wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
Good choice. He's got some skills. I sure hope they don't try and put him on Julio without help over the top.
UserPostedImage
shield4life
6 years ago
I'm grateful we drafted a CB a most definite need on defense. I'm just hoping our defensive line and our linebackers take a step forward.

Lowry, Martinez, Ryan, Clark ... as if they can add that extra pressure on the QB then our CB won't get burned as often.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
shield4life
6 years ago
Damarious Randall
Quinten Rollins
Herb Waters
LaDarius Gunter
Josh Hawkins
Kevin King
Davon House

Maybe Richard Sherman too???? Just kidding ... lol I like the roster I just hope Randall & Rollins progress and not regress like last year.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
DoddPower
6 years ago

Damarious Randall
Quinten Rollins
Herb Waters
LaDarius Gunter
Josh Hawkins
Kevin King
Davon House

Maybe Richard Sherman too???? Just kidding ... lol I like the roster I just hope Randall & Rollins progress and not regress like last year.

Originally Posted by: shield4life 

I see a bunch of #2-3 cornerbacks, at best. The Packers are a long way from having a true #1. King may be that eventually, but I doubt it will be this year. Rollins, Randall, and Gunter certainly aren't. House could be in certain matchups, but definitely not others.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

I see a bunch of #2-3 cornerbacks, at best. The Packers are a long way from having a true #1. King may be that eventually, but I doubt it will be this year. Rollins, Randall, and Gunter certainly aren't. House could be in certain matchups, but definitely not others.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Hopefully this doesn't derail our topic here, but how many true number one's are there in the NFL? I can think of maybe 5 - 7, if that.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago
With his measurables, why was King not like the #3 pick?

Some say King is grabby, he is, but I like this. Some other time I’ll tell ya the story of another CB who was pretty grabby: Charles Woodson. All great CBs have 1 thing in common: they cheat. They get their hands on ya and it prevents the WR from cutting with explosion and takes .3 seconds off the WR’s 40. Of course, the key is to be more subtle. This King will learn subtly from the best.

King’s good, but he doesn’t mirror as well as Randall did as a senior; though he did make a stunning improvement from his Jr to Sr year. As a Jr he played mostly slot and based on that tape he’s a third day pick at best. If he makes the same jump as a rookie; he’ll be a productive starting caliber in 2017.

All rookies need to improve, even #1 Myles Garrett, or they’re out of the league. Ted did not see King as a super learner, he saw him as just one of a tier of guys. If King was special Ted would have picked him at #29. Actually, he would have had to trade up in front of Dallas, Seattle and Buffalo [3 CB desperate teams]. So Ted was fine w/ losing King at #29 [or Watt or Ramcyk] and moving back 4 spots knowing a player just as qualified would be at #33. Seattle absolutely desperate at CB had 2 shots at King and passed.

Another weakness for King is he’s pretty bad at getting a jam. Unable to jam Fr. Demetrius Robertson from Cal at 1:49 in 1st Q, led to his longest catch of year as he blew right by King. Though Robertson was the best Fr receiver in country and ran a 4.34 at his Nike camp.

In illustrating another non-strength the long play was set-up nicely at 8:30 1Q. Robertson ran a fly, got King’s hips turned, stopped for come backer and King ended up 7 yards away from Robertson at catch. At 10:58 2Q Robertson got King’s hips turned and he ran an out; King responded soso well as Robertson was only open by 2 yards. King’s under 4.0 on short shuttle and 3 cone under 7.0, indicates fluid turning; but these #’s doesn’t translate in his play. King stops and turns more like the Edmund Fitzgerald than a jetski. Humm, the Fitzgerald didn’t end to well; so let’s change that to an aircraft carrier the USS Carl Vinson. Heck, that one could end with King never seeing an NFL snap as the world is plunged into Nuclear Winter, this fall. Let’s just say he stops, starts and turns more like a random big ocean liner that has had no epic trouble.

This positive side of this is that his numbers show his problems are more about mentally processing the game faster as opposed to physical limitations.

