Porforis
6 years ago
The Good:
Adams - Bad drop on his first target but made some great catches after that.

Takeaways - I think our D needs takeaways to have success, we're just not going to consistently force punts.

Punt returns - Pretty self-explanitory

The Bad:
Injuries. Especially with the secondary, really nasty to see Randall with a concussion.

Run game. I'm not super concerned about it moving forward and it'll improve, but I still really don't like Montgomery as RB #1. Less because I don't think he can have success but more because I think he'll have more success with less carries (a la last year) with someone else to take the meat of the carries.

Tackling. I groaned when the announcers very early in the game said "They almost never miss a tackle" in reference to GB's secondary. Way too many arm tackles and people avoiding contact, way too many missed tackles.

Other Thoughts:

Was really liking Callahan until he coughed it up - I think he was trying to pull the ball in but he still should have just gone down. Regardless, I think we have a better chance to win games with Callahan than Huntley should Rodgers go down. Callahan's got a hell of an arm and can get the ball out quickly, generally looks like a less talented version of Rodgers. Hopefully he doesn't try to copy too many of the things Rodgers does that only Rodgers can (almost always) get away with.

Or Huntley could show me more this preseason - but, they both look about the same as last preseason to me. I'm just not nearly as impressed with Huntley as a passer, especially from the pocket.
DarkaneRules
6 years ago
Hundley feels like a career backup. Not bad at all, but average.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
gbguy20
6 years ago
I only watched 2 series but hundley loooked like shit. How is barclay?
yooperfan
6 years ago

Hundley feels like a career backup. Not bad at all, but average.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I agree, I doubt we will ever get more in the way of a trade than where he was drafted.
I'm in no hurry to trade him, but, I would feel very comfortable with Calahan backing up Rodgers.
He seems to provide much more energy on the field than Hundley.
Make no mistake, if Rodgers goes down for any appreciable amount of time, we are toast regardless who the backup is.

PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
For the most part, Hundley didn't look bad, He wasn't helped out very much in the beginning, a predictable first down play call throw to Cobb in the flat, followed by a drop by Adam, then a nice throw but Adams wasn't deep enough on the 3rd down. A fumble on the second series. Third they start inside their own 10, main thing you would want is to see him get them into good position for a punt to flip the field which he did. He got them out to midfield only to stall because of another dropped pass (Janis). Next possession, he throws a nice touch pass to Janis for a TD. I can't comment on his INT because I had stepped out.

I saw at least 3 bad drops of good passes. If not for them his box score would have been much better.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Porforis
6 years ago

I can't comment on his INT because I had stepped out.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

He either severely underthrew one receiver or threw behind another. I'm pretty sure it's the latter - McCafferry I believe got jammed going across the middle, broke out of the jam and Huntley immediately threw the ball when he started moving again. However, the spot he threw it to was basically right where McCafferey was, not where he was going.
Cheesey
6 years ago
There was NO running game yesterday.
Hopefully it will be OK.
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

He either severely underthrew one receiver or threw behind another. I'm pretty sure it's the latter - McCafferry I believe got jammed going across the middle, broke out of the jam and Huntley immediately threw the ball when he started moving again. However, the spot he threw it to was basically right where McCafferey was, not where he was going.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Watching it live I agreed with you (and the announcer). But after rewatching the video I think Hundley was clearly trying to throw the ball to an open Geronimo Allison on the next level behind McCaffery and Eagles LB Kendricks. The ball isn't inline with McCaffery at all but is pretty inline with Allison deeper on the field.
I think this is a link to the video .
 Preseason INT Hundley.PNG You have insufficient rights to see the content.

But Kendricks pulled off a good (illegal but rarely ever gonna get called) veteran bump move on McCaffery where he puts sideswipes McCaffery to slow him down... but it looks like it's an accident where he's just moving around, and not purposely creating contact.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
6 years ago

For the most part, Hundley didn't look bad, He wasn't helped out very much in the beginning, a predictable first down play call throw to Cobb in the flat, followed by a drop by Adam, then a nice throw but Adams wasn't deep enough on the 3rd down. A fumble on the second series. Third they start inside their own 10, main thing you would want is to see him get them into good position for a punt to flip the field which he did. He got them out to midfield only to stall because of another dropped pass (Janis). Next possession, he throws a nice touch pass to Janis for a TD. I can't comment on his INT because I had stepped out.

I saw at least 3 bad drops of good passes. If not for them his box score would have been much better.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Agreed, if we add in those 3 drops, say 10 yards each catch, his stat line would be 12/15 120 yards 1/1. Not bad. He'll have to clean up that INT, but that should come with experience.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
Looking at the replay (on eagles site). Looks like there are a few contributing factors. I would agree, the pass was intended for Alison not McCaffery. McCaffery wasn't even looking for the ball, his window in the play would have been at the other hash after he passed the defenders trailing Alison.

Hundley is looking left off the snap, Kendricks assignment is the RB (jones). He starts coming down as Jones starts ducking out of the backfield. As jones turns outside, Kendricks stops and plants to follow, which is when McCaffery and him collide. Can't call it illegal as the defenders are entitled to position on the field also. The contact moves Kendricks close to a yard inside. If that hadn't happened, he doesn't pick the ball off. Murphy is also being pushed back into Hundley's face. Can't tell for sure but there is contact close to the time the ball is thrown, might have moved the ball off target a little also.

I don't think this was a pick play where McCaffery was intentionally trying to make contact. I think Kendricks was standing in the route and McCaffery had to chose to cut under or go over kendricks. Probably should have gone under, which would have made sure Kendricks doesn't get in Alison's route, and also freezes Kendricks to give Jones a cleaner release from the backfield.

With Murphy being pushed back, this is where a difference can be seen compared to Rodgers. Hundley steps in to the throw, which you would think is good. but in this case it makes him "wider" hips turned. Rodgers would have been on his toes throwing with mostly his upper body and given himself a little extra space before making contact with his RT being pushed back.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (20h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.