wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Hundley feels like a career backup. Not bad at all, but average.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

You can make a decent living as a career backup QB. 10 years then retire and become a HS coach.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago

You can make a decent living as a career backup QB. 10 years then retire and become a HS coach.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

True, but everyone hoping to turn Hundley into a goldmine trade I think will be sadly disappointed. Granted they played against different levels of competition in the game, but it is hard to believe we are gaining much more sticking with Hundley over Callahan.

Maybe I am a bit of a homer for Callahan as he reminds me of a CFL type of QB, but I just find I am more interested in him at the position when he is under centre as opposed to Hundley. The way he plays entertains me more.
DarkaneRules
6 years ago
Jason Spriggs didn't have a good game. I want to Lenzy Pipkins move up the depth chart a spot. He played great.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DoddPower
6 years ago
Hundley sucks.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

True, but everyone hoping to turn Hundley into a goldmine trade I think will be sadly disappointed. Granted they played against different levels of competition in the game, but it is hard to believe we are gaining much more sticking with Hundley over Callahan.

Maybe I am a bit of a homer for Callahan as he reminds me of a CFL type of QB, but I just find I am more interested in him at the position when he is under centre as opposed to Hundley. The way he plays entertains me more.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

They shouldn't expect to receive very much for Hundley. Teams that are in need a of QB for next year will more than likely look at drafting one. There are 4-5 QBs that are rated 1st round ability. Why give up a draft pick for a QB when you can get one, perhaps one with more ability, and keep all of their picks? Yes he does have a few years experience but his ceiling may not be as high long term.

We shall see. If they trade him they prob won't get much more than a 4th or 5th.

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

They shouldn't expect to receive very much for Hundley. Teams that are in need a of QB for next year will more than likely look at drafting one. There are 4-5 QBs that are rated 1st round ability. Why give up a draft pick for a QB when you can get one, perhaps one with more ability, and keep all of their picks? Yes he does have a few years experience but his ceiling may not be as high long term.

We shall see. If they trade him they prob won't get much more than a 4th or 5th.

Well if they're using a 1st round pick on that 1st round QB, then they're losing a draft pick for a QB either way 👅 but also Drew Brees and Kirk Cousins could both be FAs this coming offseason... but if he plays great in preseason/season and flashes a lot, some team that wants someone ready right now might be interested... but I've thought that someone with inside info, or someone wanting to make a bold win now move that would be needed make a big trade for Hundley.

Former Packers GMs (Seahawks/Raiders) don't need a QB, and former Packers Head Coach has a vet and just used a 3rd round pick on a rookie... but if the Saints or Redskins lose their starting QB, they could be in that desperate position... and they have both been willing to make bold moves at times. If the Broncos ever got excited about a QB, Elway is very willing to make bold moves if they think it will help. Also Jets, 49ers and Bills are all rebuilding... though maybe not willing to be bold right now.

One I've looked at possibly is Jaguars, because in 1995 the Jaguars led by Tom Coughlin traded a 3rd and 5th round picks for a Packers QB Mark Brunell (who was selected in the 5th round)... now the Jaguars, led by Tom Coughlin, could be looking for a new starting QB as well.

As for those 1st round QBs... it seems like a number of 1st round QBs have been draft bust... so they're no sure thing either.

Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Paxton Lynch

Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota

Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater

EJ Manuel

Andew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
UserPostedImage
blueleopard
6 years ago
I wouldn't throw the hatchet at Hundley yet. A lot of the passes he threw were dropped.

Let's not be quick to forget that over his rookie season, he finished with a higher rating than any other QB that played in the pre-season. That fact is worth almost nothing, but teams take notice. I'm sure the Browns at least are.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Well if they're using a 1st round pick on that 1st round QB, then they're losing a draft pick for a QB either way 👅 but also Drew Brees and Kirk Cousins could both be FAs this coming offseason... but if he plays great in preseason/season and flashes a lot, some team that wants someone ready right now might be interested... but I've thought that someone with inside info, or someone wanting to make a bold win now move that would be needed make a big trade for Hundley.

