Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
beast  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2017 4:33:44 PM(UTC)
Evan " said: Go to Quoted Post
The long-time Packer returns in an effort to claim his old job back. On Family Night, the Green Bay Packers’ special teams unit went through a fairly rough night. Kicker Mason Crosby made just five of eleven field goal attempts, some of which were attributable — at least in part — to bad snaps by undrafted rookie long-snapper Derek Hart. Crosby had to abort another attempt in practice this week due to a high snap that Justin Vogel could not bring in.
Rob Demovsky said:
The Packers are keeping Hart -- for now -- but as long as there is no dropoff in Goode's performance, it's likely he will be the opening-day snapper for the 10th straight season. They did not have to release Hart or anyone else to make room for Goode because they had been one short of the 90-man training camp roster limit since they released defensive tackle Letroy Guion last week.
Goode had a workout last week with the New York Jets, which perhaps prompted Thompson to make the move he did Saturday.

I speculate that the Packers plan was to try to replace Goode with someone younger that just as goode (pun), and if they couldn't find someone, then resign Goode a day or two after the final 53 man roster, like they did last year... which allows them to hold an extra player a day or two longer, and hopefully help sneak them to the PS.

But Goode didn't want to wait and had the try-out with the Jets and the Packers knew that so far Hart wasn't as goode as Goode... so they're protecting themselves and locking him up.

I'm still surprised that last year Crosby claimed he's NEVER seen Goode have a bad snap, not even in practice. If true, that's EXTREMELY impressive consistency! ... and not good, but d@mn GOODE!
wpr  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:17:42 PM(UTC)
Welcome back Goode. All is right in the world now.
nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:31:06 PM(UTC)
They just lost Rob Davis from the front office too. Dude has a whole road ahead of him.
sschind  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 9:10:48 AM(UTC)
I'll do a search but where did Davis go. I always liked him even though I had no idea who he was. Actually I knew who he was but what I meant was "who is Rob Davis" I think you know what I mean.

Good news about Goode. LS could be the most under appreciated position on the team and IMO its not the place to try to save a few bucks on the cap because it likely isn't going to be much of a savings. I'm not sure how many teams actually employ one but I would guess they are always looking to improve. A couple of years back when the Bears long snapper of 15 years (maybe not quite 15 but it was a lot) even my most die hard Bears fans friends had no idea who he was. That's what happens when you get a good one, you keep him and don't worry about the position for a decade or more. I'm not saying don't try others out but don't cut your stalwart until you are sure the new guy works out. Had Goode signed with the jets we could have been screwed. Still might be but our prospects are Gooder now.

nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 10:03:39 AM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
I'll do a search but where did Davis go. I always liked him even though I had no idea who he was. Actually I knew who he was but what I meant was "who is Rob Davis" I think you know what I mean.

Good news about Goode. LS could be the most under appreciated position on the team and IMO its not the place to try to save a few bucks on the cap because it likely isn't going to be much of a savings. I'm not sure how many teams actually employ one but I would guess they are always looking to improve. A couple of years back when the Bears long snapper of 15 years (maybe not quite 15 but it was a lot) even my most die hard Bears fans friends had no idea who he was. That's what happens when you get a good one, you keep him and don't worry about the position for a decade or more. I'm not saying don't try others out but don't cut your stalwart until you are sure the new guy works out. Had Goode signed with the jets we could have been screwed. Still might be but our prospects are Gooder now.

THere was some situation in he front office, Davis just packed it in, not sure what it was. I think he's out of football now.
beast  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 12:16:03 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
THere was some situation in he front office, Davis just packed it in, not sure what it was. I think he's out of football now.
Do you have an inside source or where is this info coming from?

gnb.247sports.com said:
Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy said. "We hated to lose Rob, but [it is] a special opportunity for him."

It's not on that link, but I remember another quote where Murphy something to the effect that he didn't think it was his place to announce the opportunity, so he'll let Davis do it, if he so chooses.
rabidgopher04  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 12:40:30 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
I speculate that the Packers plan was to try to replace Goode with someone younger that just as goode (pun), and if they couldn't find someone, then resign Goode a day or two after the final 53 man roster, like they did last year... which allows them to hold an extra player a day or two longer, and hopefully help sneak them to the PS.

But Goode didn't want to wait and had the try-out with the Jets and the Packers knew that so far Hart wasn't as goode as Goode... so they're protecting themselves and locking him up.

I'm still surprised that last year Crosby claimed he's NEVER seen Goode have a bad snap, not even in practice. If true, that's EXTREMELY impressive consistency! ... and not good, but d@mn GOODE!

To save like what, $50,000? I can't imagine his salary was so much that it would be worth it to roll the dice and sign some unproven rookie.
beast  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 1:30:50 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04 said: Go to Quoted Post
To save like what, $50,000? I can't imagine his salary was so much that it would be worth it to roll the dice and sign some unproven rookie.

No, I think it was more about the roster spot than the salary/money.

That way they got
1) an extra guy in training camp, and
2) An extra spot for play with for the 53 cut down, just like last year when their 53 man cutdown had zero LS on the roster... which allowed them to keep CB Makinton Dorleant on the cut down to the 53 man roster, which allowed Dorleant to be eligible for the designated to return list!

If he's not healthy for the start of the season, the Packers might be planning to do the exalt same thing for DT Montravius Adams... especially since NFL doubled it to two players allowed to return.

