evad04
14 years ago
Bellicheck and the Patriots were the first to use the 1-5-5 sets, if I'm not mistaken. If you have versatile enough LBs (in the sense of being able to pass rush, shed blocks, pass cover, and tackle adequately) then this can be a fun little nickel defense. Those five LBs could go anywhere after the snap. Put it this way: it was invented to stop Peyton Manning.

That said, I don't know if we'll run it. We did run a 2-4-5 last season a few times (again, unless I'm mistaken).
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
beast
14 years ago

Bellicheck and the Patriots were the first to use the 1-5-5 sets, if I'm not mistaken. If you have versatile enough LBs (in the sense of being able to pass rush, shed blocks, pass cover, and tackle adequately) then this can be a fun little nickel defense. Those five LBs could go anywhere after the snap. Put it this way: it was invented to stop Peyton Manning.

"evad04" wrote:

I want to get as many LBers on the field as smartly possible. They seem to be pretty deep. I mean

Kampman, Poppinga and Bishop are all very good against the run.
Barnett, Chillar and Matthews are all very good against the pass.
Hawk and Thompson are very well rounded.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago
When I found this thread, I couldn't help but read through it again. It might be posted a year ago, but it's still quite a thread. Let's see how these formations look now to the new members we got and the new guys we got on defense.

It's so basic and deep at the same time.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Offensive linemen are permitted to interlock legs.

Interesting. I don't know if I've ever seen such a formation before. Seems kind of risky for the linemen's knees if you ask me.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago
I wonder how a Dime set with the ILB being replaced with SS would do...
the coverage should be better... if they could stop the run just as well maybe they could do it?

Collins                                            Blackmon

Matthews         Burnett    BigBy         Jones
    Williams                                                                                    Woodson
                                             Jenkins    Raji    Pickett 

UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago

I wonder how a Dime set with the ILB being replaced with SS would do...
the coverage should be better... if they could stop the run just as well maybe they could do it?

Collins                                            Blackmon

Matthews         Burnett    BigBy         Jones
    Williams                                                                                    Woodson
                                             Jenkins    Raji    Pickett 

"beast" wrote:

Both ILB being safetys? Hell no. Over half our players would be DB's. If they ran it, we'd be so prone to giving up the big play. RB's would probably break at least one tackle on every play against this formation lol. I wouldn't mind maybe seeing the same thing but with Burnett swapping the U for an A and Nick stepping in there. Creeping an extra safety into the box could offer a speedier blitzer or an ability to adjust and help out the passing game.
Porforis
13 years ago
Honestly, I see no point in even semi-regularly running any formation without a safety or with less than two linemen plus at least 3 linebackers.

Without a safety, you're just asking to give up that big play.

As for < 5 linemen/backers, way too easy for the O line to shove people around and for there to be a quick audible to a run for 4-6 yards. Also, you need some big bodies to tie up the O linemen in order for your swift, athletic types to get to the QB. And even in an extreme prevent to win situation, why wouldn't you rush at LEAST 4?
Smokey
7 years ago
This thread needs an update . Who is this forum's resident Professor/Coach/Guru ?

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Smokey
6 years ago

This thread needs an update . Who is this forum's resident Professor/Coach/Guru ?

[cheers]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Oh Beast , this thread needs to hear from you Mr. Know-it all . Dazzle us with the advantages of the 4-2 Defense !

bjm 12121.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

Oh Beast , this thread needs to hear from you Mr. Know-it all . Dazzle us with the advantages of the 4-2 Defense !

So you're admitting that I'm your Guru? 😱

My point is simply that all the NFL teams are getting away from BOTH the 3-4 and the 4-3, and they're all playing some form of 4-2 nickel defense about 50% of the time.

The advantages are pretty clear...
  • Another DB on the field for better coverage as offenses have gone to a lot more 3 WR sets and/or athletic TEs that are more like WRs than the traditional TEs
  • To go along with maximizing the number of pass rushers on the field, as their is two edge rushers and a 3 tech pass rushing DT.
  • Speed... as the extra DB is faster than who they're replacing and those pass rushers are normally faster than the run defenders

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (23h) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
57m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.