Porforis
6 years ago

Cut Spriggs. I don't care what year it is. He's an embarrassment to his position.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Good thing he was a second round pick, wouldn't want to waste a first rounder.
uffda udfa
6 years ago

Which means you never have a true debate ... because you only never take lessons despite this entire form proving your logic is clearly faulty to everyone else. It's simple, you can't be objective.

And now you're write your shit all over again... and people will continue to tell you it's clearly wrong... and you're continue to ignore anyone else opinion, because you never have a true debate...

Originally Posted by: beast 

You must not have read this closely as I've said I agree in here more than once.

It doesn't matter how many agree that BB wasn't drafted to play LT because I know he was. It's not an opinion. So, the fault lies with your inability to acknowledge the truth.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Porforis
6 years ago

It doesn't matter how many agree that BB wasn't drafted to play LT because I know he was. It's not an opinion. So, the fault lies with your inability to acknowledge the truth.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I mostly agree with you but need to disagree with the concept that he could be drafted specifically to play LT and have that be the primary factor involved with selecting him, or even the primary reason involved with selecting him for the first round versus second - but not also drafted with his ability to play other positions in mind.

Your links are also... I guess I don't understand why you think they're proof. One's just an article talking about Bulaga and contains zero statements from any Packers personnel - apart from basic softball interview questions to Bulaga.

Your second link basically says they intended him to start at LT. Which in no way, shape, or form gives any insight into whether they drafted him with his ability to play other positions on the line in mind. Just that they intended to start him at LT. That's it.

“He’ll line up right there behind Chad Clifton, with Allen Barbre, and he will take those reps,” McCarthy said of Bulaga, the Iowa lineman taken Thursday night. “It’s very important for him to train and be a left tackle.”

I mean hell, by that incredibly low standard here's two other articles that contradict yours. Is that just fact that he was drafted with the idea of being able to play RT as well in mind?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/383956-green-bay-2010-draft-overall-thoughts-and-grades 

Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa 1st Round (23rd overall)

I'm amazed Bulaga was able to slip so far after being projected to go into the top ten. I believe Bulaga may have been as high as the number 2 top left tackle on the Packers' big board. Bulaga provides instant depth at the left and right tackle positions and is ready to start immediately if Chad Clifton or Mark Tausher go down next season

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/384366-the-reason-behind-the-pick-an-analysis-of-the-2010-packers-draft-class 

I’m curious to what Thompson would have done in hindsight if he had known that Charles Brown from USC would be available in the 2nd round. I doubt Thompson could have drafted both, since Brown is projected only to be a left tackle

Side note - It's 75% bullshit, but you've heard time and time again that the Packers draft for talent, not position. Best player on the board. I say it's bullshit because you don't take say, a killer QB in the first round if he's the best player available when you're already loaded at the position and it's a position where having a ton of talent spread amongst 5 people doesn't get you far. However, as someone that's followed the drafts closely, I'd hope you would have noticed Ted Thompson repeatedly taking players at skill positions (minus QB of course) even in early rounds. Positions that are completely and utterly stocked at the time.

My overall point being, you're hyper fixated on this idea that because he was drafted with the idea of playing LT in mind, they ONLY drafted him with the intention of him playing LT. Unless you have some inside knowledge you aren't sharing - Well, you're not stating facts. You're stating opinion.
nerdmann
6 years ago
He could have played LT. Sherrod had longer arms, so they moved Bulaga to the right side.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
6 years ago

I mostly agree with you but need to disagree with the concept that he could be drafted specifically to play LT and have that be the primary factor involved with selecting him, or even the primary reason involved with selecting him for the first round versus second - but not also drafted with his ability to play other positions in mind.

Your links are also... I guess I don't understand why you think they're proof. One's just an article talking about Bulaga and contains zero statements from any Packers personnel - apart from basic softball interview questions to Bulaga.

Your second link basically says they intended him to start at LT. Which in no way, shape, or form gives any insight into whether they drafted him with his ability to play other positions on the line in mind. Just that they intended to start him at LT. That's it.

I mean hell, by that incredibly low standard here's two other articles that contradict yours. Is that just fact that he was drafted with the idea of being able to play RT as well in mind?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/383956-green-bay-2010-draft-overall-thoughts-and-grades 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/384366-the-reason-behind-the-pick-an-analysis-of-the-2010-packers-draft-class 

Side note - It's 75% bullshit, but you've heard time and time again that the Packers draft for talent, not position. Best player on the board. I say it's bullshit because you don't take say, a killer QB in the first round if he's the best player available when you're already loaded at the position and it's a position where having a ton of talent spread amongst 5 people doesn't get you far. However, as someone that's followed the drafts closely, I'd hope you would have noticed Ted Thompson repeatedly taking players at skill positions (minus QB of course) even in early rounds. Positions that are completely and utterly stocked at the time.

