Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sschind  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:47:16 AM(UTC)
from Lance Zierlien NFL.com

Devante Mays, RB, Green Bay Packers
Picked: Round 7, No. 238 overall
Mays is stepping into a running back situation that couldn't benefit him more as a late-rounder. With Ty Montgomery as the lead back, the Packers clearly had to replenish their depth at the position and they did that by drafting Jamaal Williams (fourth round), Aaron Jones (fifth round) and Mays (seventh round). To me, Mays has the highest upside of the three backs. Mays is built like a truck and possesses a 40.5-inch vertical leap. He's more athletic than Williams and much more powerful than Jones. If Mays had made more than 37 carries this season (injury-riddled season), he might have gone ahead of both of his new teammates.

linkhttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/0...eed-expectations-in-2017

Maybe we got a couple of diamonds at the skill positions in the 7th round.
Barfarn  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:20:29 AM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
Maybe we got a couple of diamonds at the skill positions in the 7th round.

Maybe we got some diamonds; which means maybe not? Huh!RollEyes

Thanks for bringing that to our attention, but this is truly a Capt Obvious moment. I could have told you that just by knowing they were drafted in the 7th rnd.Zipping Mouth Zipping Mouth Zipping Mouth Zipping Mouth Zipping Mouth

Now maybe if you spoke of some of his traits or something in his past or something he did in a play or 2 to add depth and body and meaning to the idea that maybe a 7th round pick might be diamond, there's be something to discuss here. Otherwise Face Palm.

Damn I'm a funny guy...LOL LOL
buckeyepackfan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:21:31 AM(UTC)
Looking forward to the preseason games this year for this very reason.

The battle for the rb position is going to be fierce.

The Packers have to replace Lacy, Starks and probably one more spot which saw Jackson, Michaels and ??? (Was that all?).

Keep an eye out for a fourth guy.
#34 Kalif Phillips.
Udfa out of Charlotte.
5-9 218#.

Jeff Mullen was his HC at Charlotte, Mullen just happens to be from Lima, I have worked with his father for several years.

He is excited for the chance Kalif has.

Of the 5 new rb's , I think 3 will make the final 53 with 1 more going to the PS.

Going to be fun to watch it all work itself out.
Smokey  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:54:38 AM(UTC)
The Packers will (if nothing changes) have 12 draft picks in the 2018 NFL Draft. I just hope they are not mostly 6th and 7th round picks. Glare
yooperfan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 12:28:57 PM(UTC)
It chills my heart when I hear that one of the Packers draft picks had a "mostly injury riddled" last season in college whether it's a first round pick (Harrell) or a seventh round pick (Mays).
But I guess Starks kind of worked out.
sschind  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 8:16:08 AM(UTC)
yooperfan said: Go to Quoted Post
It chills my heart when I hear that one of the Packers draft picks had a "mostly injury riddled" last season in college whether it's a first round pick (Harrell) or a seventh round pick (Mays).

I hear you, it's certainly a reason for concern. The bright side would be looking at it like we got a player who had higher round talent so IF he stays injury free maybe we did get a steal. If not we got 2 other RBs and according to Buckeye maybe even a third.

beast  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 1, 2017 7:01:37 AM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
from Lance Zierlien NFL.com

Devante Mays... is built like a truck and possesses a 40.5-inch vertical leap. He's more athletic than Williams and much more powerful than Jones.

Yeah I really liked the film of Mays from two years ago... his biggest negative seemed to be that he needed room to get started, as he needs time to build up his speed/quickness/power because he doesn't have them from a stance still position.... but if you can give him enough room to get feet moving then he can move surprisingly well for big RB and while I still don't think his power is great... he knows how to bulldoze a DB to fall forward or maybe even break the tackle.

Last year Mays was basically injured, which killed his draft stock and the reason he fell to the 7th.

The other two RBs don't need as much room to build up their strength and have it ready to go with one or two steps, but they're limited in that they either only have the power (RB Williams) or the extra quickness/speed (RB Jones) and not both. Just to be clear, Williams has some good short area quickness too, but Jones and Mays have long area quickness (at least once Mays gets started).
wpr  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:21:14 AM(UTC)
yooperfan said: Go to Quoted Post

If GB is going to take a flyer on an injury prone player I prefer it be in the 7th round not the first 3 rounds.
buckeyepackfan  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 6:22:23 AM(UTC)
The more I hear about Malachi Dupree, the more I think he could be the steal of the draft

When the vets are impressed with his play study and his work habits, it says a lot.

Going to be some fierce competition for those last 2 we spots!
warhawk  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:17:05 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post
The more I hear about Malachi Dupree, the more I think he could be the steal of the draft

When the vets are impressed with his play study and his work habits, it says a lot.

Going to be some fierce competition for those last 2 we spots!

I know this much. He didn't have a QB to throw to him while at LSU. Not being able to recruit a QB cost a pretty darn good coach his job. LSU also had one of the best RB's in college football while Malachi was there and without a QB that could get him the ball it's no wonder he didn't put up the numbers to match his talent level going into college.
Smokey  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 10:56:45 AM(UTC)
"Late round picks likely to exceed expectations ."

Anything is possible , but likely ?

It is admirable to want to be optimistic and to hope for more than is usual , but reality will set in as the team trims down to just 53 players .

Cheers!
Rss Feed