wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

In a letter published Friday in the Cincinnati Enquirer, Bengals owner and president Mike Brown addressed why the team drafted Joe Mixon, writing the "risk has an upside as well as a downside" despite the "terrible thing" Mixon did in college.

The controversial running back, who was the subject of national attention after he was shown punching and knocking out a woman on camera, was drafted by the Bengals at No. 48 overall in the second round of the NFL draft last week. Mixon was pegged by many draft analysts to be a Day 2 pick despite questions about his character following the incident, which occurred in July 2014 prior to his freshman season at Oklahoma.

Brown's letter comes three days after a Cincinnati-based advocacy group called on the Bengals to take a stand against domestic violence and sexual assault.

"We expect businesses in our great city, and this includes sports teams, to place a high value on speaking out against both domestic violence and sexual assault," Kristin Smith-Shrimplin, president and CEO of Women Helping Women, told The Associated Press.

Oklahoma suspended Mixon for a season for punching Amelia Molitor, a fellow Oklahoma student, after a brief confrontation at a restaurant. Molitor suffered fractured bones in her face, according to The Associated Press. Video of the incident wasn't made public until after a judge ordered the release of security videos in December 2016.

Mixon, 20, completed one year of probation, 100 hours of community service and behavioral counseling as part of a plea agreement to a misdemeanor assault charge, according to court records. Last week, a settlement was reached in the civil lawsuit Molitor filed against Mixon, according to the Associated Press. The terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

"This is definitely going to be attached to my name the rest of my life and the end of the day I'm going to do whatever I can to move forward and move past it," Mixon told NFL Network's Judy Battista last week after being drafted. "Just keep playing and I look forward to having a great career here and being the best teammate and person possible."

I am reluctant to post this because I am sure it is doomed to fall into the political rhetoric abyss.

But I have to ask, is it fair for groups such as the domestic violence group in Cincinnati to protest his signing with the Bengals?

Apparently Molitor struck Mixon first. If Mixon would have slapped her back instead of punching her that would have changed things for some people. I have seen women strike first or do something hoping to provoke an attack on many occasions. It doesn't make it right to hit back but there seems to be very little a man can do to defuse a situation if a woman is bent on being the aggressor.

It isn't the same thing at all but when kidding around how many times have you seen a woman playfully slap at a man hitting them on the hand, arm or shoulder? I look at them and tell them that's assault. A man could never strike a woman even in jest. I get an awful lot of surprised looks. Followed by, that didn't hurt or that they we just kidding. I smile and say that I know but I can't do it to you.

I find it interesting that Molitor filed suit 3 days before the 2 year statute of limitation ran out. I am sure it was a coincidence. It took time to find the right attorney, have the lawyer do all the hours and hours of exhausting research, fill out all those legal documents and then travel all the way to the courthouse in Norman, Oklahoma. What? She didn't file suit in the city or the state where the assault took place? She filed in California? How is that even possible? Stupid legal system. If Mixon was just the run of the mill guy she probably wouldn't have done anything. But since it looked like he would be in the NFL someday, she got her papers filed just in time.

Does it matter that he was 18 years old and stupid? 2 days earlier he would have still been a minor. I don't think he grew wiser in 2 days. I am sure he is wiser today.

NFL reporter, Judy Battista says that he is saying and doing the right things after the incident but the meter maid incident in 2016 makes me wonder.

I wouldn't have minded if GB drafted Mixon. Based on who we got in the 2nd round they wouldn't have been able to get him until the 3rd round and a lot of other teams would have been in line behind Cincy.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
It's NEVER right to strike a woman.....EXCEPT if she is literally beating the crap out of you, and you have no choice but to defend yourself.
It's also true that some women use the fact that they are a woman to use violence, knowing there is little chance of them being held accountable.
It's never acceptable for ANYONE to use violence as an answer. Not man or woman.

I also think there is a large chance that this woman is trying to strike it big money wise, against an NFL player. BIG payday to get her to "settle".
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
Was the same with Ray Rice, she hit him first in that case also. It should be assault either way, whether man hitting woman or woman hitting man. If these groups like the one in this article are really serious about being against domestic violence, they need to be against it when woman commit it also. Just wait, it won't be long before we end up with cases dealing with transgender and that will really throw a wrench in.

I also think people miss the opportunity to use the incident positively. If he disappeared, so does the story. As long as he is in the public eye, domestic abuse can be discussed.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Was the same with Ray Rice, she hit him first in that case also. It should be assault either way, whether man hitting woman or woman hitting man. If these groups like the one in this article are really serious about being against domestic violence, they need to be against it when woman commit it also. Just wait, it won't be long before we end up with cases dealing with transgender and that will really throw a wrench in.

I also think people miss the opportunity to use the incident positively. If he disappeared, so does the story. As long as he is in the public eye, domestic abuse can be discussed.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I was thinking of Ray's situation when I posted this.

I can speak for any other state but in IL the women's group come to the police station and audit the call reports.

My ex S-I-L use to get right in my brother's face and scream at him. Spit flying. If he would have done anything like push her shoulders so she wasn't so close she would have called the cops. He knew the game so he didn't bite, most of the time. Once when he tried to get past her in the doorway he bumped her. She laughed all the way to the phone. Then acted afraid and hurt when talking to the police.
Certainly 95% of the time it is the woman who needs protection but society doesn't care about the other 5% when they instigate it.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
6 years ago

It's NEVER right to strike a woman.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Why? What is so special about having a vagina that it makes someone immune from the normal rules of human interaction? Why must a man wait until he is literally in danger of losing his life to defend himself?

Don't say "because women are weaker" because a) that's sexist and not always true; and b) if a weaker individual is stupid enough to instigate a physical altercation, he or she probably deserves to have the shit beat out of them. It's a good life lesson to learn.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

Why? What is so special about having a vagina that it makes someone immune from the normal rules of human interaction? Why must a man wait until he is literally in danger of losing his life to defend himself?

Don't say "because women are weaker" because a) that's sexist and not always true; and b) if a weaker individual is stupid enough to instigate a physical altercation, he or she probably deserves to have the shit beat out of them. It's a good life lesson to learn.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

When people say men are stronger, they are saying in general and not absolutely 1:1 and you know it, stop it. If men and women were physically equal, we wouldn't have Men and Women sports for example.

So, what is so special about women they can't be hit? I don't know if I have the answer to that because I was raised as such. Although, maybe it's the size difference? I always felt I shouldn't throw a punch at someone significantly smaller than me, unless I was left with no other option. I'm not the biggest dude, so that really only applies to some women.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Why didn't you post my WHOLE post? Did I not say it was NEVER acceptable for ANY person to use violence? You took what I said out of context. That's NOT cool.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
A man can defend himself, as I stated before.
NO ONE should hit anyone. Man OR woman.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.