wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

It wasn’t the haul they’ve received in past years, but the Green Bay Packers didn’t come up completely empty in the compensatory draft pick department, either.

They were awarded an additional fifth-round pick on Friday, when the NFL announced the 32 compensatory selections in this year’s draft. The pick, which will be No. 39 in the fifth round and No. 184 overall, was to offset the loss of cornerback Casey Hayward in free agency last spring.

The Packers did not sign any free agents that would factor into the compensatory formula. Tight end Jared Cook did not count.

Since the current compensatory program began in 1994, the Packers have been awarded the second-most selections (38) behind the Baltimore Ravens (48).

ESPN 

It typically seems as if GB gives up or passes on players with more value than what they gain with the comp picks.

I would like to see the CBA drop comps all together. Keep your players or let them walk, the choice is up to each team.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
7 years ago

ESPN 

It typically seems as if GB gives up or passes on players with more value than what they gain with the comp picks.

I would like to see the CBA drop comps all together. Keep your players or let them walk, the choice is up to each team.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I like the comp picks program. Teams should be rewarded for selecting players that remain in the league. In a salary cap era you can't keep them all and you need to find spots for new draft picks and bench warmers to allow them to progress and develop.

wpr
  • wpr
7 years ago

I like the comp picks program. Teams should be rewarded for selecting players that remain in the league. In a salary cap era you can't keep them all and you need to find spots for new draft picks and bench warmers to allow them to progress and develop.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

Ok fine. Make the choice of who you keep and who you let go. I have no problem with that. But a team shouldn't be rewarded for not keeping a player that they no longer want. Let them truly be free agents without any strings attached.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
Interesting take on Compensatory Picks.

Compensatory Picks Hurt Parity 
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wpr
  • wpr
7 years ago

Interesting take on Compensatory Picks.

Compensatory Picks Hurt Parity 

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I have never been a big fan of comp picks. Even less of a fan today. It makes sense that teams with poor records don't get comp picks. The players they released probably are not picked up by the other teams.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

Ok fine. Make the choice of who you keep and who you let go. I have no problem with that. But a team shouldn't be rewarded for not keeping a player that they no longer want. Let them truly be free agents without any strings attached.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Maybe the team does want the player, but the price tag is too high? It's a fair system. It's so fair the formula is transparent for everyone to view an discern its legitimacy.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
Now this is an interesting and different subject. And the article I linked gives some information I hadn't thought about. Is the compensatory system unfair to teams, or players for that matter.

I'm not sure I agree with the article. It being easier and cheaper to obtain FA to improve their team should be beneficial to the worse teams. I also don't think compensatory compensation is much of a factor in determining if a FA will be retained or let hit the market. Using Casey Hayward as an example. I don't think Packers would have tried harder to keep him if the compensatory system didn't exist, and I don't think it has much impact on whether teams sign a FA either. If a team doesn't have a couple more late round picks, they are just going to sign a couple more UDFA, the difference in talent level once you get that deep isn't very great.

This year might be different though now since I believe comp picks can be used in trades.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wpr
  • wpr
7 years ago

Now this is an interesting and different subject. And the article I linked gives some information I hadn't thought about. Is the compensatory system unfair to teams, or players for that matter.

I'm not sure I agree with the article. It being easier and cheaper to obtain FA to improve their team should be beneficial to the worse teams. I also don't think compensatory compensation is much of a factor in determining if a FA will be retained or let hit the market. Using Casey Hayward as an example. I don't think Packers would have tried harder to keep him if the compensatory system didn't exist, and I don't think it has much impact on whether teams sign a FA either. If a team doesn't have a couple more late round picks, they are just going to sign a couple more UDFA, the difference in talent level once you get that deep isn't very great.

This year might be different though now since I believe comp picks can be used in trades.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Sorry I disagree. Whether he is right or wrong with how he chooses to stock the team, I think Ted is very aware of the comp pick factor and acts accordingly. He has let many players leave who were going to get paid close to their full value. He has consistently shied away from FAs that would lower the Packer's comp pick valuation.

I have no doubt if there was not a comp program some of the players he has let go over the past 12 years would have been re-signed.

UserPostedImage
sschind
7 years ago
Not that it matters but I read in another article that Tolzein's numbers according to the formula would have been enough for a 7th rounder but they only award 32 picks and he came in after that.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.