Zero2Cool
6 years ago
Greg Jennings was one of my favorite Packers while he was with us. Since he left, and even his last season or two where I noticed he whined about every play to the refs, he has fallen out of favor with me. I do agree with him on this, but damn, I wasn't expecting a player to say something like this.

Do you think Mike McCarthy will step on the throat this season?

Coach Mike McCarthy would not put the team on his back after they got a lead, according to former Green Bay Packers wide receiver Greg Jennings.

Jennings was on Fox Sports "Undisputed" on Wednesday, and while discussing why the Packers have only won one Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, Jennings pointed to how McCarthy handles leads as a key reason.

"If we had a lead, our issue wasn't the defense, our issue was Mike McCarthy—cause he would cuff us," Jennings said.

Continue Reading @ SI.com 

KHADRICE ROLLINS wrote:

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
Go back to video right after The Super Bowl win.
There's Greg Jennings praising Mike.
Believe in the process.

Now that Greg is irrelevant he needs something to , in his mind, makes him relevant.

Jennings chose to leave The Packers,
Why, now; does he feel he needs to comment on them!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DarkaneRules
6 years ago
Greg Jennings is like the new Skip Bayless. Give the guy his own show already.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Porforis
6 years ago
It's mike. No, it's aaron chucking it deep all the time. No, it's the defense. No, it's Dom. No, it's Ted not making moves.

What is it with people's need to blame complicated issues on a single issue?
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
Just like a QB, head coaches get the credit when things go right. They also deservedly get blame when it doesn't. Taking the foot off the gas late in games with a lead is more common than not in the NFL, it has become unsportsmanlike to run scores up. What is rare is teams that do keep the foot on the gas, wish Packer were more like that.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
6 years ago
I wonder if Jennings got this idea from his sister??? After all, she said that HE was the greatest WR of all time, didn't she? I wonder why he didn't lead any team he went to after GB to a super bowl win?

I agree to SOME degree. But I STILL say it's the lack of a decent defense. Just look at last season. When our offense DID get a lead, our defense almost always blew it.
Several games last season showed this. We get a good lead, and the D gives it back.
Even the Bears game in Chicago last year. We got I believe a 17 point lead, and the defense gave it up in the second half. Once again late game heroics pulled it out. And that was against a lousy Bears team.
The playoff game against the Cowboys is another example. When your offense gives you a big lead, your defense SHOULD be able to make it stand up. Even a so-so defense should be able to pin back their ears and hold onto a big lead. SHOULD is the word. Ours can't.
We need some guys on D to make a big leap to help our offense this season, or it will end the same as the last several, in disappointment.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago

I wonder if Jennings got this idea from his sister??? After all, she said that HE was the greatest WR of all time, didn't she? I wonder why he didn't lead any team he went to after GB to a super bowl win?

I agree to SOME degree. But I STILL say it's the lack of a decent defense. Just look at last season. When our offense DID get a lead, our defense almost always blew it.
Several games last season showed this. We get a good lead, and the D gives it back.
Even the Bears game in Chicago last year. We got I believe a 17 point lead, and the defense gave it up in the second half. Once again late game heroics pulled it out. And that was against a lousy Bears team.
The playoff game against the Cowboys is another example. When your offense gives you a big lead, your defense SHOULD be able to make it stand up. Even a so-so defense should be able to pin back their ears and hold onto a big lead. SHOULD is the word. Ours can't.
We need some guys on D to make a big leap to help our offense this season, or it will end the same as the last several, in disappointment.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

There is a reason running backs look good late in games when the offense is controlling the clock. It is not that they get better, it is because the defenses get worn out.

When the offense takes the foot off, and quits controlling the time of possession, the defense is naturally going to perform worse.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
6 years ago
Is it really the offense taking their foot off the gas? Or just the normal ebb and flow of a game? The other team's defense figuring it out?
As far as our defense getting "worn out", could that be from them constantly having to chase the other team's offense up and down the field?
A decent defense can hold onto a lead. You KNOW the other team has to throw the ball to catch up. This SHOULD give you an advantage, with your D players being able to take control of a game by putting pressure on their QB. But our D couldn't seem to pressure ANYONE. And our D=backs couldn't cover a WR with a blanket.
Our defense let us down WAY too many times. Look at the NFC title game. This game was a blow out because of our having no defense. One of the few times our offense couldn't get going. Maybe if we had a half decent defense that could have at least gave us a chance, our offense could have got on track.
But we were blown away so fast, there was no chance.
I imagine our offense must have been getting tired of ALWAYS having to be the one to win the game for us.
It's about time our D does something to win some games for us.
The ONLY one I remember from last year was the Seattle game. And many of the turnovers were from dumb luck, not because our guys made great plays. INT's from passes dropped by the WR's, that with luck landed in the hands of our D. Not because our guys were in great position. Only ONE that I remember was a great play by our DB.
I just want a DECENT defense, I'm not asking for the greatest in the NFL. Just one that can hold up their end of the deal when push comes to shove.
And I don't blame Capers for this. He's not on the field letting WR's run free.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
6 years ago
Honestly, I had wanted to be more eloquent on the subject and I really appreciate his work during his time here, except for when he'd inexplicably drop a pass or fumble it to a defender AFTER catching it, but now that he's a pundit and not on our team, he can kindly fuck off, as far as I care.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
beast
6 years ago
I completely agree with the idea that when Mike McCarthy has a big lead, especially late in the game, Mike McCarthy gets into a conservative run out the clock mode (where he continues to runs it on first and second down), which gives the other teams chances to get back in the game.

But Jennings seems to be specifically talking about the 2011 season, and I think he's 100% correct with the 2011 regular season... that the Packers would get a huge lead... and then get conservative on offense, which led to more punts, which left the defense on the field a LOOONG time, and give the other team a chance to come back... that being said... the Packers went 15-1 in the 2011 season. So Jennings just seem to be complaining that Mike McCarthy took his foot off the offense gas, which hurt the offense from moving the ball, which hurt the defense by leaving them on the field more and gave the other team a chance to make the score look closer.

BUT, I care more about the post season... and Mike McCarthy has lost 8 post season games as Packers head coach (4 with Jennings, 4 without Jennings).

In the 2007 Giants NFC Champs game... their largest lead was by 4 points, late in the 3rd, and the Packers were 1 in 10 on Third Down Conversions... that's not taking the gas off the petal, that's the petal being broken. In the other 3 post games loses with Greg Jennings, the Packers either never had the lead, or never had the lead in the last 40 minutes of the game (2009 Cardinals, 2011 Giants, 2012 49ers).

So Jennings seems to be complaining about how the Packers won games, letting the other team have a chance... hurting the players stats/numbers.

Now in the Packers four playoff games without Jennings... (2013 49ers, 2014 Seahawks, 2015 Cardinals, 2016 Falcons)... the Packers have lost the lead in the 4th quarter 3 times. Of course the lead was only above 6 points once... the Seahawks NFC Champs game... which where what Jennings is talking about did bite/hurt the Packers... because Mike McCarthy got into conservative play calling and gave them more chances. But lets no forgot... if the defense made one more stop, if Haha knocked the 2 point conversion pass down, if Bostick blocked and let Nelson catch the ball, or hell if Bostick just caught the ball... the Packers would of won. So that's not all on Mike McCarthy conservative run out the clock play calling...
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.