wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
For those of you who like to play with depth charts here you go.

APC tries to break down the Packers’ roster into full first, second, and third units now that we have a mostly clear picture of the 90-man roster. The Green Bay Packers ’ 2017 draft class is set, and the team’s first set of undrafted free agent signings have been widely reported by this point. With the 90-man roster finally nearing 90 players, we at Acme Packing Company have worked up a depth chart for the team as we see it shaping up for the offseason workouts, including OTAs and Minicamp.
In this exercise, we are setting up a “first-team/second-team” type of depth chart, in which we identify entire units rather than name the next player up at each position. They are different exercises and ultimately illustrate different ways of looking at the roster.
This approach is perhaps best illustrated by looking at the offensive line. While Jason Spriggs may be the first man off the bench if either starting tackle goes down, he can only occupy one spot on our second-team line, and so we put him at left tackle with Kyle Murphy  on the right side. The same goes for Don Barclay  at guard behind Lane Taylor  or Jahri Evans , and so on.
Note that in all cases, players in bold are rookie draft picks, while bold and italic indicates rookie free agents.
Here’s how we set up the depth chart on offense:

Much of this is pretty straightforward. The offensive line shakes out pretty easily as far as the second-team goes, with Spriggs and Murphy  taking the tackle spots. The receivers were a bit tougher to define, but we feel that currently Jeff Janis  would occupy the slot, as he has run a number of routes from there in previous preseasons. Of course, the Packers are likely to use any of their receivers, tight ends, and even Ty Montgomery  in the slot, which makes that a tough assignment.
On the third team, Yancey seems to have the perfect body type for the Packers’ split end - good height with some thickness and strength that calls to mind James Jones . That suggests that Malachi Dupre  would line up at flanker, which would suit him better since his scouting reports suggest that he struggles against press coverage. Getting him off the line of scrimmage just a bit should help with that.
The defense is a bit of a tougher nut to crack, however. For one thing, players on defense tend to align in much more varied roles and locations than offensive players do. Morgan Burnett  can be found manning the strong safety, slot corner, and inside linebacker positions on any given snap, while Clay Matthews  can be found at inside or outside linebacker.
Here, I tried to project two sets of alignments - one being a 3-man line and one being a five-man secondary when the Packers line up in their modern base formation, the 2-4-5 nickel. This reflects how those two units would likely set up on a first unit/second unit basis. Again, note that this does not reflect how the players will be used particularly well, as Matthews and Burnett would likely play inside linebacker at times, with Vince Biegel  and either Kentrell Brice  or Josh Jones  being their most likely replacements, respectively.
The secondary was the toughest thing to project, however. Right now, when the team lines up with five DBs, we believe that Kevin King  will be one of the top two boundary cornerbacks, with Damarious Randall  as the primary option in the slot. Once again, Burnett or Jones  could be options there if the Packers decide to go with a “big nickel” with three safeties instead of three corners, and in that case it would probably be Randall  who mans the outside opposite House rather than King .
One other note: we did not currently include Demetri Goodson  on the depth chart due to the torn knee ligaments he suffered during the 2016 season.

On special teams, the roles are easy to define for the most part. Montgomery  and Janis took the most kickoff returns last season, but with #88 starting at running back we’re betting that he gets a break in that department in favor of Janis or Trevor Davis. On punts, Davis had the most returns by a player not named Micah Hyde , but Cobb is still the most proven veteran option and he took a handful of returns late in the season. Among the rookies, only UDFA Montay Crockett  has any notable return experience in college, but his 4.39 40-yard dash and 6.82 3-cone give him some intriguing athletic qualities for those spots.

[/URL]      

Continue Reading @ [url=http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/5/3/15520274/packers-projected-depth-chart-post-2017-nfl-draft-edition]Evan "Tex" Western 

Evan "Tex" Western wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
The charts for the link:

Packers Offense Depth Chart
Position	1st team	2nd team	3rd team	Reserves
QB	Aaron Rodgers	Brett Hundley	Joe Callahan	Taysom Hill
RB	Ty Montgomery	Jamaal Williams	Aaron Jones	Devante Mays
FB	Aaron Ripkowski	Joe Kerridge		
WR (X)	Davante Adams	Geronimo Allison	DeAngelo Yancey	Max McCaffrey
WR (Y)	Jordy Nelson	Trevor Davis	Malachi Dupre	
WR (Slot)	Randall Cobb	Jeff Janis	Antwan Goodley	Montay Crockett
TE	Martellus Bennett	Lance Kendricks	Richard Rodgers	Beau Sandland
LT	David Bakhtiari	Jason Spriggs	Geoff Gray	
LG	Lane Taylor	Lucas Patrick	Kofi Amichia	
C	Corey Linsley	Jacob Flores	Thomas Evans	
RG	Jahri Evans	Don Barclay	Justin McCray	Adam Pankey
RT	Bryan Bulaga	Kyle Murphy	Christian Schneider	

Packers Defense Depth Chart
Position	1st team	2nd team	3rd team	Reserves
5T	Ricky Jean-Francois	Dean Lowry	Montravius Adams	Izaah Lunsford
NT	Kenny Clark	Letroy Guion	Brian Price	
3T	Mike Daniels	Christian Ringo	Imarjaye Albury	
LOLB	Nick Perry	Jayrone Elliott	Reggie Gilbert	
ILB	Jake Ryan	Jordan Tripp	Cody Heiman	
ILB	Joe Thomas	Blake Martinez	Derrick Mathews	
ROLB	Clay Matthews	Vince Biegel	Kyler Fackrell	
LCB	Davon House	Josh Hawkins	Herb Waters	Donatello Brown
SS	Morgan Burnett	Kentrell Brice	Marwin Evans	
FS	Ha Ha Clinton-Dix	Josh Jones	Jermaine Whitehead	
RCB	Kevin King	LaDarius Gunter	David Rivers	
Slot CB	Damarious Randall	Quinten Rollins	Lenzy Pipkins

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.