My overall point being, you're hyper fixated on this idea that because he was drafted with the idea of playing LT in mind, they ONLY drafted him with the intention of him playing LT. Unless you have some inside knowledge you aren't sharing - Well, you're not stating facts. You're stating opinion.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Very well said.

The reason he seems to see that incredibly low standard as 100% proof is because it backs his preconceived notion... as he's starting with the conclusion (that they would never ever purposely use a 1st round pick on a RT) and working ass backwards to find evidence that supports this preconceived notion without testing it for validity.

But because others check for validity first, before the conclusion, is the reason why no one else can come to that same conclusion.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
6 years ago

Very well said.

The reason he seems to see that incredibly low standard as 100% proof is because it backs his preconceived notion... as he's starting with the conclusion (that they would never ever purposely use a 1st round pick on a RT) and working ass backwards to find evidence that supports this preconceived notion without testing it for validity.

But because others check for validity first, before the conclusion, is the reason why no one else can come to that same conclusion.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I mean to be fair, based on everything we know they did draft him primarily because they wanted a LT. Ability to play other positions on the line/raw talent also factored into it too. So it's less that I disagree that they drafted him to be a LT, which is true. It's that I disagree that it was the only motivation and if he had been drafted as an RT instead of LT and played RT his entire Packers career, nobody would be talking about this except maybe a quick "We spent a first round pick on a RT?" which is hardly unprecedented.
uffda udfa
6 years ago
BR is being cited as proof? LOL. It's a quote from a guy in his mom's basement, almost, that is being used as proof over what Mike McCarthy said about him after he was selected. Mike McCarthy said nothing about him playing RT. They wanted him to be a LT. He couldn't play that position and he spent his career where he could. The org wanted Sherrod to be a LT...he couldn't play it either. He ended his career with a broken leg playing GUARD. He was not drafted to be a G nor was that thought in their heads when they took him. It is no different than Datone Jones failing on the DL and being moved to LB. The exact same thinking. Had Datone been a very good OLB it would've mitigated his failure and more acceptable even.

Nobody seems to understand that the org didn't want a RT in Round 1. Clifton was nearing his end. Bulaga played LT in college. Was a first round pick. PFWT said earlier in this thread that is so very hard to flip flop a guy because LT and RT are so different. Why would we draft him even thinking of making that kind of move? We didn't. It was done out of necessity just like he was moved to LT out of necessity when Newhouse failed. This is basic simple logic that refuses to be followed for the sake of winning an argument.

I've said over and over Bulaga turned out to be a fine player. He, however, will always and forever be a terrible PICK. I guess you're unable to separate those two things without even going through all his failure at LT caused this org in the following years.

It's absolutely crazy how little people know/remember about why we drafted Bulaga and are trying to use the drafting of Spriggs to fit the Bulaga narrative. This is from one of the articles I posted:

And going into the draft last week, there was no player on the Packers' roster who clearly looked capable of eventually taking over for Clifton or even backing him up. Daryn Colledge struggled when asked to move from guard to tackle in the wake of Clifton's injury; T.J. Lang fared slightly better, but still is seen as a long-term right tackle or guard.

That's where Bulaga comes in.

and then this from the other article:

Two days later, the Green Bay Packers made it clear where first-round draft pick Bryan Bulaga will begin his career — at left tackle.

Coach Mike McCarthy made that announcement — most expected it to be the case — late Saturday afternoon following the conclusion of the NFL draft.

“He’ll line up right there behind Chad Clifton, with Allen Barbre, and he will take those reps,” McCarthy said of Bulaga, the Iowa lineman taken Thursday night. “It’s very important for him to train and be a left tackle.”

It was VERY IMPORTANT for him to be a LT...that's why they drafted him to be one. He couldn't do it and failed into being a fine RT. I know to the crowd here that's just not how it happened. The org didn't care what position he played as long as he was a good player? Umm, no. No. No. No. A million times no. Drafted in Round 1 to play LT...no other reason, period. Geesh.

Continue arguing against the truth. We are in the era of fake news.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (6h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (22h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (22h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (22h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (23h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.