Former Packers GMs (Seahawks/Raiders) don't need a QB, and former Packers Head Coach has a vet and just used a 3rd round pick on a rookie... but if the Saints or Redskins lose their starting QB, they could be in that desperate position... and they have both been willing to make bold moves at times. If the Broncos ever got excited about a QB, Elway is very willing to make bold moves if they think it will help. Also Jets, 49ers and Bills are all rebuilding... though maybe not willing to be bold right now.

One I've looked at possibly is Jaguars, because in 1995 the Jaguars led by Tom Coughlin traded a 3rd and 5th round picks for a Packers QB Mark Brunell (who was selected in the 5th round)... now the Jaguars, led by Tom Coughlin, could be looking for a new starting QB as well.

As for those 1st round QBs... it seems like a number of 1st round QBs have been draft bust... so they're no sure thing either.

Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Paxton Lynch

Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota

Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater

EJ Manuel

Andew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder

Originally Posted by: beast 

*SIGH*

I didn't think I would need to spell everything out. That's my fault. The major difference between trading a draft pick for Hundley and using it to get a 2018 rookie is control. If another team trades for Hundley they will have one year of control vs 5 years with a new kid. Add to that the price. The upcoming drafted kids will have a rookie contract. Hundley will be in his second contract. Since he hasn't done anything he won't get Brady-Rodgers numbers but he will get starting QB money.

There is nothing like going back 22 years to prove ones point. 🤣 It worked so well it has been duplicated thousands of times since then. Oh wait- nm.

I never ever ever implied drafting one of these college kids would be a sure thing. Just like trading for Hundley will not be a sure thing either.

UserPostedImage
steveishere
6 years ago
I finally got to watch the game. I thought Reggie Gilbert looked like the best player on the field when he was out there. On that looong drive when everyone was gassed he didn't dog a single snap, he's really trying to make the team.

Montgomery/Williams just might make a really good dual threat group at RB. Who lines up behind them is up for grabs.

I like McCaffrey at WR and that Clark guy too. I don't see how we cut Davis if he keeps returning like that. Id be tempted to IR Dupre and give him a redshirt because I like him too. Janis even ran a decent route and caught a ball over his shoulder. That's going to be a fun battle to watch the next 3 games.

Hundley and Callahan looked pretty good though I don't love how often Callahan has room to throw and still runs around anyways. They both missed on a couple throws they should have had and Hundley didn't get any favors from WRs as far as drops. Callahan had the best throw overall but Hundley put together better drives. Callahan IMO still has a ways to go if he planned to try and take the top backup job away.

Jones/King need a little work but I like how both are willing to play physical and hit people and we won't have to worry about them being physically mismatched which has been a huge problem on D for us lately. I liked Hawkins too, him and a couple other guys missed tackles but he was on the WRs pocket every time they threw at him and contested everything. Pipkins threw his hat in the ring too for a roster spot.

Lowry and Clark both look good, those 2 with Daniels may give us a legit D-Line with a decent vet in RJF as a back up and a promising rookie in Adams and maybe Price as well on the roster.

beast
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: beast 

There is nothing like going back 22 years to prove ones point. 🤣 It worked so well it has been duplicated thousands of times since then. Oh wait- nm.

It's not about proving a point in history, it's that the Jags and put in a similar position and noticing that they seem to be in a real bad spot at the position... as Bortles has been looking horrible... and the Jaguars could be interesting in giving someone else a shot, as the right price.

And the Jaguars owner has started to get more and more upset, and has gotten a bit into win soon / win now angry mode... and their current GM has been their since 2013... could be a bit on the hot seat.

So I think they clearly could be interested in a QB with potential... though Hundley hasn't really had a great showing in a little while... but if it plays very well the rest of the preseason some might be interested in checking him out. Maybe with some sort of conditional draft pick, where if he starts so many games or something.

Blake Bortles hears boo birds during brutal night in Jacksonville

The Blake Bortles era could be on the verge of ending, sooner than later.
There’s another important reason to park Bortles’ butt on the bench. With more than $18 million in injury-guaranteed salary due for 2018, the Jaguars may want to do with Bortles what Washington did with Robert Griffin III in 2015, putting him in bubble wrap and ensuring that he’ll be healthy enough to pass a physical (and be cut) before his 2018 pay becomes fully guaranteed.

PFT  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (7h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (22h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (22h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (23h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (23h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
48m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.