wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

The Green Bay Packers' high-powered offense will have a fresh look with arguably the best tight end corps in the NFL.

Continue Reading @ Bill Huber 

Bill Huber wrote:

Even with all the new players I don't see GB making any significant move away from a 3 WR formation. Granted down and distance and field location will be a factor but for the most part Mike will not want to go to a 2 WR with 2 TE and a RB or 1 TE a FB and RB very often. By doing so he will not have his best payers on the field.
UserPostedImage
sschind
6 years ago

Even with all the new players I don't see GB making any significant move away from a 3 WR formation. Granted down and distance and field location will be a factor but for the most part Mike will not want to go to a 2 WR with 2 TE and a RB or 1 TE a FB and RB very often. By doing so he will not have his best payers on the field.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I agree. Everyone makes such a big deal out of McCarthy and his love of the TE and they see lots of 2 TE sets in the future with Bennett and Kendricks but the strength of this offense is still Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball to his WRs. I think the addition of Bennett was huge but I don't see the addition of Kendricks as a particular sign that they are going to line up 2 TEs a significant amount of the time. Bennett could very well end up third (perhaps even 2nd but I doubt it) on the team in receiving but I doubt Kendricks will provide much in the over all numbers. His contributions may be significant in certain situations but with Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Bennett and Montgomery I don't think there will be a lot of targets left over for him when he will have to share with the likes of Allison, Davis and the rookies (both RBS and WRs)

What concerns me the most is Huber didn't mention Jeff Janis at all.
gbguy20
6 years ago
Janis is garbage according to everyone but the posters here
nerdmann
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Are Nelson and Cobb really still among the best players? That has yet to be demonstrated. Davante needs to show he's still the real deal too. I'd like to see some year to year consistency there. Not to jinx anyone, of course.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
We will have 2 TE on the field very often, just with one split out not inline.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
6 years ago

We will have 2 TE on the field very often, just with one split out not inline.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Exactly,

Bennett and Kendrick might both be split out on the same play depending on the defense. I also don't doubt seeing Kendricks, Rodgers, or Bennett Line up in the backfield some plays. The tight end group might put an end to Joe Kerridge's time on the roster.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Are Nelson and Cobb really still among the best players? That has yet to be demonstrated. Davante needs to show he's still the real deal too. I'd like to see some year to year consistency there. Not to jinx anyone, of course.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Receptions: Nelson 97, Adams 75, Cobb 60.
Yards: Nelson 1257, Adams 997, Cobb 610.
Avg: Nelson 13.0, Adams 13.3, Cobb 10.2. (Cook 12.6)
TDs: Nelson 14, Adams 12, Cobb 4.
YAC: Nelson 356, Adams 389, Cobb 366.
20+ Nelson 19, Adams 17, Cobb 7.

So the answer is yes they are still among the best players on the team. Maybe Ty and/or Bennett will factor in but no one can say with any absolute assurity at this point in the non season they will be.

UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago
One thing lining up 2 good receiving/blocking TEs with Monty [or Cobb at RB] can do is exploit mismatches.

If the D reacts with base; GB can go 4 or 5 wide.
If the D goes nickle and dime, they can be run over the D as if they got 7 OLmen. When a safety comes up in the box and the deep shell is pressured by deep routes and LBs are leaning forward to stop the run, all kinds of underneath stuff will be open.

Showing a strong 2 TE game forces next week's defensive coordinator, with very limited practice time under the current CBA, to almost double the amount of material to prepare for.

The idea that Adams, Cobb and Adams will be healthy for 16 games is slim. If one or more are injured or not 100%, then the 2nd TE will be keeping only an Allison, Davis type off the field.
Smokey
6 years ago
Coach McCarthy and his Staff have known for some time, thankfully , that TE's would play a larger role in 2017. As a result , IMO , the current GB Playbook will reflect those improvements. With success always the primary goal, I feel sure that many hours were spent watching and diagramming the best 2 TE plays from teams that have had success with it, like NE .

Dropping ineffective plays from the playbook is also a part of the off-season workload. The "1st edition" of the new Packer Playbook will I feel evolve as the Head Coach and his Staff evaluate the potential new roster. The Basic foundation plays are a good place to begin teaching players the GB System. The basics in practice will still teach blocking skills, running routes , tackling, etc.

I believe the GB Offense for 2017 will be an ongoing process until a few weeks into the Regular Season . Discoveries of unique talents will add minor improvements that will shape this seasons team . [biggrin]

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.