Rockmolder
6 years ago

If he had been drafted outside the top 10 I think most people would be calling it a good solid pick. The fact that everyone was expecting so much more out of him as a #5 overall pick is unfortunate for him.

Say what you will about his performance there were not many people who showed up and gave it their all like he did week after week and he took took it in the wallet a couple of times to stay in Green Bay.

Sure I would have liked to have seen a lot more out of him but I'm perfectly fine with the career he had here.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I never really get that sentiment. If he was drafted in the 7th round, people would've called it an amazing pick, but he wasn't. He was drafted at a prime spot for impact players and failed to deliver. He had a solid career, but didn't deliver what the Pack hoped to get out of him.

That said, I agree that he was a good player for the Packers. His production here throughout his GB career is impressive and well worthy of a retirement contract.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

I never really get that sentiment. If he was drafted in the 7th round, people would've called it an amazing pick, but he wasn't. He was drafted at a prime spot for impact players and failed to deliver. He had a solid career, but didn't deliver what the Pack hoped to get out of him.

That said, I agree that he was a good player for the Packers. His production here throughout his GB career is impressive and well worthy of a retirement contract.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I think 2006 was a weaker class than other years. If Hawk was in most other classes he wouldn't have been a "Top 10" candidate. Teddy went with the position of need instead of BPA. At the time I figured Hawk was a no lose pick. It was a safe pick.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
I never understand how anchoring the defense for 9 years, becoming the teams leading tackler in history, and being available for every game during his time on the team is failing to deliver.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Rockmolder
6 years ago

I never understand how anchoring the defense for 9 years, becoming the teams leading tackler in history, and being available for every game during his time on the team is failing to deliver.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Because when you buy an Audi at a cardealer for $40.000, you expect to get a high-end machine. If they then deliver a Suzuki SX4 to your house, you're going to be dissapointed regardless of how well it holds up for the car that it is.

Again, I'm not saying Hawk was a bad player. He was just a very average MLB/ILB. Dependable, with very few flashes of the guy he was at Ohio State, but a guy that did always play his heart out for us.

Also, I'm not that big a fan of longevity records.

With all due respect for Donald Driver, who was an excellent player and person, he's nowhere close to Sterling Sharpe or James Lofton in skill. A guy like Emmitt Smith looks average compared to Barry Sanders, skillwise.

A lack of longevity and availability is a big problem and there's something to be said about availability, but just being available is a feat a lot of players can do.
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago

Because when you buy an Audi at a cardealer for $40.000, you expect to get a high-end machine. If they then deliver a Suzuki SX4 to your house, you're going to be dissapointed regardless of how well it holds up for the car that it is.

Again, I'm not saying Hawk was a bad player. He was just a very average MLB/ILB. Dependable, with very few flashes of the guy he was at Ohio State, but a guy that did always play his heart out for us.

Also, I'm not that big a fan of longevity records.

With all due respect for Donald Driver, who was an excellent player and person, he's nowhere close to Sterling Sharpe or James Lofton in skill. A guy like Emmitt Smith looks average compared to Barry Sanders, skillwise.

A lack of longevity and availability is a big problem and there's something to be said about availability, but just being available is a feat a lot of players can do.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

He was exactly what he was portrayed as during that draft. The safest pick, the most NFL ready, Blue collar. Its the people who have inflated what the expectations were.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

He was exactly what he was portrayed as during that draft. The safest pick, the most NFL ready, Blue collar. Its the people who have inflated what the expectations were.

The inflation factor comes from where he was selected. People always hope that a #5 will be HoF- ish. If nothing else, the Hall of the pretty darn good. How many times did people complain that Hawk made the tackle but it was 6-7 yards down field? Some of that is on him and his pursuit angle. Some of it because he is a LBer not a DT.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago

The inflation factor comes from where he was selected. People always hope that a #5 will be HoF- ish. If nothing else, the Hall of the pretty darn good. How many times did people complain that Hawk made the tackle but it was 6-7 yards down field? Some of that is on him and his pursuit angle. Some of it because he is a LBer not a DT.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I see that but don't agree with the idea. Early in the draft like that, I see different types of players. We see players picked who are rough but have a high ceiling of potential, and we see players who are "NFL Ready". AJ was the nfl ready type. But it was also pretty well said that he wasn't going to be the guy who comes in and gets drastically better. Heck he wasn't even drafted to be the leader of the defense because we already had that in Nick Barnett. He ended up becoming that after changing defenses.
Rockmolder
6 years ago

There's no way on this earth that any general manager in the NFL would have pulled the trigger at 5th overall if the scouting report said that AJ Hawk would become what he eventually did become in the NFL. Especially not at the position he played.

I remember reading scouting reports about him being the best player in the draft after Reggie Bush. The safest pick to make the HOF. Okay, those were a bit overboard, but I certainly didn't see a single scouting report that Hawk would turn into way more of a reactionary player with seemingly lesser instinct than he had in college.

Hawk turned out to be a decent and dependable player, but I just can't see why anyone would think that we got what we expected at pick 5.

And if you mean scouts, GMs, fans and everyone else by the people, I very much agree with you, but I don't very much see your point. That's pretty much a statement that rings true of every single player ever drafted.

EDIT: I have a hard time finding proper scouting reports, but this article gives a decent feel for the opinion about Hawk at the time. 
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.