wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

Teams make plenty of decisions based on talent and production, but most of the time it comes down to money.
The player that may be in the financial crosshairs in the next couple years is Randall Cobb. That may sound shocking and maybe even alarming to some, but his production hasn’t been the same since 2014.
Cobb turns 27 in August and the question must be asked if he still is in fact Aaron Rodgers’ No. 2 option or if he has dropped a peg to No. 3. Last year, Davante Adams had 19 percent of the passing targets compared to Cobb’s 13 percent. Adams had the best season of his three-year career and showed that he can be counted on to make plays when it matters most.
Cobb has shown difficulty getting through press coverage and when he was asked to take on the No. 1 receiver role when Jordy Nelson missed all of 2015, his warts were exposed. Cobb’s upside is that he had zero drops last season despite playing through hamstring and ankle issues. Compare that to Adams’ five drops and two fumbles last year and Cobb is the sure thing.
So if his production doesn’t speak to you, the money will talk. Cobb has a cap hit of $12.6 million this season, which is No. 3 on the team behind Rodgers’ $20.3 million and Clay Matthews’ $15 million. In 2018, Cobb moves up to No. 2 with a cap hit of $12.7 million. Those are big numbers for a guy that hasn’t been very consistent.
And the numbers work out for the Packers even more in 2018. If Cobb gets cut next year, his dead cap number drops from $6.5 million to $3.2 million. The Packers will have Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Geronimo Allison, Trevor Davis and Jeff Janis at wideout this year. The bottom three guys are very green and if another injury stung the Packers this season, it could be devastating.
But then there could also be a twist in the equation. Richard Sherman wants out of Seattle. Sherman is cantankerous at times but he remains one of the best cover corners in the league. A Cobb for Sherman trade would work pretty well on a team that needs more veteran depth in the secondary and the Seahawks were 18th in the NFL last year in passing touchdowns with Doug Baldwin as their No. 1 wideout.
No matter what general manager Ted Thompson does, Cobb is going to be tricky. If Cobb has a solid 2017 campaign do the Packers forget about dropping him and keep him for 2018 no questions asked? Or do the Packers leverage that success by trying to acquire more talent?
With Ty Montgomery’s emergence as the team’s running back, Cobb’s versatility has taken a hit. His opportunities as a kick and punt returner will soon fade and since Cobb isn’t likely to be manning the Wildcat, he will ultimately hang his hat exclusively on his receiving skills.
Cobb has been a solid Packer but unless he reworks his contract before 2018, the chances of him becoming a cap casualty are pretty high. 

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

˙ǝɹǝɥ sʇǝƃ ʇᴉ uǝɥʍ ɹɐǝʎ ʇxǝu ʇnoqɐ ʎɹɹoʍ llᴉʍ I ˙ɹɐǝʎ sᴉɥʇ pǝsɐǝlǝɹ ǝq ʇ,uoʍ ǝH ˙ʇsod qɯnp sᴉɥʇ ʇsᴉl ɐpuᴉʞ s,ʇI ˙ɹɐǝʎ sᴉɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʎɐld uǝʌǝ ʎǝɥʇ ǝɹoɟǝq uosɐǝs 8Ɩ ǝɥʇ ʇnoqɐ ʎɹɹoʍ oʇ ssǝlʇuᴉod s,ʇI
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
7 years ago
What made Cobb special was his ability to change direction. He's lost some of that. Can he get it back? He's only 27, but I'm not convinced.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
7 years ago
I would be very very surprised if Cobb is a cal casualty this year. Sure he has a cap hit of a littel over 12 million but he also has dead money of 6 million so we would only net 6 million in savings. There are 2 ways to look at that. First, Cobb is a bargain for 6 million second if we get rid of him we are going to have to replace him and if you want to replce him with someone comparable you are either going to have to get lucky with a cheap first contract type guy or pay some veteran 3 or 4 million which brings the nest savings down to 2 or 3 million.

Bottom line is Cobb's dead money makes it unlikely he will be a cap casualty this year. I could see a WR taken 3rd or 4th round with an idea of an eventual replacement and a 2018 release if the rookie shows promise.
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
I highly doubt we could bring in a replacement and get the same production for 6million or less. Now next year, there is a much better chance. His best option would be either this year or next, working out an "extension" that makes him more cap friendly.

And if our two new TEs work out as we hope, the need for as much depth at the WR position is going to make him more "replaceable".
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
7 years ago
I STILL like Cobb, and think he's needed in this offense. You can't keep losing your core players and expect to keep team chemistry.
Rodgers KNOWS Cobb, and what he will do in any given situation.
To me., he still seems to be a pretty darn good WR.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.