wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

The NFL has eliminated the back-to-back commercial breaks that bookend kickoffs. While football reigns as the top sport in the United States, even its biggest fans agree that the televised product suffers from the volume and timing of commercial breaks. The NFL has considered these concerns and, according to Green Bay Packers  team president Mark Murphy, plans to do something about it.
During the 2017 season, NFL games will no longer include the "double up" commercial break when a team scores. In the past, a commercial break would immediately follow a touchdown with another arriving directly after the ensuing kickoff. These pauses significantly affected the momentum of the broadcast and might have contributed to the television rating downturn last season.
How the league plans to make up for the lost commercial slots remains to be seen. Perhaps it will add commercials to the other commercial breaks. This could also serve as a precursor to the dreaded advertisements on uniforms (team practice jerseys already include sponsorships).
Still, the removal of one of the more intrusive commercial interruptions in sports should do wonders for the televised product.

Continue Reading @ Jason B. Hirschhorn 

Jason B. Hirschhorn wrote:

Glad to see the extra commercials go. I can live with ads on jerseys. It hasn't hurt the major soccer clubs.
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

Glad to see the extra commercials go. I can live with ads on jerseys. It hasn't hurt the major soccer clubs.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I'm still waiting for the catch... they're getting rid of the double break... but does that mean the single break is gonna last longer? Or commercials or ads during the game, like on a side bar?

I just feel like this positive means a negative will come as a reaction... and maybe not this year. But if this is successful, maybe next year they'll do something to some how try to get that money. Heck, the players too, since they're getting 50% of the profits and complaining they're not getting paid as well as the NBA.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
I hate the NBA argument. They carry 14 players per team. The players get more money because their money is spread out to almost 1/4 of the players per team.
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
The NFL will probably add :30 to every break.
Just my guess.
I will do some checking to see if there has been a change to the game logs for The Browns.
This not only effects TV but Radio also.
Logs should have already been sent, or will be shortly, if there are changes, I will let everyone know.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
Isn't it closer to 3 breaks, TD, commercial, extra point, commercial, Kick-off, Commercial.

All this means is we are going to get stuck listening to Buck and Aikman more. I'd rather listen/see a commercial.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Smokey
6 years ago
Like many of us , I hate commercials interrupting the Movie or Show or Sports Event , but viewing would be cost prohibitive without the advertising . The best Cable/Dish packages already rob many with their high prices to view without commercials .

IMO , Advertising is out of control and invades upon every aspect of our lives . It has become inescapable to the point that it has too much influence on the American character . It's difficult to avoid ads while browsing the internet . AHHH !

The sad part is that it will only get steadily worse .

UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
I hate commercials, but at the end of the day I get to watch my favourite team for a pretty darn cheap price as almost every game is available on basic cable in Canada. When tv bites the dust eventually I guess new schemes will be had. I'd be pretty happy to drop my cable all together if I could just pay to get Packers football games, Game of Thrones and if other sports/football games I can stream as a pay as I go.
sschind
6 years ago

Isn't it closer to 3 breaks, TD, commercial, extra point, commercial, Kick-off, Commercial.

All this means is we are going to get stuck listening to Buck and Aikman more. I'd rather listen/see a commercial.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I don't think they break between the score and the EP do they. Usually by the time they get done showing a few replays of the score they are ready to try the EP.

They need to get so many commercials in during the course of the game so they will have to put them somewhere. My guess is they simply move the commercials that would normally have been between the EP and the KO to after the KO making that break longer. It may not seem so bad because there won't be that action-commercial- tiny bit of action-another break sequence and it will give people more time to go to the bathroom or make a sammich.

They could add another 30 second spot to each break as buckeye suggested but IMO it too variable. The way it is in low scoring games with fewer KOs they have to cram commercials in near the end now if you take away several more ads early in the game by eliminating one of the breaks it will mean even more scrambling to get them all in.

Just found this on WIKI

American football (NFL): The National Football League requires twenty commercial breaks per game, with ten in each half. (Exceptions to this are overtime periods, which have none.) These breaks run either a minute, or two minutes in length. Of the ten commercial breaks per half, two are mandatory: at the end of the first or third quarter, and at the two-minute warning for the end of the half. The remaining eight breaks are optional.[1] The timeouts can be applied after field goal tries, conversion attempts for both one and two points following touchdowns, changes in possession either by punts or turnovers, and kickoffs (except for the ones that start each half, or are within the last five minutes). The breaks are also called during stoppages due to injury, instant replay challenges, when either of the participating teams uses one of its set of timeouts, and if the network needs to catch up on its commercial advertisement schedule. The arrangement for college football contests is the same, except for the absence of the two-minute warning.

I guess it depends on the flow of the game and how many they need to get in whether they show 2 or 3 or 4 ads per break.
Smokey
6 years ago
Every TD is officially reviewed , the networks never miss a chance to line their pockets . The HOF Game will air on Aug 3rd , a good chance to examine this question . I believe the Cowboys will play the Cardinals this year . [thumbup]
UserPostedImage
Poppa San
6 years ago

Every TD is officially reviewed , the networks never miss a chance to line their pockets . The HOF Game will air on Aug 3rd , a good chance to examine this question . I believe the Cowboys will play the Cardinals this year . ThumpUp

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

There are soooooo many breaks in preseason games that I do not expect a good preview during the HOF game.  Networks are paid to show the ads.  They do not "line their pockets" by showing more or fewer than what they were paid for.  How many high scoring games have they flipped to the studio or the announcers just chatted after a score because they have burned through the alloted paid for ad time?  Expect more in game "game breaks" with the former slot filled by a quick 10 second commercial.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I awoke this morning with a headache. I still went to work. She went back to sleep.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.