Zero2Cool
6 years ago
Derek Carr just inked a contract worth $125 over five years, or something like that. I don't know the guaranteed money.

I bring this up because other QB's are paid more than Aaron Rodgers and I've heard folks like Mike Florio bash Aaron Rodgers for signing a "bad" deal when he re-signed/extended.

Bullshit.

Why do we just assume everyone is about the money? Maybe Aaron Rodgers is smart enough to know if he has 40% of the salary cap, the team will be hamstrung and he'll have less help?

There are 13 QB's who have a higher base salary  for 2017 than Rodgers. The number one, Kirk Cousins is nearly doubled Rodgers. WHO CARES?!?!

I respect Rodgers more for not (at least publicly) whining about his salary. I don't think his deal was bad when he signed it, nor do I think it's bad now. Yes, he is easily top three QB in the league, but if he's ok not being the top paid player in the NFL ... I respect him more for that and as a fan, appreciate it too.

Some would say Rodgers should be in the first wave. But here’s the rub: He doesn’t seem to be inclined to complain about his current contract, even though he’s woefully underpaid. It’s the Jo(h)n Voight Phenomenon; Rodgers did a bad deal, committing himself for seven full seasons in 2013 without accounting for potential spikes in the salary cap. As a result, his aging $22 million-per-year contract doesn’t compare well to new Derek Carr’s $25 million annual deal.

In March, as rumors and reports grew that the Bears would be giving Mike Glennon $15 million or more per year in free agency, Rodgers said as to whether this would compel contract talks for him, “I think it has to.” In response to the PFT item on the issue, Rodgers downplayed the obvious implications of his words and brushed our interpretation off as “#fakenews.”

Interpretation of the reaction to the interpretation? He plans to keep driving the LeBaron once owned by Jon Voight the actor, resisting any and all suggestions that it was actually owned by John Voight the periodontist.

Continue Reading @ Mike Florio 

Mike Florio wrote:

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

I think it all depends on what you're setting the bar too...

If the bar is grinding out every single dollar you can and trying to hold your team hostage like Kirk Cousins is doing, then yes, it's bad... but that CLEARLY was not Rodgers goal.

Rodgers is getting paid $22 million per year... the highest paid guy (who just signed) is now being paid $25 million per year. If Rodgers wanted too, he might be able to go out and get more than $3 million in endorsement and advertising.

The cap currently is 167 million,
Rodgers is getting $22 million or a bit more than 13.17% of the total cap.
Car is getting $25 million or a bit more than 14.97% of the total cap.

Also remember Rodgers signed that contract in 2013
The cap in 2013 was $123 million, so with $22 million Rodgers got above 17.88% of the then cap.

UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
Can't stand when writers like this try to make up a story where one doesn't exist. Why doesn't he make up a story how Rodgers is overpaid when comparing to Brady since Brady won a super bowl more recently.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
nerdmann
6 years ago
Florio is a known Vikings fan who has tried to stir the pot with Aaron in the past. Remember his hit piece about the cancer lady? Dude is a partisan hack.

Aaron's contract is a Ted Thompson special. Seemed like a blockbuster at the time, but has turned out to work very well for the team.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
Not sure what the point of this is(edit: not your comment Zero, but the medias). Aaron signed a big and well deserved contract at the time and has earned every penny of it in my opinion. Carr has been excellent and I believe the Raiders took care of business getting this deal done. Is it wrong Carr is being paid more? Maybe, but the guy was in the MVP talk last year so it is not like he hasn't really been part of the bringing the Raiders back to respectability after way too many years of futility. If you have a franchise QB you lock them up.
nerdmann
6 years ago

Not sure what the point of this is(edit: not your comment Zero, but the medias). Aaron signed a big and well deserved contract at the time and has earned every penny of it in my opinion. Carr has been excellent and I believe the Raiders took care of business getting this deal done. Is it wrong Carr is being paid more? Maybe, but the guy was in the MVP talk last year so it is not like he hasn't really been part of the bringing the Raiders back to respectability after way too many years of futility. If you have a franchise QB you lock them up.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

McKenzie is a Ted Thompson guy. It's quite possible Carr's contract will look like Aaron's in another three years.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Smokey
6 years ago
Are we forgetting anything about Rodgers contract , like a signing bonus , bonuses for setting records or winning Conference/SB games ? Additionally , Rodgers must know that his success partly depends upon his teammates performance. Better , higher priced players help make him look better as well. As goes the Packers , so goes Rodgers carrier ( and his endorsement contracts) .

If Rodgers does not get another contract , he will still remain wealthy the rest of his life . I'm quite sure at some point he will get a sweet contract extension to finish his carrier .

UserPostedImage
sschind
6 years ago
2013...2017 different years different salary cap, you can't compare the two contracts. The only point Florio makes that has merit and the only thing that may have been a mistake on Aaron's part is the 7 year thing, that seems to be a long time in this day and age.

Wasn't he the highest paid player when he signed, or very close to it? When he resigns he will again be the highest paid player or very close to it and a few years after that some other player will become the highest paid unless something is done to stop it.

I honestly don't think Aaron is the type of guy who will automatically take less just so the Packers can sign other guys. He may structure it in a way so that it works well for the team but he will get his money. I'm not saying he will milk the Packers for everything he can but I think when he agrees to a number it will be a number he can live with. He's may not say "Carr got 25 million so I want more" but I don't think he will say "Carr got 25 but it will hurt the team so I'll take 20" The Packers will offer him more than what Carr got and he will take it its as simple as that.

I don't think Aaron is the type of guy to whine about his salary. He knows he has made a lot of money already. He knows he is making a lot of money this year and next year (I didn't add 2019 because I think he gets a new deal before then) and he knows he will eventually make a lot more.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (12h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.