wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Don Barclay. Raymond T. Rivard photograph' /> Don Barclay has had his ups and downs with the Green Bay Packers and his inconsistency has left him continuing to have to prove himself. Why is Don Barclay still a member of the Green Bay Packers? First off, he is under contract ... and with a very

Continue Reading @ LombardiAve 

LombardiAve wrote:

I don't mind him being a part of the 90 but please let somebody, anybody replace Barclay on the roster.
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago
Before the knee injury I liked Barclay a lot, he played out of position at OT and did better than I thought he would, especially the year he started at RT. I thought he would make a good long term starting OG. But he just hasn't quite been the same injury.

Sometimes it takes guys two or three years to bounce back from knee injuries but it's starting to look like this season or not gonna happen with the Packers. As the Packers drafted another guy that has played center in the past. I'm not sure if the rookie will be ready year one, but he could be the backup Center in year 2.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
6 years ago
I've got no problem keeping Donnie on this roster for at least one more year until we know what we've got with a couple of the newer guys.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DakotaT
6 years ago
Barclay is a versatile, utility backup lineman. Guys like that always have a place on the roster. Better question is why hasn't anybody beat him out in training if he's so bad?
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
For what he is being paid there is no reason to get rid of him until somebody beats him out for the spot. With some of the youth on the oline I would be surprised if he makes the final cut this year.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
Don't think Barclay is going anywhere.
Worked at C with the starters last week
Can play either G position.
I think he has been unfairly judged when he came back from injury and had to fill in a T
He wasn't fully recovered.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Smokey
6 years ago
Don Barclay will never likely be voted to a pro-bowl team, but I must admire his will to succeed . He made his way onto GB's roster as an undrafted free agent in 2012. He must have impressed the coaches to make his 1st GB roster. In his 3rd season, he started 14 games.

Yes, he did injure his knee, but has battled back from it. If he makes the 2017 roster, he will enter his 6th season and be under age 30 too.

I don't see Barclay as a starter, but he has demonstrated that he has the versatility to fill in at the G or T positions without worrying the coaches weather he knows the system. If another player can push him to the bench in training camp , then GB reaps the benefit.

I trust Coach McCarthy and his Staff to pick the best players from those that they are supplied with.

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

Don't think Barclay is going anywhere.
Worked at C with the starters last week
Can play either G position.
I think he has been unfairly judged when he came back from injury and had to fill in a T
He wasn't fully recovered.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Also in my honestly opinion, he should of never been at OT to start with... he simply doesn't have the feet quickness for it, though I have to admit, for considering how slow his feet are... he played GREAT at RT that one year (admittedly with LOTS AND LOTS of outside chip block help to protect him against outside speed rushers).

I believe that version of Barclay could of been a darn good starting OG... not to the level of Sitton and Lang, but still a good starter. But he just hasn't quite seem the same since that injury he had.

Teams normally active 7 OL for game day (sometimes 😎, and I believe as of right now (before training camp shakes things up) Barclay is the top back-up in the middle... this is assuming Evans is the starter at RG at the moment before the camp battle.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
6 years ago
Dude built a career on that fake FG that Jeff Thomason ran in from 35 yards for a TD that year against the Bares. Got it done at LT for a short period of time, but hasn't been the same since busting up his knee.

If the dude can back up Linsley at C, he makes the team.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
6 years ago

Dude built a career on that fake FG that Jeff Thomason ran in from 35 yards for a TD that year against the Bares. Got it done at LT for a short period of time, but hasn't been the same since busting up his knee.

If the dude can back up Linsley at C, he makes the team.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I think Barclay built a career on toughness, physicalness and versatility not one play. Barclay strength was that once he squared up and got his hands on you, you were done, because you weren't going through him. You might be able to go around him, but once he squarely got his hands on you, it was also hard to disengage. Also he got it done at RT, not LT.
Mike McCarthy has said he saw Tretter and Barclay as starters even though that they weren't starting. Mike McCarthy has seemed to believe that they could be good starters. Which is more interesting with reports that he was rotating in with the #1 OL unit.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.