wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

The Green Bay Packers' high-powered offense will have a fresh look with arguably the best tight end corps in the NFL.

Continue Reading @ Bill Huber 

Bill Huber wrote:

Even with all the new players I don't see GB making any significant move away from a 3 WR formation. Granted down and distance and field location will be a factor but for the most part Mike will not want to go to a 2 WR with 2 TE and a RB or 1 TE a FB and RB very often. By doing so he will not have his best payers on the field.
UserPostedImage
sschind
6 years ago

Even with all the new players I don't see GB making any significant move away from a 3 WR formation. Granted down and distance and field location will be a factor but for the most part Mike will not want to go to a 2 WR with 2 TE and a RB or 1 TE a FB and RB very often. By doing so he will not have his best payers on the field.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I agree. Everyone makes such a big deal out of McCarthy and his love of the TE and they see lots of 2 TE sets in the future with Bennett and Kendricks but the strength of this offense is still Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball to his WRs. I think the addition of Bennett was huge but I don't see the addition of Kendricks as a particular sign that they are going to line up 2 TEs a significant amount of the time. Bennett could very well end up third (perhaps even 2nd but I doubt it) on the team in receiving but I doubt Kendricks will provide much in the over all numbers. His contributions may be significant in certain situations but with Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Bennett and Montgomery I don't think there will be a lot of targets left over for him when he will have to share with the likes of Allison, Davis and the rookies (both RBS and WRs)

What concerns me the most is Huber didn't mention Jeff Janis at all.
gbguy20
6 years ago
Janis is garbage according to everyone but the posters here
nerdmann
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Are Nelson and Cobb really still among the best players? That has yet to be demonstrated. Davante needs to show he's still the real deal too. I'd like to see some year to year consistency there. Not to jinx anyone, of course.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
We will have 2 TE on the field very often, just with one split out not inline.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
6 years ago

We will have 2 TE on the field very often, just with one split out not inline.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Exactly,

Bennett and Kendrick might both be split out on the same play depending on the defense. I also don't doubt seeing Kendricks, Rodgers, or Bennett Line up in the backfield some plays. The tight end group might put an end to Joe Kerridge's time on the roster.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Are Nelson and Cobb really still among the best players? That has yet to be demonstrated. Davante needs to show he's still the real deal too. I'd like to see some year to year consistency there. Not to jinx anyone, of course.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Receptions: Nelson 97, Adams 75, Cobb 60.
Yards: Nelson 1257, Adams 997, Cobb 610.
Avg: Nelson 13.0, Adams 13.3, Cobb 10.2. (Cook 12.6)
TDs: Nelson 14, Adams 12, Cobb 4.
YAC: Nelson 356, Adams 389, Cobb 366.
20+ Nelson 19, Adams 17, Cobb 7.

So the answer is yes they are still among the best players on the team. Maybe Ty and/or Bennett will factor in but no one can say with any absolute assurity at this point in the non season they will be.

UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago
One thing lining up 2 good receiving/blocking TEs with Monty [or Cobb at RB] can do is exploit mismatches.

If the D reacts with base; GB can go 4 or 5 wide.
If the D goes nickle and dime, they can be run over the D as if they got 7 OLmen. When a safety comes up in the box and the deep shell is pressured by deep routes and LBs are leaning forward to stop the run, all kinds of underneath stuff will be open.

Showing a strong 2 TE game forces next week's defensive coordinator, with very limited practice time under the current CBA, to almost double the amount of material to prepare for.

The idea that Adams, Cobb and Adams will be healthy for 16 games is slim. If one or more are injured or not 100%, then the 2nd TE will be keeping only an Allison, Davis type off the field.
Smokey
6 years ago
Coach McCarthy and his Staff have known for some time, thankfully , that TE's would play a larger role in 2017. As a result , IMO , the current GB Playbook will reflect those improvements. With success always the primary goal, I feel sure that many hours were spent watching and diagramming the best 2 TE plays from teams that have had success with it, like NE .

Dropping ineffective plays from the playbook is also a part of the off-season workload. The "1st edition" of the new Packer Playbook will I feel evolve as the Head Coach and his Staff evaluate the potential new roster. The Basic foundation plays are a good place to begin teaching players the GB System. The basics in practice will still teach blocking skills, running routes , tackling, etc.

I believe the GB Offense for 2017 will be an ongoing process until a few weeks into the Regular Season . Discoveries of unique talents will add minor improvements that will shape this seasons team . [biggrin]

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.