Of course Geronimo Allison's one game suspension, still allows for them to do that... but Goode would of allowed them to have a second spot to try to hold onto their top PS guy for a extra day and they to sneak them over to the PS late, after hopefully all the other rosters are set.

Poppa San  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2017 5:57:53 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04 said: Go to Quoted Post

Just checked.  It's $150,000 difference.
Cheesey  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:25:27 PM(UTC)
Is Goode bad? Or is Goode gooder???Flapper
Porforis  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 7:11:51 AM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post

I think he's a bit of a Goode two-shoes.
Cheesey  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 4:39:48 PM(UTC)
Porforis said: Go to Quoted Post
I think he's a bit of a Goode two-shoes.

Oh....kind of a "Johnny Be GOODE"????Flapper
nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:37:46 PM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post

Dude gets pushed back after the snap and can't get downfield to cover kicks. But he does get the snap perfect everytime and even can make the laces line up however the kicker wants them.

If they go wih Goode, Janis has a better shot to make the team, because they'll need gunners. Any word on Demetri Goodson?
beast  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 7:23:42 PM(UTC)
Dude gets pushed back after the snap and can't get downfield to cover kicks. But he does get the snap perfect everytime and even can make the laces line up however the kicker wants them.

If they go wih Goode, Janis has a better shot to make the team, because they'll need gunners. Any word on Demetri Goodson?

Seems like you're taking that straight from Michael Rodney's article... But think about something, the NFL doesn't allow people to straight up rush LSer, so why is the LS getting pushed back? ... because it's not so much being pushed back as the Punt OL seems to be taught to hop back a bit and tighten up and help each other, more than they're being pushed straight back. But the LS is the furthest out, so he has drop back more than the others to make the line even. So yes Goode goes backwards at first... but it seems to be by play design.

You can really see it at 4:16 of this video, where the Punt OL is retreating back before the rush even gets to them.

nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:25:59 PM(UTC)
Seems like you're taking that straight from Michael Rodney's article... But think about something, the NFL doesn't allow people to straight up rush LSer, so why is the LS getting pushed back? ... because it's not so much being pushed back as the Punt OL seems to be taught to hop back a bit and tighten up and help each other, more than they're being pushed straight back. But the LS is the furthest out, so he has drop back more than the others to make the line even. So yes Goode goes backwards at first... but it seems to be by play design.

You can really see it at 4:16 of this video, where the Punt OL is retreating back before the rush even gets to them.

It's been commented on in a number of podcasts as well. Goode doesn't get downfield very well, and he's 32 now. It's one of those things where they'll try to replace him every year. If they new guy can get the ball delivered, we can cut Janis for someone who can actually contribute.
beast  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:54:28 AM(UTC)
Goode doesn't get downfield very well, and he's 32 now. It's one of those things where they'll try to replace him every year. If they new guy can get the ball delivered, we can cut Janis for someone who can actually contribute.

So if the LS can run better than the Packers no longer need a good gunner? That makes no sense... it's like saying if the Center can pass block better than we don't need as good of a WR.

The best ST Gunner are important to a ST unit no matter if a LS can run or not.

nerdmann  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 5:53:58 PM(UTC)
So if the LS can run better than the Packers no longer need a good gunner? That makes no sense... it's like saying if the Center can pass block better than we don't need as good of a WR.

The best ST Gunner are important to a ST unit no matter if a LS can run or not.

If you can't have two coverage guys, you need one that's extra good.
beast  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:08:51 PM(UTC)
If you can't have two coverage guys, you need one that's extra good.

If the positions were equals as "coverage guys" responsibility, then that might make sense. But the positions responsibility in their coverage roles are on opposite ends... and LS responsible for snapping and blocking both come before his role of coverage person.

Those gunners being extra good can't be made up by a single guy on the going from below average to average.... because the guys on the lines have to wait until the ball is punted before they're allowed to leave, so they're not going to get many early first crack on tackles like gunners will.

Also how good in coverage is the average LS? ... probably not that good... I much rather be extra good at LS and gunners than the LS is in coverage, because if he's always making the tackles then the punt coverage team probably sucks.
nerdmann  
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:53:17 PM(UTC)
If the positions were equals as "coverage guys" responsibility, then that might make sense. But the positions responsibility in their coverage roles are on opposite ends... and LS responsible for snapping and blocking both come before his role of coverage person.

Those gunners being extra good can't be made up by a single guy on the going from below average to average.... because the guys on the lines have to wait until the ball is punted before they're allowed to leave, so they're not going to get many early first crack on tackles like gunners will.

Also how good in coverage is the average LS? ... probably not that good... I much rather be extra good at LS and gunners than the LS is in coverage, because if he's always making the tackles then the punt coverage team probably sucks.

Well, the new LS can make his way down the field. Laugh

Perhaps you're right, and they'll finally shitcan Janis.
wpr  
#20 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:48:41 PM(UTC)

I like what you have been saying beast. LS and gunners don't compare. The whole OL drops back to block and none of them can leave early.

That said, a few years ago Good or whoever the LS was made a few tackles. He wasn't blocked and ran down the middle of the field untouched. Gunners we're being doubled up on both sides so there were coverage guys who weren't defended. It wasn't just one game. It happened frequently.

Perhaps ST coaches adjusted in the past couple of years.
Rss Feed