nerdmann
6 years ago

A No. 1 receiver is something that every team covets.

The Steelers have Antonio Brown, the Falcons have Julio Jones and the Giants have Odell Beckham.

Two years ago, the Packers realized how much they missed their No. 1 wide receiver when Jordy Nelson was lost for the season with a torn ACL in the preseason. Randall Cobb tried to fill in as that guy since he was next in line, but it became apparent that he’s just a complementary piece.

With Nelson being 32 years old, the Packers have to start thinking about who that next No. 1 might be. And if age isn’t enough of a factor, Nelson is a free agent in 2019. It will be hard to imagine the Packers expecting Nelson to remain the team’s top wideout at the age of 34.

Davante Adams has been ripping up training up. As he enters his fourth year, which happens to be a contract year, he is on the doorstep of blossoming. Last year, Adams had 20 percent of the Packers’ targets, which put him second to Nelson’s 25. Adams was 10th among wide receivers in yards after the catch with 389 — one yard more than the Jones that I mentioned above.

Adams has speed, has worked on his route running but his hands need polishing as he had five drops last year. He isn’t afraid to sacrifice his body to make the catch and has shown an ability to get off the line of scrimmage.

With Nelson transitioning to more of a slot role, which will make Cobb’s job useless, Adams could fill Nelson’s old role of getting down field and stretching defenses.

Adams could be the Packers’ No. 1 wideout. It seems odd because two years ago he looked confused and Green Bay was wondering what they had from their Fresno State product that set career records for receptions and touchdowns in only two seasons.

In the next two years, Green Bay’s receiving corps will look much different. Will upstart Michael Clark have a significant role? Will the Packers land a gem in the next two drafts?

This is Adams’ year to prove two things. First of all, he needs to prove that he deserves a contract. And after what he has shown so far in camp, I think it’s safe to say that he deserves a contract. Secondly he has to prove his role. This is the season that Adams can show that he is in fact a top threat.

And with coach Mike McCarthy opting to use plenty of dual tight end sets, Adams will have plenty of space to operate.

Adams has all the physical tools. Now it’s up to how he prepares and processes.

Because it’s what’s above the neck that separates the No. 1’s.

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

Let's face it, Davante needs to prove it this year. He rebounded well from the previous year, showed what he could do. But now he has to be THE MAN. That's not Jordy anymore
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
isocleas2
6 years ago
Jordy is still the man, but I think he'll share the co-#1 WR spot this year with Adams. As in instead of jordy getting 25% of the looks vs Adams 20% they'll probably be pretty close to each other this year (assuming healthy).

With Bennett, Montgomery, Cobb, Adams, and Nelson there's just too many weapons for the opposition to double cover. So imo they'll all benefit from favorable matchups from time to time which if Rodgers stays as sharp as he is should make for a dominate offense. Being one of the few outside threats Adams maybe stands to benefit more than any of them. Cobb, Bennett, and even Montgomery/Nelson to an extent are going to slice up the interior while whichever WR is lined up outside is going to get alot of 1v1s.
beast
6 years ago

Let's face it, Davante needs to prove it this year. He rebounded well from the previous year, showed what he could do. But now he has to be THE MAN. That's not Jordy anymore

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

NO! Jordy had a rough first 6 games back from ACL injury and then he shown he's still the man!
I don't know what you got against Jordy, but it's not his skills on the field last year, that's for sure!
And we've already been over this in greater detail...

Given the lack of proven depth, Davante is really the only lock.
Nelson and Cobb have a strong edge to make the 53, but neither has been what they once were.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Nelson is a lock period.

Nelson was coming back from ACL injury, had limited to no preseason games and had a slow start to the season. BUT in Nelson's last 10 regular seasons games, he averaged 7 catches, 93.6 yards and 0.9 touchdowns per game.

Over 16 games that average would be 112 catches, 1497.6 yards and 14.4 touchdown... which comes pretty dang close to Nelson's career best of 98 catches (2014), 1,519 yards (2014) and 15 touchdowns (2011).

And remember how lots of people were asking what's wrong with Rodgers last year and what's wrong with Rodgers at the start of the season? ... just happens to be the same period of time that Nelson wasn't playing at 100%.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
6 years ago

NO! Jordy had a rough first 6 games back from ACL injury and then he shown he's still the man!
I don't know what you got against Jordy, but it's not his skills on the field last year, that's for sure!
And we've already been over this in greater detail...

Nelson is a lock period.

Nelson was coming back from ACL injury, had limited to no preseason games and had a slow start to the season. BUT in Nelson's last 10 regular seasons games, he averaged 7 catches, 93.6 yards and 0.9 touchdowns per game.

Over 16 games that average would be 112 catches, 1497.6 yards and 14.4 touchdown... which comes pretty dang close to Nelson's career best of 98 catches (2014), 1,519 yards (2014) and 15 touchdowns (2011).

And remember how lots of people were asking what's wrong with Rodgers last year and what's wrong with Rodgers at the start of the season? ... just happens to be the same period of time that Nelson wasn't playing at 100%.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yancey's a year away. Adams and Yancey should be a good duo for years to come, but hopefully this year with Martellus Bennet and Lance Kendricks drawing coverage, Jordy can still get it done.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders