Zero2Cool
6 years ago
I just heard he's available. Is this true??
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago
John Dorsey is a FA now.

The Chiefs extended the contract of coach Andy Reid on Thursday but will be looking for a new general manager after parting ways with John Dorsey.

Reid's extension is for five years, a source tells ESPN. The signing was expected. The move with Dorsey -- who arrived in Kansas City as general manager in 2013, a few weeks after Reid -- was surprising.

Chiefs chairman and CEO Clark Hunt said he made the decision not to extend Dorsey's contract beyond the 2017 season, which led to Thursday's development.

"After consideration, we felt it was in his best interests and the best interests of the team to part ways now," Hunt said in a statement. "This decision, while a difficult one, allows John to pursue other opportunities as we continue our preparations for the upcoming season and the seasons to come.''

Although the Chiefs described Dorsey's exit as a mutual decision, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the general manager was fired.

ESPN  wrote:

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago
In an interview with NFL Network, Ian Rapoport said John Dorsey being released came as a shock through out league circles and Rapoport said the Chiefs and Dorsey were in contract negotiations with each other.

I'm purely speculating here, but based on what I'm hearing... I'm thinking the Chiefs owner released Dorsey because he thought that
  1. Dorsey was asking for too much (at least based on the job he's done)
  2. Chiefs are currently over the projected cap budget for 2018 and might need to release some players (speculation is maybe QB Alex Smith) just to get some cap room.
  3. The recent negative reaction by respected released players hurt him

The negative reaction by respected released players were

RB Jamaal Charles - One of the Chiefs all time great players
Charles mentioned how the Chiefs didn't even ask him to reduce his contract, they just straight up released him and that hurt him, but he's happy to get a chance with the Broncos (division rival of Chiefs... remember how people wanted Ted Thompson fired when Favre got to the Vikings).

WR Jeremy Maclin - Very respected everywhere he goes.
The Chiefs kept Maclin all off season, and then after he's in OTAs decided to release him despite all reports sounding like he's back to 100% and looking GREAT... but due to those 2018 cap concerns they released him.

Maclin's biggest complaint was that GM John Dorsey released/fired him by leaving a voice massage on his cell phone... but went on to say Dorsey claimed that the Chiefs were trying to trade Maclin all offseason, which Maclin was both surprised and extremely skeptical, seemingly suggesting that Maclin strongly believed a veteran like him, would know if they were being shopped around or not.

Then multiple media places questioned why they waited so dang long on releasing Maclin, when they had no reason to hurt his chances of picking up a new team or playbook, and because if he got injured they would of been on the hook for his year salary.

And of course this upset QB Alex Smith (and got a lot of questions on it), as this came out of no where... and they were already at OTAs... that's not when a good vet with plenty of talent gets fired.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
6 years ago
There's weirdness there, and it comes at an awkward time for the Packers, if they do want him. Then again, they could probably pay him a little extra as a front office guy for a year, if they want him to come aboard and slide into Ted's place next year. That would be a seamless transition.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
My gut tells me Dorsey and Reid didnt see eye to eye and Reid won out.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

There's weirdness there, and it comes at an awkward time for the Packers, if they do want him. Then again, they could probably pay him a little extra as a front office guy for a year, if they want him to come aboard and slide into Ted's place next year. That would be a seamless transition.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I don't follow the Chiefs team that much (and so they could be better players than I realize), and it's hasn't been 3 years for most of his drafts, but looking at the drafts under Dorsey, I'm not that impressed with his draft classes.

Looks like Dorsey drafted guys with a lot of pure raw athleticism... but a number of them don't seem like the best football players. Maybe he's assuming the best athleticism will developed...

But again, it hasn't been 3 years for most of his draft yet.

UserPostedImage
sschind
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Maybe, maybe not. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure coaches contracts are a little different than players contracts and if he was fired that means there was time left on his contract and the Chiefs either have to pay him or he got a hefty severance package. If the interest is mutual he may be willing to play a little golf and live off the Chiefs dime and wait for Ted to step aside.

I think the weirdness comes with Elliot Wolf. If the Packers are interested in Dorsey I doubt Wolf will stick around and I don' think the Packers will be able to justify not letting him take interviews any more (even though they did allow it this past off season.) Maybe there were rumblings already. I recall a few articles several months back where Dorsey was mentioned as Thompson's replacement?

We will know for sure in the next few days if Wolf goes to KC for an interview. If that happens it may essentially turn into a Dorsey for Wolf trade.
beast
6 years ago
It sounds as the Chiefs, under Dorsey, had no structure or disciplinarian, as well as limited communication.

With the Packers unique situation of having no main owner, I would think the Packers would need extra of all those things... and the Packers have done a great job with structure and growing their guys and need to continue that.

So I'm not sure Dorsey would be a good fit as the Packers GM, if lack of structure, discipline and management are correct in how he'd run things as a GM.

I tried to grab the quotes, but there is more to read if you follow the link.

Sources: Communication, management style were factors in Chiefs’ firing of Dorsey

They managed to stay unified and on message even during tough times, like the NFL’s tampering investigation into the free-agent signing of Jeremy Maclin that led to fines and the forfeiture of draft picks.

“John does stuff and doesn’t tell people why.” Another source said Dorsey’s management style “could wear on people.”

While Reid has a reputation for being structured and process-oriented, Dorsey was described by those who know both men as looser.

“He goes with the flow,” one source said of Dorsey.

That style didn’t always mesh in situations outside of Dorsey’s undeniable strengths, picking and evaluating players. The other areas Dorsey oversaw were contracts and salary cap management — and the Chiefs have been in cap trouble for a while — in addition to the general, day-to-day management of the team.

“He’s not a big disciplinarian or big on chain of command,” a source said, “so people did what they wanted.”

“It’s more about his management skills,” another source added.

kansascity.com  wrote:

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
Which team fired there GM the day after the draft?
Redskins, Jets maybe?
Whichever team would be his only option this year.
He will be hired by someone next year.

Just goes to show, you butt heads with an owner, you will lose.

Another advantage of being a Packer fan.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
34m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.