of Todman’s yards this year came when the D was playing prevent type defenses. If he was on a real team that was in games each weak he would have had 6-700 yards and a 3.5 yard avg. Nothing special.

Clark played GREAT for a rookie DT, His PFF grade is solid.

Watched every college snap of Lowry; loved him as a 4th; he’s a great young man and a student of the game and I think he’ll produce [grades not stats] like Kampmann, he’s another NU rising star. He played well for a rookie; but PFF grade is inflated by his 2 sacks [One a coverage/hustle 4.5 second sack on Wilson and missed assignment sack on Osweiler] that did not come from him beating someone. He did not play as well as Clark, but wasn’t too far behind.

Martinez was very good probably receiving average PFF grades until his injury. He was not the same after it.

Bullard, Kwiatkowski, Bush got enough snaps to show they sucked in year 1 at positions where the Bears were very bad year.

Spriggs was not given a position and Davis was blocked on depth chart, so his fumbles killed his grade. In ATl. Game, the only one where Davis played any meaningful snaps, PFF said his play was “somewhat encouraging.”

NFCN Rookie PFF Grades [From Reddit]
Detroit:
Decker (OT): 82.4 on 1089 snaps. Above Average.
Robinson (DT): 53.4 on 446 snaps. Poor.
Glasgow (G): 42.1 on 760 snaps. Poor.
Killebrew (S): 54.8 on 158 snaps. Poor.
Dahl (G): 54.9 on 20 snaps. Poor.
Williams (LB): 42.3 on 204 snaps. Poor.
Rudock (QB): INC.
Zettel (DE): 47.1 on 224 snaps. Poor.
Landes (LS): INC.
Washington (RB): 55.9 on 231 snaps. Poor.

Chicago:
Floyd (OLB): 65.1 on 537 snaps. Below Average.
Whitehair (C): 87.2 on 1009 snaps. High Quality.
Bullard (DE): 42.4 on 296 snaps. Poor.
Kwiatkoski (LB): 54.8 on 458 snaps. Poor.
Bush (S): 56.6 on 333 snaps. Poor.
Hall (CB): 51.7 on 79 snaps. Poor.
Howard (RB): 81.0 on 654 snaps. Above Average.
Houston-Carson (S): 64.6 on 8 snaps. Below Average.
Braverman (WR): 67.8 on 17 snaps. Below Average.

Minnesota:
Treadwell (WR): 55.7 on 79 snaps. Poor.
Alexander (CB): 48.0 on 67 snaps. Poor.
Beavers (G): 48.7 on 11 snaps. Poor.
Brothers (LB): 60.0 on 1 snap. Below Average.
Böhringer (WR): INC.
Morgan II (TE): 64.0 on 61 snaps. Below Average.
Weatherly (LB): 56.5 on 2 snaps. Poor.
Kearse (S): 54.3 on 78 snaps. Poor.

Green Bay:
Clark: 70.3 on 410 snaps. Average.
Spriggs: 45.7 on 276 snaps. Poor.
Fackrell: 70.1 on 171 snaps. Average.
Martinez: 50.2 on 480 snaps. Poor.
Lowry: 74.9 on 210 snaps. Average.
Davis: 53.3 on 117 snaps. Poor.
Murphy: 64.4 on 8 snaps. Below Average.

PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
If any of us had been asked prior to the season which teams in the North would have the most contribution from their rookies I doubt any of us would have not guessed he Bears and Lions. They were the worst teams so of course their rookies should have more opportunity.

That was a pretty stupid article.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
uffda udfa
7 years ago
The article was meant to show rookie contribution. That's all. It wasn't meant to show who had the better class. Grades were assigned not as a comparison between teams rather to grade each team's rookies.

Our team is predicated on draft and develop and requires a rookie or two to play and have an impact. See the Michael Rodney piece for that framework.

We aren't getting what we need. We draft for need and when those need picks don't produce it's a major issue.

As for Barfarn's post... You are citing PFF correct? I've made my feelings known about who they are. I don't have the confidence in them you do.

You like to believe that because of all your study and research that your opinion is worth more. I admire the time you put in. Your conclusions aren't superior to mine and that's the thing. You know this but want to novella me into the idea that your opinion counts more. I'm never going to be a guy who wants to watch a bunch of film. Some people need to spend years with someone before proposing while some just know right away.

If you weren't a Packers fan, I think your opinion would carry more weight. To me, it's clear your fandom clouds your judgment. It doesn't get in the way for me and that's why my opinion is as valid or more valid than yours.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago
As I said in the section that was move in general teams that draft earlier each round should be expected to have the better players who will also have the opportunity to play sooner than teams who draft later and already have better quality veterans at most positions.
It is not a condemnation of the teams that draft at the bottom of each round.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

I thought Kenny Clark looked like one of our best players in the playoffs even though they kept his snaps down for whatever reason. He also was the youngest player in the league. I'm excited to see him next year even though Dom will probably keep throwing useless Guion out there a bunch instead.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Kenny Clark was improving continuously and that's what we want out of a young player. Hopefully he takes that expected big step from year one to year two. If he does, it'll make the secondary appear better than they are.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.