After watching most of his games; it appears he doesn’t have that real good “closing speed,” but that is a misnomer. Closing speed has little to do with speed, because all CBs are fast [Some say a 4.55 is slow, but it is FAST, if you don’t think so, time yourself running a 40 LOL]. Closing speed is about anticipation and making the decision to break a split second earlier. This “instinct” is honed through quality reps, mental reflection on those reps and quality watching of more game film than Trump watches Fox News. Of course, playing faster is what will help him track better as receivers make their moves.

He’s a very willing and okay tackler, and not bad for a CB; but sticks his head in on the tackles too much. You may remember Shields doing this way too much [Shields don’t remember because of his concussions].

Prospects for King’s improvement in playing faster and technique are muted a bit by the fact his DB coach at Washington was Jimmy Lake, who was DB coach in Detroit [2008] and Tampa Bay [2010-11]. He was a lousy pro DB coach; but a pro DB coach nonetheless. King has been exposed to advanced CB technique and the coaching has not fully taken. But, his experience and physical maturing provides hope for the future.

As a HS Sr, King was 6’1 and change and ran a 4.67 40, so he’s grown/matured quite a bit in college. If he gets good Uffda will no doubt scream steroids. 4.67 to 4.42, obviously it could never be his maturing a bit late and being subjected to Washington’s training program. Also, he was a Safety as Fr and So; slot CB as Jr and only played boundary for 1 year. If King played 4 years on boundary I’d be much less sure of his ability to improve further. King’s filling out via Washington’s excellent training programs was undermined by King’s growing of 1.5 inches while there. He’s a weakling and has some filling out to do, more than Randall or the average late 1 type pick. In GB, he will get stronger and fill out some by September, but a whole lot by next season. By becoming more physically powerful he’ll improve at the jam and redirecting/slowing receivers with more subtle touches of the hand. Plus, he’s only been able to apply his boundary techniques for 1 year, so this will get better. And his focus will naturally improve. In College he didn’t need perfect technique to stay with most receivers and often when burned the QBs would miss. In NFL if he doesn’t use perfect technique every time his back will show up on highlight films all over the world.

I don’t think he was as polished as Randall was at this juncture and don’t think he’ll start until late in year at best. Some say he doesn’t play a fast as he timed, I disa100%agree. He runs on field up to his timed speed; he just isn’t playing as fast mentally as he will. He only looks slower because his technique is mediocre and it prevents him from coming out of breaks explosively and the WRs look faster because of his poor use of hand techniques to subtly to slow/redirect WRs and using power to jam.

What he is good at is making is making plays on the ball, at the highest point, with his exceptional height and leaping ability. Oh, if we only had him in the days of Randy Moss. Early in the year I see him in some red zone packages. He doesn’t have to worry about a guy getting behind him for 70; throwing those corner fades against our D just got a lot tougher.
isocleas2
6 years ago

I'm not ready to concede Rollins/Randall are limited to being only #2-3 CBs. Davante Adams struggled through injuries and slower development, many people on this board we're ready to cut him without a second thought. In retrospect how foolish of a mistake would that have been?

Given Rollins/Randall a chance and they may surprise you.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

King is the beginning of the end for Randall-Rollins. Poor choices. Teddy did the unorthodox gamble not once but twice at the top of the 2015 draft. I could have taken it once in a draft but two was a bit much. 4th round or later- fine. They should take another CB high next year too.

Hopefully this doesn't derail our topic here, but how many true number one's are there in the NFL? I can think of maybe 5 - 7, if that.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Doesn't mean you can be one of the 5-7 teams.

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
6 years ago

I'm not ready to concede Rollins/Randall are limited to being only #2-3 CBs. Davante Adams struggled through injuries and slower development, many people on this board we're ready to cut him without a second thought. In retrospect how foolish of a mistake would that have been?

Given Rollins/Randall a chance and they may surprise you.

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

I don't want to cut them, but I don't think they will ever be good corners. Maybe safeties?
Bigbyfan
6 years ago
I haven't given up hope on Randall and Rollins yet. They both played relatively well their rookie season. Last year they both got injured and were never given enough time to properly heal due to our lack of CB depth.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (2h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (23h) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.