Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
Those of you concerned about depth; are comparing this roster to some idealistic roster or those of the 60’s or middle 90’s. Maybe even 2010, when we had a great QB making 1/28th of the cap instead of 1/8th today. Depth is a thing of the past, EVERY team is an injury or two away in EACH position group from disaster. GB 2017 roster is easily a SB winning capable roster.

Let’s compare this roster to the won that finished season 8 of 9 [5 of 6 against playoff teams] in 2016:

Offense:
Huge Upgrade at TE: Bennett and Kendricks for Cook, Perillo
Upgrade at WR: Allison, Davis one year more advance and Nelson 1 yr removed from injury
Upgrade at RB: Monty starting out at RB and Youngsters v. last yrs version of Monty, Starks, Jackson, Davis et el
Slight Downgrade OL: Evans for Lang. Depth: Springs, Murphy 1 year better; Patrick for Barclay, a slight downgrade; but Barclay will be back last half of season.

Defense:
Upgrade at DL: Francious v. Guion =Wash; Clark and Lowrey will be MUCH better
Slight Upgrade at ILB: Martinez will be 1 year better
Wash OLB: Brooks for Peppers; Fackrell 1 year better; perhaps a good half year from Biegal; no Datone, who might be back, but not a huge loss. And now he knows he’s close to getting bounced out, he might be really good when he comes back.
Secondary: Huge upgrade across the board. Gunter 6th on depth chart instead of starting; Brice, Evans 1 year better. Hyde’s loss is meaningless.

ST: Punt returns might be a solid downgrade; Hyde was great. Davis might end up better, we’ll see. Vogel kinda scary; but even if he freaks out, a vet off scrap pile cant be much worse than the guy we had last year.
uffda udfa
6 years ago
Save for your "secondary" grouping not wanting to break them into CB and S, I agree. If you broke it down at CB and looked at what we came into the season with vs. what we're coming into this season with there is quite the disparity. We had Sam Shields as our #1 CB, and we felt like we may have found 2 guys who could play in Randall and Rollins after the Hayward departure. Technically, at one point in the off-season we had Shields and Hayward and the steady and unspectacular Hyde. That duo is almost unquatifiably better than what we have now with House and who? Who is starting outside opposite House? Do we know?

We now have House with Randall and Rollins both coming off beyond brutal second seasons. King didn't show anyone that we should have any confidence he's going to be a factor for us. Gunter is still here and still can't run. Pipkins is a developmental type, Hawkins is a wildcard.

This CB situation is dire compared to last off-season...it's not even close. Not sure we're generating more pressure from the OLB spots so the DL better be much better and it looks to be better, just not sure how much.

Give me how we felt about 2016 going into 2017 any day on defense, not offense.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
6 years ago
Last offseason doesn't really matter. We didn't have Shields last season when it mattered. What we did have is two starters that needed groin surgery and Hyde/Gunter. House is going to most likely be a much better starter than Gunter and Randall/Rollins should be better than they were when injured. Didn't you want Haden? He's been "beyond brutal" for 2 seasons now. Wasn't any better than even Gunter last year.
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

If you broke it down at CB and looked at what we came into the season with vs. what we're coming into this season with there is quite the disparity. We had Sam Shields as our #1 CB,

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Ya gotta pay attention: I’m comparing the SB quality team we fielded the last 9 games and Shields was long gone. Hyde played some OCB in this stretch; but Rollins was injured, who was clearly ahead of him on the depth chart. And now we got House and Hawkins and King might be better by the end of season. Hyde’s play in slot will EASILY be replaced. And last year at this time Gunter’s reps were very limited; he’ll be a lot better this year as well. Our CB group in 1000x better than the group that won 8 of 9 against 6 PO teams.

In playoffs Dallas went FG, Punt Punt, then Burnett was replaced by Brice, and the flood gates opened. If that happens again, Brice, Evans and maybe Jones later in season will do MUCH better. In Atlanta, Rollins didn’t play Brice had 3 snaps and Hyde went out in 1Q too. And Burnett played but he was an injured shell of himself. If we lose 6 of our 9 top secondary guys again, we will be infinitely better and though Atlanta will still shred us again, the O should be able to outscore them.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (16m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.